Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Mountainsmith is comfortable ... seems like a lot of the extra weight is in padding and hip and shoulder pads, not in the bag itself, so you don't feel like you are carrying an extra load. At 10X12X21 its under 45" total, so should not exceed carry on allowances.

07-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
The Mountainsmith is comfortable ... seems like a lot of the extra weight is in padding and hip and shoulder pads, not in the bag itself, so you don't feel like you are carrying an extra load. At 10X12X21 its under 45" total, so should not exceed carry on allowances.
Except that it does.

In archaic inches, carry-on limits are usually no more than: 15.7 x 7.8 x 21.6. This bag is too deep by more than 50%. Try getting that inside the frame when they ask you to check your allowance.

Also, when the total limit is 10kg using up over 2kg on the bag itself is not prudent.

This is the reality of flying today.
07-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Except that it does.

In archaic inches, carry-on limits are usually no more than: 15.7 x 7.8 x 21.6. This bag is too deep by more than 50%. Try getting that inside the frame when they ask you to check your allowance.

Also, when the total limit is 10kg using up over 2kg on the bag itself is not prudent.

This is the reality of flying today.
Maybe so across the pond, but not here. I regularly fly with carry on bags much bigger than this, and they go through the TSA box with no problem. But no worries; sounds like the Kata will do better for you. Guess that's why they make so many bags.
07-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EstimatedEyes Quote
Maybe so across the pond, but not here.
You may get stung yet. My next transatlantic flight has exactly this baggage restriction, so it's not just in the EU.

Besides, I once had to ditch half my luggage since I was over the new limit, one that had just been lowered. Doing this when you are checking in is not the most pleasant experience. Luckily I had someone who could run off and buy me a smaller bag quickly from a luggage shop at the airport. But you can imagine the price.

And that happened in N.America, not Europe.

I hate to imagine this happening with my gear bag. Imagine having to leave half your gear behind? Or checking it into the cargo hold in a hastily bought bag without proper padding etc. That's why I recommend playing it safe.

07-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have narrowed down my choice to the Kata DR-467. Next time I have money I'll get it.
Well, I have just bought this bag, but under a different label... which everyone here will no doubt find quite interesting. It seems that in Canada Pentax has rebadged this bag as the Pentax backpack. It comes with the Pentax logo and Canadian Maple Leaf.

So it turns out that my "best buy" backpack is the Pentax choice too!

I've had it only a few hours so will report on usability as time goes on. It was CND$130 at Henry's.
07-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The Mountainsmith is too big and heavy for my application -- it exceeds carry-on allowances.

I have narrowed down my choice to the Kata DR-467. Next time I have money I'll get it.
If you look around, you can get a $15 rebate on that thing!

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/KA3N1_083109.pdf
07-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Well, no rebate on the Pentax one but it does have a nice Canadian maple leaf. That's worth it.

07-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/KA3N1_083109.pdf
I knew, it is a shame I leave in the UK!
07-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have now used the Canadian Pentax Backpack AKA Kata DR-467 for a shoot, namely the world-wide photo walk last Saturday. I carried the K20D with FA77, DA12-24, DA50-200, two extra batteries, three filters, remote, cleaners and a mini tripod... all in the lower compartment. The top compartment was perfect for a rain jacket and could have fit a fleece as well, if I was expecting cool weather.

When I first used the backpack I thought it might be uncomfortable, mainly because the side against my back is so straight -- it doesn't really curve to fit your body, mainly because it is built to hold a laptop. But it proved to be quite reasonable hauling this around for 5 hours. It has two straps that can be tied in front of the chest. Though I did not use these they would add stability on a hill climb. The zippers all seem decent though they are not the heavy duty ones you can get on some outdoors gear.

As it happened we were caught in a heavy summer shower so I got to try out the protective shell. I don't know how water repellent the bag is without this extra, but it does increase peace of mind knowing your gear is safe from water with the extra luminous yellow shield in place.

This bag is prefect for the amount of photo gear I'd be likely to carry on a trip. In fact, I could likely fit in a change of clothes, so it might be the only luggage I'd need for a weekend outing. And it is the largest bag I could get that still conforms with the most restrictive airline carry-on allowances.

It has sufficient padding in all areas. The bright yellow interior is perfect for finding little bits that might otherwise hide.

This bag is a winner so far. Plus it's got the Canadian maple leaf -- bonus!

Canadian Pentax Backpack was $130 (plus tax) at Henry's. The Kata DR-467 is 70 pounds sterling in the UK, which amounts to much the same price.
07-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I haven't tried flying with it yet, but I use a Kelty Redwing with padded inserts. (Actually at the moment a padded camera bag and lens cases...)

I have a set of Kinesis straps that allow me to clip the camera to the pack's shoulder straps while hiking. Kinesis Photo Gear [Y-Series] System Accessories - Y303 plus some miscellaneous clips and the matching camera portion of Kinesis' harness system.
09-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This could be a good option, but the backpack dimensions are maybe too big to be brought as a hand baggage?

Length: 21.5" / 54 cm
Width: 16" / 41 cm
Height: 14 / 36 cm

Anyway, I tried the kata 466 and 467 and in both the upper compartment is too small to my needs, while same space is left in the. Even if I put something not photographic in the lower compartment, it is still not enough as the top one is quite small.

Anyone using the fastpack 250 or 350. I have not seen them, but they look similar to the 466 or 467
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Maybe this could be the solution for you:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/71275-my-perfect-soluti...mera-gear.html
09-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That could be a good solution, even if it would be better if the backpach has a front lower access so you can put the insert 90 degrees rotated, so having access to the gear from the lower and to the personal stuff from the top.
By the way, I can't find that model it in the UK.
09-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by max11 Quote
That could be a good solution, even if it would be better if the backpach has a front lower access so you can put the insert 90 degrees rotated, so having access to the gear from the lower and to the personal stuff from the top.
By the way, I can't find that model it in the UK.
Backpacks for longer hikes, or for camping (the 75 liters type) usually have a bottom pocket that would serve exactly the purpose you have in mind. I'd be wary of putting the whole weigth of such a backpack on my photo gear, though, I'd be careful not to keep it vertical when not in use.

Do you refer to the Domke model, or the backpack model? If it's the Domke, I personally got it from B&H, it was not available in Canada. If you refer to the backpack, then I'd think any regular backpack would do, just find one that's confortable for you (that's the whole point).

I can testify that for me it's an excellent solution. I brought the setup with me when fishing last week-end and it was indeed perfect. I'm using it again this coming week-end. I'll still use my messenger bag (again, a regular bag with an insert) but having the choice between both systems is fantastic!
09-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'd be careful not to keep it vertical when not in use.
Why?

I was referring to the Donke, I cannot find it in the UK.