Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
A monopod is well worth the effort for me, I tire easily holding a camera at the ready for extended times and a monopod relieves that problem as well as providing some stability.

I even use a mini-monopod while seated at a table, or seated in the stadium. For these purposes I built a three section monopod legs removed from a small tripod. The three stackable segments fit into my camera bag. I use a Y shaped yoke to support the camera lens.

One section is the right height for use while seated at a table, two sections are right for sitting in a chair, and three while standing in a museum etc.

Iowa Dave

A 1/4-20 hanger bolt was glued into the top of each segment, and a 1/4-20 coupling nut was glued into the bottom of each segment to couple them as needed. I added rubber feet to each segment (not shown.)
Very ingenious!

07-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Jem

Your photo really says it all.

It is not as much about holding the lens steady, but simply just holding it.

while they might give an extra stop for hand holding, they do take up all of the weight holding.

This is why for example YJD thought it was useless, because his lens was hand-holdable already
I did finally get a nice (and low $) mono in part to deal with a 500 f8 Mirror tele I'd scored. It worked and was a bit more flexible/compact /taller than my tri.

For my 300 4.0 tele or 60-300,I found I'd sooner hand hold,though SOME situations..maybe I WANT to shoot a slower film,smaller aperture. My main Tri was bought to be light and mobile...but...fact is it stays home usually. The Mono is less fuss.
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #33

I find that I use my monopod more than the tripod. I have only used it with the larger lenses so, I can't say if it would be useful for the kit lens or 55-300. I use my on the Bigma and Sigma 70-200 2.8 and have found it very helpful. Not only to steady your shot but just to support the lenses at events. I will have to try it with some shorter lenses and see if it just as useful. It has a shoulder strap and can be packed without knocking into too much. Still, I would not carry it into a china shop over my shoulder.

Velbon Sherpa Pro Pod 6 (carbon fiber) with Manfrotto 234 RL head with quick release plate.

These two shots were with the Bigma on the monopod from the cruise ship deck. The planes appeared out of nowhere so no time to setup. Just drop the leg to the deck and try to find them from the engine noise.

Glacier about 1 mile away 160mm

Planes almost the same distance. 270mm

07-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

It is not as much about holding the lens steady, but simply just holding it.

while they might give an extra stop for hand holding, they do take up all of the weight holding.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote

Normally I use it the most when I wish to be mobile with the FA* 300/2.8, but that's not normally "lighter gear"... Seriously, it's just used to hold up the lens - I'm using both hands (and my face) to dampening everything when shooting. The image clarity using this technique even at very low shutter speeds has proven to be incredibly good/successful.
Hi Jason,

It took a while, but I agree with the points made by LG and ML here.

I'm a birder, but I like to roam around and shoot as opportunities present themselves as opposed to setting up a blind and primarily waiting for my subjects to show up. I regularly use a 300/2.8 with or without TCs, and though I find this setup handholdable, it's just barely so, and only for short periods of time. I found that a monopod helps here, allowing me to hold the cam/lens combo to eyelevel for long lengths of time while I scan around for likely subjects.

If used with good tecnique, it can help a lot when shooting in relatively low light, allowing lower ISO and shutter speeds than handholding, but primarily I have to say that I use mine to support the camera's weight and prevent fatigue more than to steady the camera.

Scott

07-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I never go out without my monopod.

I use it mainly for dusk and night shots at fire scenes (where a stable camera is essencial but a tripod is not "fast" enough and would get in the way).

I also used it at the Aviation Museum with my wired remote to get cool shots from strange perspectives that would normally require a ladder (one of the Musuem employees saw me and commented that was a really cool idea).

Here is one where I held the fully extended monopod way above my head and triggered the shutter with my wired remote.

A monopod isn't the most stable tool out there, but it is still a very usefull tool.

Pat
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianK Quote
I find that I use my monopod more than the tripod. I have only used it with the larger lenses so, I can't say if it would be useful for the kit lens or 55-300. I use my on the Bigma and Sigma 70-200 2.8 and have found it very helpful. Not only to steady your shot but just to support the lenses at events. I will have to try it with some shorter lenses and see if it just as useful. It has a shoulder strap and can be packed without knocking into too much. Still, I would not carry it into a china shop over my shoulder.

These two shots were with the Bigma on the monopod from the cruise ship deck. The planes appeared out of nowhere so no time to setup. Just drop the leg to the deck and try to find them from the engine noise.
Nice grab.

I think you'll find a monopod to be of benefit with any lens where it's worth the trouble to set up. If it's there and won't be in the way, you may as well use it.
07-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I have a simple monopod that has a belt clip at the foot plus a shoulder brace attachment that allows me to stabilize for macro stuff that would take too long to set up a tripod.

07-14-2009, 02:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

One great advantage of the monopod that I don't see regularly noticed it's what I call the "dissuasive effect".

What tha heck is that? (you ask). Well, when shooting on a "big city" environment, specially at night or at late afternoon, I never part without my Manfrotto monopod with a 234RC Head hanging upside down on my hand. Street thieves may look at my camera but also would take note of that (apparently) massive weapon that I'm carrying around.
07-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have a simple monopod that has a belt clip at the foot plus a shoulder brace attachment that allows me to stabilize for macro stuff that would take too long to set up a tripod.
Do you have a pic of that you could share? I've given some thought to getting something like the shoulder brace. I'd be curious to see how the belt clip works.

Thanks!
Heather
07-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Do you have a pic of that you could share? I've given some thought to getting something like the shoulder brace. I'd be curious to see how the belt clip works.

Thanks!
Heather
I'll shoot some and up load them . . .
07-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Here is every thing disassembled. Normally the belt adapter is clipped to the strap ring at the head when not in use. The shoulder brace is made by Manfrotto (# 366). The monopod was made by Sunpak and there was nothing special about it except for the potential for the belt adapter. There is a stud adapter for the monopod head to increase the size up from the standard 1/4-20 tripod socket. The K2 and film bottle are for size reference. I keep it assembled most of the time and the whole thing folds compactly. It is possible to sit on a bench, chair, picnic table etc and clip the pod to the belt and use the stock and have a very stable setup. I have used it with my A 400mm f5.6 and K200d.

This is the belt clip . . .

It plugs into the monopod foot . . .

The length of the stocks is adjustable as is the monopod . . .

07-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Here it is folded up . . .

Edit: I got the Manfrotto from BH. Its gone up a few dollars. It came with the 1/4-20 to 3/8 adapter and is shown installed on top of the brace in the BH pic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_...Brace_for.html

Last edited by Blue; 07-14-2009 at 09:16 PM.
07-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Here it is folded up . . .

Edit: I got the Manfrotto from BH. Its gone up a few dollars. It came with the 1/4-20 to 3/8 adapter and is shown installed on top of the brace in the BH pic.

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 361 Shoulder Brace | 361 | B&H
Blue,

I have a cheaper version of the same monopod, gave up on it as it was just too flimsy at eye level to hold my K20D and any bigger lens. The belt clip idea is really a nice feature and it worked as advertised. Finally went with a "real" monopod, Benro MC-66n6. I think I picked mine up at the local Best Buy.
07-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #44
jem

Interesting - I like the idea. Thanks for the detailed info Blue.

How well does that work with telephotos in both stationary and tracking shots?

Edit: The belt clip came with the monopod?

Last edited by jem; 07-15-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Additional question
07-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Interesting - I like the idea. Thanks for the detailed info Blue.

How well does that work with telephotos in both stationary and tracking shots?

Edit: The belt clip came with the monopod?
When I use it with the A 400mm, I attach it directly to the lens. The belt clip came with the monopod. It takes a little getting used to but then it is great.

Edit: When not in use, the belt clip attaches to the key ring where the strap is attached to it.

Last edited by Blue; 07-15-2009 at 06:27 AM.