Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Brand New Cybersync's not Working :-(

Just got my CyberSync CST, and CSRB units in today about an hour along with FlashZebra's part # 0065 PC to Hotshoe adapter and nothing is working.

Using my AF360FGZ flash, set to wireless on the K20D, trigger and receiver is set to same frequency. tried it with transmitter in hot shoe, with transmitter plugged into sync, with transmitter plugged into both.. AF360 set to wireless S. Tried on M, A, P ..... nothing, zip .... tried it with SR on and off.

Also tried my Metz 54 4i ....same thing ---- what am I doing wrong, I don't think it's Paul's flash units ?

Signed: Frustrated in California :-)

wll

06-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume you pushed the test button on the receiver? After doing so it should start flashing the green light and receive signals from the transmitter.

1) Does the flash fire when hooked up and you push the test button on the receiver?

2) Does the receiver indicate it receives signal (I think with a brief flash) when you push the button on the transmitter?

Not sure how your flashes are supposed to be set since they are Pentax units, but I am pretty sure they should not be set to wireless but rather to standard manual mode... (If you set it to wireless slave it'll be waiting for an optical trigger from the K20D so I think that's not right -- from the flash's viewpoint it is getting fired just like if it sat in a hotshoe on a camera.) Set the Metz to M mode, put it in the Zebra adapter, connect the adapter to the receiver, put the transmitter in the K20D hotshoe... push test button on the receiver to wake it up, push test button on transmitter. It should fire. Then try a picture with the K20D. Be aware that you do not get TTL flash at all with this stuff, and need to rely on manual settings.

I have 3 receivers and one transmitter and they all have worked flawlessly since taking them out of the box.
06-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I assume you pushed the test button on the receiver? After doing so it should start flashing the green light and receive signals from the transmitter.

1) Does the flash fire when hooked up and you push the test button on the receiver?

2) Does the receiver indicate it receives signal (I think with a brief flash) when you push the button on the transmitter?

Not sure how your flashes are supposed to be set since they are Pentax units, but I am pretty sure they should not be set to wireless but rather to standard manual mode... (If you set it to wireless slave it'll be waiting for an optical trigger from the K20D so I think that's not right -- from the flash's viewpoint it is getting fired just like if it sat in a hotshoe on a camera.) Set the Metz to M mode, put it in the Zebra adapter, connect the adapter to the receiver, put the transmitter in the K20D hotshoe... push test button on the receiver to wake it up, push test button on transmitter. It should fire. Then try a picture with the K20D. Be aware that you do not get TTL flash at all with this stuff, and need to rely on manual settings.

I have 3 receivers and one transmitter and they all have worked flawlessly since taking them out of the box.

The transmitter when pushed lights up the receiver so they are talking. If I push the transmitter or the receiver test button the flash does not fire. The test button does not set the flash off. Camera is in wireless mode from pushing fn button, tried it in regular flash mode also .... this is with the 360 and the Metz

wll
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also !!!

When I hit the test button on the transmitter the light on the Flash and the receiver blink red at the exact same time .... so they are talking ...but my flash won't flash !

wll

06-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got it working with both 360 and Metz :-)

Problem is with cords or the 0065 unit. Changed sides and it worked great in all types of configurations. Will get higher quality cords and shoes tomorrow.

One week link in the chain is all you need to f up your day !

wll
06-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Bummer, but I'm sure FZ will make things right with you. He's always delivered, and done so promptly, for me
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it's more the cords !

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Bummer, but I'm sure FZ will make things right with you. He's always delivered, and done so promptly, for me
Just ordered two custom cords from Paramount 9 Inches long ... They make high quality cords !

wll

08-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #8

there's more to it...

I also just bought new Cybersyncs. They work on a Nikon but will not work on either Pentax body I have (K10D, K20D) EXCEPT when I put a hot shoe adapter on the cameras and hook up a PC cord to the adapter.

Contacting alienbees, they said it might be that the middle pin is contacting one of the other three pins in the hot shoe. Having tried (within reason) to shove the transmitter as far forward as I can, I think that if that's the case then the shoe on the transmitter is too big as it is probably contacting one of the two back pins. The initial suggestion was to mask the three pins with electrical tape and try it again, which I'm going to do, but this is disappointing given that I bought the Cybersyncs hoping to avoid all the murkiness around the Cactus triggers.
08-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markhail Quote
I think that if that's the case then the shoe on the transmitter is too big as it is probably contacting one of the two back pins.
There is a little plastic tab on the front of the hot shoe. If you look at the plastic cover, you'll notice it has a notch in the front for this tab. That's probably the issue.

Thank you
Russell
08-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by markhail Quote
I also just bought new Cybersyncs. They work on a Nikon but will not work on either Pentax body I have (K10D, K20D) EXCEPT when I put a hot shoe adapter on the cameras and hook up a PC cord to the adapter.

Contacting alienbees, they said it might be that the middle pin is contacting one of the other three pins in the hot shoe. Having tried (within reason) to shove the transmitter as far forward as I can, I think that if that's the case then the shoe on the transmitter is too big as it is probably contacting one of the two back pins. The initial suggestion was to mask the three pins with electrical tape and try it again, which I'm going to do, but this is disappointing given that I bought the Cybersyncs hoping to avoid all the murkiness around the Cactus triggers.
I am using the CyberSyncs with no issue whatsoever on my K20D, PZ-1 and Super Program. I used the CST with my K10D before I sold it last year as well.

It works flawlessly whether I mount it with the controls/LED front or rear facing.