Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can't figure out something on a Gitzo tripod

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm missing something that's probably pretty obvious. I have a Gitzo tripod and can't figure out how to remove the plate on the center post. I want to use the tripod occasionally without the center post, and you need to remove the plate that the head sits on, so you can put it on the legs. I gather you have to remove the screw that holds the head - is there something that needs to make it easier to unscrew? It fits in so tight and there's nothing to grip other than the threads themselves? I think I'm missing something really obvious, like you need to twist something else first or ????

Thanks very much for explaining it to me in simple terms (I did figure out all the rest of the tripod, I think).

06-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm missing something that's probably pretty obvious. I have a Gitzo tripod and can't figure out how to remove the plate on the center post. I want to use the tripod occasionally without the center post, and you need to remove the plate that the head sits on, so you can put it on the legs. I gather you have to remove the screw that holds the head - is there something that needs to make it easier to unscrew? It fits in so tight and there's nothing to grip other than the threads themselves? I think I'm missing something really obvious, like you need to twist something else first or ????

Thanks very much for explaining it to me in simple terms (I did figure out all the rest of the tripod, I think).
I don't know if you can remove the plate on top of the center post. When I bought a short post for my Gitzo, it came with a plate on top so I suspect it's permanent. If you just want to remove the center post, loosen the collar that lets you raise or lower the center post, then pull up on the center post until come out.
06-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had figured out how to remove the center post and reverse it (useful up to a point). But I got the impression from their pictures, that I could use the tripod without the center post. But I couldn't figure out how to do it as it looks like you have to remove the plate from the post to put on the legs itself, so the head has some place to mount to. I can't figure that part of it out, so maybe I'll just have to use it with the center post reversed. I found that awkward, but could probably sort it out with practice.
06-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah -- on my Gitzo Basalt (GT1932), you first unscrew the plug in the base that has the hook in it, then loosen the bit that tightens the center post (collar?). Pull the center post up and out. then grasp your head in one hand and the center post in the other and unscrew. The "plate" should stay attached to the base of the head and only the center post comes away from the plate. Now plae the head with the plate (and now an exposed male bolt into the much larger collar and use the plug with the hook that you remove first inserted up through the bottom of the collar to screw into the plate. Viola!

06-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the description. After I removed the center post, I discovered that the plate itself rotates relatively easy, I was trying to remove the screw that holds the tripod, thinking that's what held it in place.

Thank you SO MUCH! That's exactly what I needed - told you it would turn out to be something simple.