Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Backpack for travels: 25% space for equipment and 75% personal stuff

I own a Lowepro Fastpack 200 is perfect to carry all my gear for a photographic daytrip. I love the lateral quick access, but the space for personal staff is small and it tends to get heavy.

As I will do a travel abroad bringing with me the 17-70 and 55-300 (79x83mm + 112x71mm, 440g x2), I was looking for a backpack (possibly with quick access to the camera) to be used everyday, that allows me to carry, let's say, 25% equipment and 75% personal stuff, in order to keep all with me safely under control. The weight is also important too.

The biggest problem is that is not easy to realize how much the upper compartment is really large. the only
way is to check them in the shops.

I did the following research:

The best for my needs seem to be the kata 466, the Tamrac aero 75 (even if the quick access seems to give some problem with cool temperatures) and the tamrac adventure 7.
Rarely I bring the laptop with me, but that space could be used for documents or clothing, as far the backapck is still comfortable also when that space is empty.
The adv 9 is too heavy, but I read the 2 compartments can be adjusted depending on my needs by moving the "thing" that divides them, but I couldn't find out if that is true also for the adv 7.
Thanks for your advices

Last edited by max11; 06-15-2009 at 12:05 AM.
06-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you considered just using an all-purpose backpack? If all you're carrying is 1 body and 2 lenses, there's really no point in carrying a photo backpack. Since one lens or the other is going to be on the camera, all you would really need room for is the other lens and any smaller accessories that you might want to carry along (i.e. memory cards, extra batteries, filters, etc.), which could be stored in a small pouch.

When I'm carrying my lenses in a bag that isn't a dedicated camera bag (with all the compartments and padding and such), I make a point to make sure that they're protected in some fashion. I have both the Sigma 17-70 and DA55-300, as well and since the case for the 55-300 is too small for the 17-70, I just bought a lens wrap yesterday--a Tenba 16" wrap and I'm expecting that it'll work just fine for either lens.

HTH,
Heather
06-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestion, I think that option is good for the flight, but when I walk all the day long with the backpack on, I would like to have access to the camera or second lens quickly.
06-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

me too -- help!

I am in a similar position as Max. I need a bag I can carry on a flight that can hold everything I need. Requirements:
  • no bigger than 55 x 40 x 20cm external (carry-on limit)
  • padded compartment for body and lenses (say two Limiteds and two zooms)
  • comfortable to wear
  • reasonable access to gear
  • good amount of space for non-photo stuff

I do have a normal backpack for city use, but it has nowhere near the padding needed to protect gear.

I do not live near any store that would enable me to check these in person -- hence the difficulty in evaluation.

06-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are some possible candidates. But none seem to have that much non-photo-gear room.

Jack Wolfskin ACS PHOTOPACK 24

Military Ops Alpha

Kata DR-465 Digital Rucksack

Tamrac Model 3385 - Aero Speed Pack 85

Tamrac Model 3375 - Aero Speed Pack 75
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The Naneu 4l seems nice but to heavy!

the kata 465 seems small.
Actually I would prefer the 466 as it is slightly lighter and wider (so more space for the upper compartment?) than the 467.
Still it is not clear but, having similar dimensions but less space dedicated to the laptop compartment, the upper one should be larger.
Photos are not clear.

As you said, the main problem is to valuate the upper compartment dimensions
06-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
D W
Veteran Member

How about a outdoor/hiking backpack and pack you camera gear into that with a waist/belt pack.

I personally like carrying a proper design and fitted backpack but it is a PITA to access your equipment as opposed to a beltpack.

06-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For hiking/backpacking trips I use a standard hiking backpack. My camera will probably be around my neck for quick access. There is no way you are going to get a quick shot off if you have to take your backpack off, open it, get the camera.....darn...missed it. Waist packs and fanny packs are also options, especially for a spare lens.
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #9

QuoteQuote:
How about a outdoor/hiking backpack and pack you camera gear into that with a waist/belt pack.

I personally like carrying a proper design and fitted backpack but it is a PITA to access your equipment as opposed to a beltpack.
That's how I went- except I ordered the Kata T-214 torso pack.
I figure I can wear it with a full pack when hiking, or use it at a sling or chest pack when just carrying the camera.
We'll see how that works when it comes in.
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Top pocket organizer with 2 internal zippered mesh pockets
• Padded 850 c.i. camera bay with weather-resistant zippers
• Hydration sleeve holds 70 oz bladder
• Modular organization including Velcro-ready Cradle Dividers
• Media organizer with weather-proof zippers to protect data cards, hard-drives, cables, pens, and business cards
• Padded shoulder straps cushion against heavy photo gear, with additional support from load-lifter straps and adjustable sternum strap
• Built-in ChestPorts™ host Clik Elite ChestPacks for fast camera access on the go
• LadderFit™ harness system adjusts to 4 different torso lengths for comfort and optimized weight transfer
• Comfort-molded back panel sheds snow and dirt, vents heat and moisture
• Padded contour waist belt with bi-directional buckle comfortably transfers weight to hips
• Stash pocket with compression buckle and small zippered pocket
• Attachment points on shoulder straps and waist belt host small pouches and lens holsters
• Mesh side pockets keep water bottles and other items handy
• Internal aluminum frame-stays add support for heavy loads
• Strap points on top pocket and bottom panel hold tent, sleeping bag, tripod, and other items
• Hide-away rain fly
• Ruggedized construction: fully lined and taped, beefy zippers, 1680D ballistic, and 420D high-tenacity nylon fabrics
• 27″h X 14″w X 11″d
• 4000 c.i total capacity

• Hydration sleeve and tube port for up to 70 oz bladder
• Padded 500 c.i. camera bay with weather-resistant zippers
• Modular organization including Velcro-ready Cradle Dividers
• Media organizer with weather-proof zippers protects data cards, hard-drives, cables, pens, and business cards
• Padded shoulder straps cushion against heavy photo gear, with additional support from load-lifter straps and adjustable sternum strap
• Built-in ChestPorts™ host Clik Elite ChestPacks™ for fast camera access on the go
• Attachment points on shoulder straps and waist belt host small pouches and lens holsters
• LadderFit™ harness system adjusts to 4 different torso lengths for comfort and optimized weight transfer
• Comfort-molded back panel sheds snow and dirt, vents heat and moisture
• Padded contour waist belt with bi-directional buckle comfortably transfers weight to hips
• Waistbelt can be tucked away for a more streamline set-up.
• Stash pocket with compression buckle
• Mesh side pockets keep water bottles and other items handy
• External access zippered compartment for sunglasses and other accessories
• Removable accessory straps hold additional items, such as a tripod or extra clothing
• Hide-away rain fly
• Ruggedized construction: fully lined and taped, beefy zippers, 1680D ballistic, and 420D high-tenacity nylon fabrics
• 23″h X 13″w 8″d
• 2100 c.i. total capacity

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-16-2009 at 06:25 PM.
06-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that; the clik elite Medium Nature meets the carry-on requirements.

Lowepro simply don't seem to have a suitable pack. The CompuDaypack is just a tad too big. That might be OK, but the top volume seems full of pockets and hence has little usable room.

Direct access to a camera from a backpack is not an issue for me. When I want to take photos a camera will be on me. When I want to transport the camera will be in the backpack. IMO those swivel style packs etc. are gimmicks. They compromise both access and portability.
06-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hey Max11,

I purchased the Tamrac Adventure 7 initially, then returned it. I did not like how you access the camera section. The pack opens like a clamshell (for lack of a better description) and can be dangerous if you are trying to use it as a sling (it's not, but I can see how someone would try to). I then bought the Kata 465. I can access the camera section without having to set down the pack. Since the camera section pulls open (like a drawer), in my opinion, is safer than how the Tamrac cracks wide open like a hinge. You don't need to unzip it all the way to access what ever you need. The laptop section of the 466/467 is great for documents, books, or a light jacket/windbreaker. I also have the Kata Sensitivity V which has a laptop section. Since you're only bringing two lenses, there will be extra room in the camera section for storing personal items.

Good luck with your choice.
07-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just went through the same thing ... my Tamrac Adventure 7 is good for short trips, but not big enough for longer ones (and I don't mind the clamshell thing, because I usually keep the camera out while walking), and I did not like the Adventure 9, because of the placement of its tripod attachment (underneath) (its up for sale ... check out the marketplace if a tripod is not a concern)

After a lot of research, I ordered both the Kata 467 and Mountainsmith Borealis AT from B&H. Just sent the Kata back. The bag itself was nice, easy to access and decent amount of space, but the construction of the straps and the load adjustments was horrible. Easily fit my travel gear (body + 3 lenses and accessories, including a 50-135/2.8), but wearing it would get really uncomfortable after a short while. The Mountainsmith was much better quality, very comfortable to wear, and many storage pockets (including one on the hip belt to keep batteries and SD cards handy). Check it out -- Mountainsmith
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for sharing your experiences, guys.

QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
The Mountainsmith was much better quality, very comfortable to wear, and many storage pockets (including one on the hip belt to keep batteries and SD cards handy). Check it out -- Mountainsmith
Is it comfortable? it is 2.1kg.
I saw the adventure 7 or similar, it looked very low quality to me
I'm oriented to the kata 466
07-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Mountainsmith is too big and heavy for my application -- it exceeds carry-on allowances.

I have narrowed down my choice to the Kata DR-467. Next time I have money I'll get it.