Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #1

Question about CPL/UV

Hi. I'm getting DA 40mm really soon and I'd like to buy CPL + UV filter for it. I also own Vivitar 28/2.8 (49mm filter thread), 2 kit lens (52mm filter thread), A50/1.7 (49mm?) and Pentacon 135/2.8 (.

I'd like to use one filter for all - so I guess I'll have to buy 52mm filter and use step-up ring (49mm-52mm).

I'm on tight bugdet, but I don't want to spoil lens qualities with cheapo filters.

What CPL is considered "best" in price/performance ratio? (52mm)

What UV filter should I use on my DA 40?

I've been also reading about unpractical lens cap on DA 40. What other cap/where should I get?

Thank you in advance.

06-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the Marumi slim DHG (Digital High Grade) filters based on comments here and on dpreview. I am very happy with the purchase and they certainly are easier to clean than some of the other filters I own. They run cheaper than the Kenko and Hoya high grade filters.
06-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On filters, it's generally agreed that you should get the most expensive filters you can afford right up until Hoya's Super HMC range (the Pro1 series add no more 'quality' despite being considerably more expensive). B+W make awesome MRC filters (don't get ones that aren't MRC) and Marumi's multi-coated range are also good.
06-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Marumi hands down are the best bang for your buck in my opinion.

Certainly not a lower tier brand as far as quality is concerned!

Marumi 52mm Slim (DHG) Digital High Grade Multi-Coated Circular Polarizer Filter

Believe that is the best price you'll find one for.

I own a 67mm Marumi DHG thin filter and its fantastic, I posted a review not too long ago about it.

06-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all very much!
06-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you can afford it, it is best to place UV filters on all your lenses just a a precautionary protection for the front lens.
Plus if the UV filter is there, the front lens itself wouldn't get dirty nor you have to scratch it over and over by cleaning it with a lens cloth.
I usually do this with all my lens (have UV filters on all of them).