Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Umbrella Swivel Options

I'm on a search for the most versatile yet inexpensive umbrella swivel bracket. It will most likely be paired with the Yong Nuo CTR-301P eBay receivers which have a 1/4" thread and I'm not looking to buy extra parts to make this work.

First option is below but I'm wondering if the umbrella hole, as shallow as it is, will damage the shaft or if the screw will also dent it. The receiver can easily attach and the vertical distance from shaft to flash head is to a minimum. Has anyone used these before?

The Photoflex Heavy Duty Swivel Mount with Reversible Stud would be a consideration as it's a durable unit. It increases the high of the flash from the shaft which may be an issue in which case I could get the ball heads mounted on top to aim the flash parallel to the shaft. Back to my original request, I want to keep parts to a minimum.

These from Rugift would be ideal albeit rather expensive $59:

Assuming the picture is correct and almost 1/2 the price of the identical Smith-Victor it is a candidate $16.95:

So many choices including the ALZO Digital® Flash/Umbrella Mount, $21 on eBay. It's a powder coated aluminum piece and it seems to be of good quality:

I'm leaning toward the first option, I'm just curious as to what everyone else might be using for strobe work or at least offer comments/suggestions.

06-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Be aware that some have plastic parts (read the reviews on bhphoto, etc. about collapsing swivels)...I have the manfrotto one and that's good, though a bit hefty (all metal).
06-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can replace the screw by a brass wing screw to avoid damaging the umbrella shaft.