Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Mecamat 45-20 Documentation

I just got a Metz 45 CT-1 flash gun and a Mecamat 45-20 remote sensor. There is no documentation.

I can figure out the 45 CT-1, but need to verify some operations of the 45-20, in particular the "aiming" part.

If you happen to have a copy of the 45-20 manual, let me know how I can obtain a copy.

I also have a Metz 45 CT-4, and hopefully another Mecamat 45-20 coming some time next week (crossing my fingers). My ambition is to modify the 45-20 so it works with the 45 CT-4. The CT-4 requires Mecamat 45-46, which is similar but has different pin-out. It's farfetched, but I hope someone has done that before.

A copy of the 45-46 manual is the first step.

For whatever reason, Mecamats are very difficult to find these days.

06-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What information do you require about the 'aiming' of the Mecamat?

I have several 45 CT-1's and several Mecamats for them. I'm not sure what version I have a manual for. I can look this evening.

I think that Mecamats were not produced much even in their prime which accounts for their scarceness today.

I don't know if you've found this link but I found it interesting:

shutterworks, estd. | Fotografie und Multimedia in Ulm

Michael
06-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Michael, for the link.

The setup I have is the first in the table: 45 CT-1 (old) + 45-20, high voltage circuit.

I think I have figured out most of their operations. The only thing I don't know how to use is the little tab at the back of the 45-20. It can slide to either side of the main body of the 45-20, exposing two little notches, and with the letter M and the symbol for infinity. I think its purpose is to aim the light sensor, but don't know how.

The trigger voltage from the 45-20 is 220V! Last night I put together a DIY version of the Wein Safe-Sync to bring the voltage down to 3.5V. I can fire the flash with my K1000, but not with the K10D!
06-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

Glad you found the link useful.

The little tab is a sighting unit, M is .5m or less and infinity is for .5m to infinity.
You pull it out (as you discovered) until the appropriate notch clicks into place. On the front of the Mecamat (where the lettering is) is the other part of the sighting unit, you rotate it to the left or right as required and use the small notch to sight through the large hole.

The angle of coverage of this sighting unit is 12 degrees.

The sensor lens on the front can be pulled out (forgive me if you've already discovered this!!) to change the angle of coverage to 12 degrees, the normal coverage is 25 degrees

Yes, they do have a high voltage don't they. I purchased a copy of the Wein safe sync to keep my K200D and then K20D safe.

I rather fell in love with the old Metz flashes last year and now have 8 of them from Ebay (7 work well, 1 misfires but since it was only $1.00 who cares!). 6 of them have the correct Mecamats as well. I found Metz technical support in Germany quite good, they responded to a question within an hour!!! They couldn't help me too much since the flash was over 25 years old but they could recommend a replacement sync cable part # and pointed me to my distributor in Canada. I was quite impressed!!!

I admire anything that's 25 years old and that you can still buy a replacement battery pack for since the design hasn't changed in all that time. (Well, the newer ones are far more digital but they still look the same)

Hope all this helps you somewhat.

Michael

06-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Michael, for the info.

When I dissassembled the 45-20 to see if there was enough room inside for the components of the DIY Safe-Sync, I discovered that the front panel (where the large hole is) could be rotate out and that the sensor lens could be pulled out.

I figured out the sensor lens pulling out is the "tele" setting (the Sunpak has something similar, but via a sliding switch) but I didn't know that the hole was for sighting. Now I do know.

I like the old flash guns as well. I thought I was bad but you are worse. Currently I have a Sunpak 611, a Sunpak 522 (with remote sensor), a Metz 45 CT-4, and a Metz 45 CT-1 (with remote sensor). I also have several hotshoe-mount flash units. I like handle-mount flash so much that I recycled a broken Sunpak 522 into a handle to mount shoe-mount flash guns.