Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cokin P Series, Z-Pro Series and quality filters

Hello everyone.
I've been reading a lot of forum posts and websites about filters.-

I learned that for filters (as well as lenses) you get what you pay.

I arrived to the conclusion to buy a CPL screw-in filter (possibly from B+W,Heliopan, Hoya Pro1) for the 17-70 (as it should be nearly useless for the 12-24), while I'm going to buy a Cokin holder for square system for Grad ND and ND to be used mainly on the 12-24.

As far I read, Cokin filters are not very good (both because made of resin and for a cast effect), while Lee, Schneiders, Tiffen,Singh Ray, Hightech are much better.

Cokin holders are available as P and Z-pro series. The first one with an adaptor shouldn't produce vignetting at 14mm (I am not sure what happens at 12mm),

The difference in price between P and Z-pro is relevant: considering the kit holder + 3 ND filters, the cheapest I found is 40 for P Series and 115 for Z-Pro
Is this difference in price due only to the dimensions or also to the quality of filters? Are the Z series cokins filters as bad as the P ones?

Also because the single Cokin filters cost much more for the Z (36/50) compared to the P series (10/16).
I couldn't find it out neither on Cokins website.

The choice is important, I guess, because if I decide to buy from Cokins only the holder, the filter brands I can chose among depend also on the holder.

In fact the Lees are 100mm and fit the Cokin Z-Pro holder.
The HiTech filters are 80mm and fit the Cokin P holder.

Which other lenses fit the Z and which one the P?

thank you a lot

Last edited by max11; 06-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.
06-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Max, the Cokin P-system works even with the Sigma 10-20 wihout noticeable vignetting if you use the wide angle holder or simply cut-off the first two slots of a standar Cokin P holder. The latter is what I have done, as I couldn't get the ide angle holder and the shortened version works just as good.

I can heartily recommend the HiTech filters, which are made by Formatt, the same company, that also makes the Lee filters. Very good quality.

Ben
06-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ben, regarding Hitech...
I did a research and I found no huge difference in price between Cokin and Hitech and Hitech and Lee. they are:

Holders
-lee holder 44.79
-wide angle adaptor 77mm 30.99

-Formatt hitech holder MK4 (1, 2 or 3 slots) alluminium+ring 46
-wide angle adaptor 77mm 26.81
The 105mm front ring holder is designed to accommodate the screw in polariser, and various lens hoods.

Filters
"Grad filters have to be moved up and down to position the filter correctly in the image, therfore filters that need to be moved are 100 x 150mm, and filters that do not are 100 x 100mm."

Prices:
-Lee ND grad soft/hard set 100x150 106,35
-HItech 100x150 85
-HItech 100x100 59

- HItech nd kit standard 100x100 51,00
- HItech standard single 25
- HItech High dencity single 38
-Lee single couldn't find out

Someone mentioned casting effect using more HItech filters together,and slighlty easier to be scrached, while they are cheaper and lighter.
And Lee is experiencing some delay: "We have had some production problems, that are being resolved at the moment, but supply has been interupted, and we are currently trying to fulfil many back orders currently in our system.
I cannot tell you when the problem will be fully resolved exactly, because it is an ongoing situation, but we should be back to normal in one month.

Also form what you are saying, I may go for Lee holder+Hitech filters

Thank you