Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax BG2 grip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

anybody here use 3rd party grips.. ??

06-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked hard at them (blasphemy, i know) but at $80 for the fake (ebay) or $100 max for the real thing off the Forum marketplace I chose the later. Just not enough $$ difference for me to test the clone market.
06-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the diff for new is a lot..
45-100+
06-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

I was about to ask something similar

I was wondering what's the most "like" version? I'm really hesitating, as neither real nor fake have AF button - which I am really used to and think it's a great feature - and I'm more inclined to buying the fake, if it has e-dials, and maybe green button, as I really don't need weather sealing - the camera's babied so much it never sees a drop of water - and card/remote storage are also useless to me. If only AE-lock button could be reprogrammed... Sigh...

06-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
the diff for new is a lot..
45-100+
We have had so many go through the Marketplace for $100 recently i'm beginning to think people make them in their basement. I guess that could be attributable to the Ritz closings but anybody needing one has had their chance for the $100 genuine article.

Pay retail?? Heavens no.
06-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
We have had so many go through the Marketplace for $100 recently i'm beginning to think people make them in their basement. I guess that could be attributable to the Ritz closings but anybody needing one has had their chance for the $100 genuine article.

Pay retail?? Heavens no.
Still, you can get clones for under $50 shipped on eBay

Vertical Battery Grip For Pentax D-BG2 K10D K20D camera - eBay (item 270399963655 end time Jun-09-09 11:33:10 PDT)

This one is most like the Pentax even has a space for the remote and extra card. I am sure it violates some copyright or patent somewhere. So there is still the $50+ price difference, enough money to buy a 16GB SDHC a Pentax remote and a clone battery or two.
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Check the specs:
"You are bidding a Pro Battery Grip for Pentax K10D K20D, which has the same function as original battery grip. It can hold one D-LI50 battery to offer double-length shooting time - one in the camera body and one in the grip. Vertical shutter release button on the Battery Grip makes shooting with the camera in a vertical position much easier, adding stability to the camera

Use the D-L150 rechargeable Li-ion battery with the grip
The camera can be used with the battery grip attached if there is a battery in either the camera or the grip
One Pentax remote control E and one SD memory card can also be stored in the battery grip
Shutter with half-press function
This Grip has Shutter with half-press function"

I don't see the wheel in front. No picture from rear for the second wheel, and I guess no buttons either.
Good luck!

06-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Still, you can get clones for under $50 shipped on eBay

Vertical Battery Grip For Pentax D-BG2 K10D K20D camera - eBay (item 270399963655 end time Jun-09-09 11:33:10 PDT)

This one is most like the Pentax even has a space for the remote and extra card. I am sure it violates some copyright or patent somewhere. So there is still the $50+ price difference, enough money to buy a 16GB SDHC a Pentax remote and a clone battery or two.
You are right in that its way cheaper than I have seen before but in comparing pics to the original on the Pentax store site the $45 version seems to be missing a lot of buttons. Its clearly missing all but the shutter on the side that is shown. Can't see the green button side or back side and the ebay site only mentions the shutter. I think its a nice battery holder and grip but looks to be lacking functionality. I'm not trying to make a case for overpriced accessories, I just ended up on that side in this thread.

edit - whoops! looks like Octavmandru and I came in at the same time. I hate redundancy. I hate redundancy.
06-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Check the specs:
"You are bidding a Pro Battery Grip for Pentax K10D K20D, which has the same function as original battery grip. It can hold one D-LI50 battery to offer double-length shooting time - one in the camera body and one in the grip. Vertical shutter release button on the Battery Grip makes shooting with the camera in a vertical position much easier, adding stability to the camera

Use the D-L150 rechargeable Li-ion battery with the grip
The camera can be used with the battery grip attached if there is a battery in either the camera or the grip
One Pentax remote control E and one SD memory card can also be stored in the battery grip
Shutter with half-press function
This Grip has Shutter with half-press function"

I don't see the wheel in front. No picture from rear for the second wheel, and I guess no buttons either.
Good luck!
You are right in that its way cheaper than I have seen before but in comparing pics to the original on the Pentax store site the $45 version seems to be missing a lot of buttons. Its clearly missing all but the shutter on the side that is shown. Can't see the green button side or back side and the ebay site only mentions the shutter. I think its a nice battery holder and grip but looks to be lacking functionality. I'm not trying to make a case for overpriced accessories, I just ended up on that side in this thread.

edit - whoops! looks like Octavmandru and I came in at the same time. I hate redundancy. I hate redundancy.
Ok, so that one was not exact, what about this one:

Pro Battery Grip for Pentax K10D K20D as D-BG2 B1U - eBay (item 260413260128 end time Jun-18-09 00:51:55 PDT)

So you'll need to leave the remote behind with the difference in cost. I was just trying to point out that they are out there and there can be a significant difference in price. but the both of you took it too literally.

A Side Note: As with all things you buy, just do an eBay search and select the option to sort by "lowest price + shipping" also include worldwide and store inventory and you can find a few bargains. I bought quite a few brand new Pentax items from eBay for much less than many of the used Marketplace listings posted here.
06-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks all.. the first link had caught my eye.. i asked and all it gives is a shutter release..
the second link looks interesting tho..
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
thanks all.. the first link had caught my eye.. i asked and all it gives is a shutter release..
the second link looks interesting tho..
I purchased a few things from LinkDelight before, everything was exactly as described and shipped quickly from HK
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter

We are continuing a pointless thread. Its a fact that knock-offs are cheaper and sometimes a great bargain. Other times you wish you stuck with the real thing. Its can be a budgetary or personal decision. I spent $690 on my K20 and dont plan to decorate it with unknown knock offs to save $50. Thats a personal decision.
06-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
We are continuing a pointless thread. Its a fact that knock-offs are cheaper and sometimes a great bargain. Other times you wish you stuck with the real thing. Its can be a budgetary or personal decision. I spent $690 on my K20 and dont plan to decorate it with unknown knock offs to save $50. Thats a personal decision.
you're the one perpetuating a ''pointless thread''. i'll bow to the ''imtheguy''! a little narcissism here??
oh,, i only paid 680 for mine and it came with a pentax bag and a 3 year pentax warranty
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
I purchased a few things from LinkDelight before, everything was exactly as described and shipped quickly from HK
thanks for the refer..
it's tough when you make a post and some ah can only be negative..
C'est la vie...
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster

oh,, i'm disabled and on a fixed income.. $50 is about 3% of that..