Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

kata bags

Looking for a camera bag and the Kata 3N1 really looks interesting. Anyone with any experience with the brand.

Pentaxians rule

06-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Kata is a good brand ..

I just got this bag 3 days ago

Lowepro - SlingShot 100 AW

its lowepro not kata thou

I love this bag and wanted to write a good review bout it... it makes my life so much easier and its perfect for photographers on the go like most of us Pentax shooters
06-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not affiliated with Kata whatsoever.
Just feel like I have to make this disclaimer since I've been recommending my Kata bag several times in this forum already.

Here is my Kata 3N1-30 photo that I shared the other time for those who is interested:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/57607-adding-second-str...tml#post569013

The only one thing that I wish Kata includes in this bag is a lock strap across the chest that connect the two straps when we use it as a backpack.
The reason is because this is a big bag and when fully loaded, it gets heavy.
That chest lock strap will help to distribute the weight when carrying this.

But I can understand why they don't add that. I think it will make the sling/cross position harder to use.
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I am not affiliated with Kata whatsoever.
Just feel like I have to make this disclaimer since I've been recommending my Kata bag several times in this forum already.

Here is my Kata 3N1-30 photo that I shared the other time for those who is interested:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/57607-adding-second-str...tml#post569013

The only one thing that I wish Kata includes in this bag is a lock strap across the chest that connect the two straps when we use it as a backpack.
The reason is because this is a big bag and when fully loaded, it gets heavy.
That chest lock strap will help to distribute the weight when carrying this.

But I can understand why they don't add that. I think it will make the sling/cross position harder to use.
that's a nice setup... and very nice lenses!!

Kata are good.. I used Kata not for photography but as a soldier in the Israeli army... way back in a different life time... long time ago...

this time I got the lowepro thou and I love it... I am sure you cant really go wrong with both brands

06-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just bought a Kata 3n1-20 and am quite happy with it so far. I wanted a smaller pack than my Tenba and the 3n1-30 was a bit too large for my wants. I spent the day at a Renaissance Festival this past weekend with it and it was very comfortable. I had the K20D w/ grip, 50-135, Tam17-50, DA12-24 and AF540 packed in it - plus extra diapers, and sippy cup of water for my son in the upper compartment.

Posted pics of it *packed* here
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My university uses them for (expensive) video equipment that is checked out to our students and faculty. As far as I can tell, they are very durable, protect the equipment well, and aren't excessively heavy. I like them.
06-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't know the 3N1, but as I posted here a while ago, I like my DC 439 shoulder bag a lot - just what I've been looking for in a nice well made but small and simple that can carry a decent amount of stuff comforably in a small space. There are smaller sizes too that would seem perfect for those literally wanting to carry just a camera and a couple of small primes - I doubt you'd find a smaller or well-made bag for that purpose. I've heard nothing but good things in my limited research on the brand.

06-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

Kata are good.. I used Kata not for photography but as a soldier in the Israeli army... way back in a different life time... long time ago...

this time I got the lowepro thou and I love it... I am sure you cant really go wrong with both brands
That makes me curious: Are Kata a military supplier as well?

People do seem to really like them: I don't think I'd care for the yellow lining on some (very handy for finding things in there, I'm told, but I'd tend to not want to attract attention with the flash of yellow when I opened it. Maybe if I ever needed a backpack, though, that wouldn't matter as much. )
06-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
That makes me curious: Are Kata a military supplier as well?

People do seem to really like them: I don't think I'd care for the yellow lining on some (very handy for finding things in there, I'm told, but I'd tend to not want to attract attention with the flash of yellow when I opened it. Maybe if I ever needed a backpack, though, that wouldn't matter as much. )
I am not sure what is the history but it used to be an Israeli company and they used to make bags for army use. today they only do photography stuff and I am pretty sure like every thing else most of the bags are made in china ... I am almost sure they are not working inside Israel any more but I might be wrong...

PS I am not a soldier any more I am a man of peace I live in NY and I love all
06-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am not sure what is the history but it used to be an Israeli company and they used to make bags for army use. today they only do photography stuff and I am pretty sure like every thing else most of the bags are made in china ... I am almost sure they are not working inside Israel any more but I might be wrong...

PS I am not a soldier any more I am a man of peace I live in NY and I love all
Hrm. Interesting, there. Seems a logical sort of crossover. I have often found military stuff pretty useful. Seems I'm always lookng for things with pockets. And to keep the sun off. Sometimes everything feels like an expedition to me. I happened to meet a soldier today who was talking about the new US uniforms and how comfy they are. I should have asked how good they are with the sun, come to think of it: for some reason it didn't occur to me.

Peace is good, though.
06-03-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you
If I'm not mistaken, last time when I removed the tag, I read somewhere that it's Made in Israel or maybe designed in Israel. I'll try to see if I still can find that tag.
That made me suspicious too at that time as to whether this bag is made by millitary supplier or not
06-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Kata is still designed in Israel, but it is owned by Vitec, the British investment group that owns Bogen, Manfrotto, Gitzo and a bunch of other camera-related companies. My guess is that as soon as they were bought (2005), they spun off the military division as a separate entity to retain "native company" contract status. Same thing happens with US military suppliers... so that's my educated guess.
06-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I have two Kata backpacks (DR-465 and Sensitivity V). All I can say is that the quality of their gear is top-notch. Each bag is designed with every detail in mind. Depending on your needs, I'm sure there is a Kata bag for you.

Good luck gear hunting.
06-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a Kata DR467 (backpack) and I love it, I beat on it and it looks and works fine.
06-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Inactive Account

As mentioned in another post I have a Kata DB455 for lappy and camera. The bag is very good quality for what I paid for it; sturdy, tough material and comfy to carry.