Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cold-shoe made of metal shorts contacts?

I needed something to hold my Metz 48 flash when using it in wireless off-camera so I saw something at Ritz for only a couple bucks that is an extension arm and with a wingnut it bolts to the tripod and has two cold-shoe brackets. I'm set right? Well, like 98% of the cold-shoe brackets I looked at, its metal, so it shorts out the pins on the flash changing the way it works (it would flash properly once then required an off/on reset to flash again). It took a piece of tape on the bracket to stop the short but this CAN'T be how its supposed to work, plus I don't want to get sticky gue all over the pins and have them too dirty to work in the camera.

So how does the rest of the world work with an off-camera bracket without shorting the flash? Did I pick the only flash in the world that can't use a metal cold-shoe? Did I miss something in the manual?

I did find a thread with a link to something else I can buy that is a Nikon piece of plastic so I guess I have a solution thats better than tape but it does not sound like that is what everybody else has to do.

06-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Put the tape on the cold shoe not your flash's shoe.
06-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Of course, I only look dumb in my picture. I did that but sliding the flash on and off will wear the tape to shreds pretty quick (and thicker tape makes sliding more difficult). It just doesn't seem like the right way to do business. I can't believe everybody uses tape!

Last edited by imtheguy; 06-14-2009 at 11:20 PM.
06-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Of course, I only look dumb in my picture. I did that but sliding the flash on and off will wear the tape to shreds pretty quick (and thicker tape makes sliding more difficult). It just doesn't seem like the right way to do business. I can't believe everybody uses tape!
Here we go sir.

Check it:

Amazon.com: Craig Herold's review of Stroboframe Accessory Shoe

06-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have one myself. This one sits atop my Srobroframe Pro RL. The flash is a Vivitar 285. Notice the center pin does not touch anything and this should apply to your dedicated flash with multiple pins.

They can be purchased on Amazon( via the link I gave you)and B&H Photo that I know of. Other camera shops may apply.

Name:  Wireless Flash 022.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  32.8 KB
06-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have used your original method (gaffer tape on the cold shoe) on my lightstand brackets with no shredding or goo issues.
06-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK guys...you have convinced me I am not the only one. For some reason "they" continue to manufacture solid metal brackets only to require tape to make them functional. Too funny. Since I saw no threads addressing this I have to wonder how each photog learns. The hard way I presume.

Many thanks. Tape it is for now.

06-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You can't use my idea?
06-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rob - Sure I could use same gadget you have. Like I said in the last line of my original post I found some non-conductive brackets for sale, I just left out the part about being aggrevated about having to buy something else. I will eventually, but will wait until I have an order large enough someplace that at least there is no extra $5 postage for my $10 bracket. I can live with tape until then as I only use the tripod mount once a week at most. Thanks for your help and input. I would not have posted the thread if I thought the problem was a common one.

Lee
06-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

nikon stand

The Nikon Speedlight stand AS-19 is the answer I found for my Metz 48 AF-1. It's about $9, has tripod screw thread on the bottom, and is made of plastic so no shorting. Plus you can just set it on a table or other handy surface in many situations.

It doesn't have the locking pin hole in the right place for Pentax, but the fit is snug enough that I don't have any worries.
06-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, the Nikon is the one i referred to as my backup plan in the first post. I think I saw where you mentioned it in another thread or something. I didn't stumble on it in B&H junk yard on my own I don't believe. Darn it, I just bought something heavy from B&H last week and could have gotten the $9 part w/o an extra $5 shipping. Your guide led me to the Metz in the first place btw.

thanks guys.
lee