Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

best batteries??

What are the best batteries-by best I mean the longest lasting-for the AF540?

I will be using it on P-TTL mode, and using a Gary Fong diffuser.

06-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, that question could have a bunch of different answers. but simply stated it will depend on your intended use.

First thing I would look at is rechargeables, NiMh to be specific. One or two sets will give you thousands of flashes and the cost per flash will continue to drop the longer you can use them.

Then take an honest assessment of how you will use your flash. Are you going to take 200-500 flash pictures in a short period of time, like say, in a few days, or are you going to take a dozen now then maybe a dozen in a couple of weeks, etc?

For very high output over a short duration you generally need batteries with high Ah (AmpereHour) ratings. They will give you shorter recycle times and more flashes per charge. Problem is when they sit idle they lose power, some as much as 70-80% in as little as a month and then must be recharged.

For the occasional flash shooter low self-discharge batteries will be just a second or two slower on the flash cycling. They may get a hundred or so shots less than the high output batteries before recharging. The good thing is that in a month or two or three they may only lose 5-10% of their initial charge.

Samples of high output AA batteries might include:
  • Sanyo 2700 mAh
  • Nexcell 2700 mAh
  • Powerex 2700 mAh
  • Delkin 2900 mAh
Samples of low self-discharge AA batteries would include:
  • Sanyo eneloop
  • Nexcell EnergyON
  • Maha Imedion
  • Uniross Hybrio
All the above batteries are rated at 2000-2100 mAh. In most cases you are better served with the low self-discharge NiMh batteries. You should also consider investing in a good charger as they will allow you to keep your batteries in tip top health to get the maximum life of your cells, search other threads for charger recommendations.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 06-17-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Spelling correction, Uniross Hybrio
06-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that a good place to learn about battery technology for the novice battery user is Battery University and a good place to purchase from is Thomas Distributing if you don't or can't find good cells locally.
06-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

I've been happy With ..

Rayovac Hybrids 2100 3LD715-4. I think the Hybrids by Maha there Imedion would also be a good choice.

I will NEVER use regular NiMH batteries again, as they loose their charge way to quickly. Nothing like having your batteries go dead shortly after letting them sit for a week or so.

wll

06-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Banned

the most important part of a good set of rechargeables is the charger. I personally recommend the BC-900 from La Crosse Technolgy. Power & Utility Series by La Crosse Technology - Tomorrow's Weather Today I was recommended this by someone here on the forums, and have been more than happy with it. using sanyo eneloops.
06-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
What are the best batteries-by best I mean the longest lasting-for the AF540?

I will be using it on P-TTL mode, and using a Gary Fong diffuser.
Longest lasting, short of using Pentax power pack, would probably be Energizer lithium's.

Cheers. Mike.
06-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the most important part of a good set of rechargeables is the charger. I personally recommend the BC-900 from La Crosse Technolgy. Power & Utility Series by La Crosse Technology - Tomorrow's Weather Today I was recommended this by someone here on the forums, and have been more than happy with it. using sanyo eneloops.
I second this. The charger is much more important.

I've gone through so many batteries, and I tried them out and the output and recycling time can vary. I've settled into Powerex Imedions. A bit cheaper than Eneloops but they hold their charge a bit better. If I needed the fastest recycling time, Ansmann and their batteries are top-notch.

I've settled with the Powerex 8-battery chargers. As much as I wanted the La Crosse one, I want to charge more batteries with 1 power outlet.

06-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I've settled with the Powerex 8-battery chargers. As much as I wanted the La Crosse one, I want to charge more batteries with 1 power outlet.
+1 on the Maha/Powerex chargers, I have a C-801D and a C-9000 as well as the LaCrosse and I do believe that the Powerex are better made chargers. That doesn't mean the BC-900 is bad, it is just not my first choice when I charge batteries.
06-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd have to suggest Rayovac Hybrids also. Inexpensive, keep charge over a long period of time if not using your gear often and despite the 2100 mAh rating reviews have shown they've been known to last longer than higher mAh batteries. I'm currently running 3 or 4 sets. Now that I picked up another flash I may need more.
06-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I ended up using the Energizer Lithium because I was in a pinch and needed batteries fast. They worked fine. I used my flash throughout an entire wedding ceremony and on into the reception. I never had to change batteries, and the recycle time was not effected.

I'll certainly look into these rechargables for future use.
06-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Glad it worked out for you. Energizer Lithiums are a good choice for primary disposable cells. Look at the other brands mentioned above (rather than Energizers) when you start shopping for rechargeables.
06-12-2009, 05:07 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you happen to have a rough idea, on the number of flash shots.
Just curious, I don`t use my 280 or 540 a lot, so still have original lithium's in both.

Cheers. Mike.
06-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Rayovac Hybrids 2100 3LD715-4. I think the Hybrids by Maha there Imedion would also be a good choice.

I will NEVER use regular NiMH batteries again, as they loose their charge way to quickly. Nothing like having your batteries go dead shortly after letting them sit for a week or so.

wll
i've have to agree. my 4 sets have been going strong for well over 2 years..
as stated it helps to have a good charger and thomas is one of the very best suppliers
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up ordering the Powerex 8 cell charger and 8 Powerex batteries. I appreciate all the input. Thanks!!!!