Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Doesn't do it for me

I did find it useful for a few weeks after my rotator cuff surgery, when right arm mobility was quite limited- I was able to hold it in landscape orientation and use the shutter release on the grip effectively.

Since then I've ditched it. The placement of the green button is poor and one has to be aware of it; my hand has bumped it by accident and the resulting exposures (until I figured it out!) were not what I expected! That and I always use the AF button (custom menu option), and the lack of an AF button on the grip makes it awkward in portrait orientation.

I see the new grip for the K-7 has been perfected! Now THAT I'd buy in a heartbeat but unfortunately I can't afford the purchase of a K-7 that necessarily comes first!

06-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
That's quite reassuring. I guess I've been using the K10 then K20 for long enough that it just doesn't feel 'right' - I think given how spectacularly the camera without the grip just fits me like it was designed around me, I was expecting the same experience with the grip.
I'll use it on holiday this week and see if it 'clicks' for me (if you'll pardon the pun).

ETA: Thanks for your input, folks!
I really felt the same: without the grip, the camera just fits me perfectly, ...hard to improve on that, so at first I was pretty ambivalent about it, but it's OK. Does help me to have a bit of extra ballast, with some lenses, anyway. I'm still planning on adding a bit of a grippy thumbrest. I'd encourage you to give it a try, does take a little getting used to.

I definitely like not having to worry so much about having battery charge and blank card and all when I switch bags or whatnot.
06-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In a previous thread of the same subject, everybody LOVED the grip. I got it to hopefully add some stability in the portrait orientation with the 55-300 which tends to wobble otherwise. I guess it helps, and I keep it on the body.
06-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The K20D grip was great but the K-7 grip looks much improved.

Here's a photo:

The K20D grip looks great with the sweeping lines that connect to the body but the grip area is beefier on the K-7 grip. Wish they made the K-7 grip's lines "connect" or "flow" with the body

Last edited by soccerjoe5; 06-04-2009 at 11:34 PM.
06-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #20

just received mine, not used it yet except just around the house.

Impressions?

1, looks great and makes the camera HUGE!
2, adds quite a weight to the camera = stability
3, makes the camera more comfortable for my hands as they are quite large and the extra leverage takes the pressure off my little finger somewhat.
4, feels more stable when steadying with my other hand..

all in all except the extra weight.. it feels right...

i'll tell you how i go once its used in action!

oh.. the bad side?

i now need a new back as the grip and the sigma 28-70 2.8 wont fit at all!

Thanks

Steve
07-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #21

Original Poster
Apologies for not replying to this thread earlier, life has been getting in the way, of late!
Many thanks to everyone who commented, I took your advice and tried the grip out on holiday for a week and yesterday used it all day at the Goodwood Festival of Speed (shot 16Gb of pictures at Goodwood and didn't need to change batteries - superb!), and with that experience behind me I can say that I have come to appreciate the grip a great deal. I still occasionally forget I have it fitted and take portrait shots with my hand cranked over the top, and I sometimes forget to turn the grip off and end up focusing and taking random pictures with my little finger, but other than that it's all good.

Thanks again folks!

V.
07-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #22

Appreciate the comments re the BG-2. I have been using one for about 3 years. First on the K10D and more recently on the k20D. The advantages, as I see them, are:
1) Ease of taking vertically framed pictures;
2) The additional mass makes it easier to take longer exposures with longer focal lengths;
3) The whole package simply feels beter (and I do not have extra large hands);
4) The additional battery capacity when needed;
5) The storage for an additional 16 GB of memory (or whatever you are using);
This is silly, I know, but it lets you hold up your head among the pros.
In short I would not be without one.
Ron McDermott
Queensland, Australia

07-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photog Quote
are using);
This is silly, I know, but it lets you hold up your head among the pros.
In short I would not be without one.
Ron McDermott
Queensland, Australia
Yes you are right and no, it is not silly. It just makes good sense.
07-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #24

res3567
You wrote, "Setting the File Format" - NMice to hear from you. Keep on shooting.
Ron McDermott
07-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #25
Forum Member

the Grip is my camera heart and soul!!! I couldnt live without it, i tried removing it and wow does my pentax K20D look tiny since im used of having always the grip on lol
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #26

ohfrankyboy You wrote "the Grip is my camera heart and soul!!! I couldnt live without it". You are so right. It makes a good camera Great.
RonMcDermott
07-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I only take my grip out for travelling light. It's great otherwise
Same here. Only when traveling light, or in some cases I absolutely want to minimize the camera's weight compared to my tripod for maximum stability (long exposure bracket shots).

Those are about the only times my grip comes off the camera.
12-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #28

I bought my k7 used with the battery grip a few years ago and absolutely love it! Even when shooting in landscape it gives that extra hold, no need to have a pinky hanging off the body. Have tried w/out but it just isn't near as comfortable. Would highly recommend!
12-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I found the K7/K5 sized grips a lot more useful. The body is smaller and benefits more from the grip, and the ability to use AA batteries is a big plus. I did not use the BG2 very much.
08-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #30

Hi Guys, I've had the K10D and D-BG2 for years by now. As to the D-BG2 for me the biggest advantage is it doubles the power for shooting: if you choose "automatic" on the options for battery selection the camera will pick one than the other. If you do camera trapping like me it will last throughout the night, otherwise with K10D there is no way...