Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

...most M42 lenses don't short this pin because their base is narrower, and as a result the focusing indication does not work...
Lowell...

Strangely, all of my m42 lenses have a wide base that fully covers the contacts. All, that is EXCEPT the Jupiter-9. It has a famously narrow base that only covers the contacts half-way (similar to the photo above). The narrow base is characteristic of most of the Super-Taks that I have seen as well as many German and Russian lenses.

As mentioned in my previous comment, the paint on my wider-based lenses is an effective insulator whereas the paint on the J-9 is not. Of my m42 lenses, the J-9 is the only one that supports "catch-in-focus" on my K10D.

In regards to focus indication...focus confirm on my K10D using the body's AF sensor (green hexagon and beep) works with all my m42 lenses regardless of the width or conductivity of the base.

Steve

(For what its worth, my K10D has firmware version 1.20. The behavior with other firmware versions or on the KxxxD series cameras as well as the K20D may be quite different.)

06-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Good shot, Rob.
Thank you sir. I asked that question because I figured being a loyal Pentaxian over the years you may have had some screwmount lenses.

I asked this question on two other forums and I either got no response or I don't know.

I changed the topic of this forum; I had no intetion of hijacking it.

I apoligize.

I want to thank everyone who responded as my camera does not have catch in focus with my M42 lenses.

This discussion clearly belongs in the lens forum.

I am waithing for Gary to move it or tell me I should have posted it in the correct forum.