Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Suggestion for hiker/photo bag - Camelback style?

So I primarily use my camera on hiking trips. Right now I have a slingshot style bag and just put a few water bottles in there with my camera and accessories.

However, I would like to use a camelback style bag or water source. Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this that would also accommodate the K20D?

Thanks,

Ken Knott

06-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I've seen references to people using the laptop slot in some photo backpacks for hydration bags. . .
06-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #3

I've been using this bag http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=futura28⊂=hiking&tert=futura

There are two separate compartments, I can easily fit my K20 in the lower pocket for easy access. If I am hiking or on a gentle bike ride, lenses can go in the side mesh pockets. The hydration pack holder fits a 17" laptop nicely as well. For rougher trips I can fit a Tamarack Express 6 Camera Bag in either the bottom compartment (snug fit) or in the top compartment with the rest of my gear.

The bag doesn't offer the same protection as a "real" camera bag, but for now it suits my needs.It is very comfortable to wear, even loaded up.
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not have this bag but I have ordered the smaller version which doesn't accept the H2O bladder, but the M-Rock Arches looks to be a camera bag/backpack/sling bag that would work. You can fit a laptop or a hydration bladder in the rear compartment and it has a slot to snake the mouthpiece through.

06-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Please see this post for details of the Clik Express backpacks with the ability to use a 70 oz hydration pack.

Thank you
Russell
06-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #6

For backpacking, there is also the Syncpack:

Syncpack Frontpack Systems - Balance Comfort Accessibility

I haven't tried this system out, but it is an option. I may be doing some backcountry hiking and camping next year and this system looks promising. I am also interested in what some others have to say/recommend.
07-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With my recent K20D, I decided to try the new LowePro Flipside bag. It comes in 3 different sizes, depending of the equipment you want to carry with you.

Personnaly, I took the 200 model (smallest of the line). Fits the K20d and battery grip + my 2 lenses perfectly (and I still have compartments to spare).

Tried it for a bike ride and it stays firmly in place when starped on, not even need to be very tight. Did'nt tried it for hiking since I'm not a big hiking fan.

But to carry on bike rides or for an easy carry all around, I absolutely love the bag I got.

For what my perception is worth , it's worth it. Local photo shops were asking +$100 + taxes for the bag but found it on Ebay, a seller from Ottawa (150km from home) at ±$65 all included.......shipped in 2 days to my door.

Last edited by Martin_Qc; 07-27-2009 at 03:47 PM.
07-30-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Been there, done that...

I have a backpack that I love, but it's not made for cameras, though it has a hydration pouch "support".

I tried many bags designed for photography and I found that thy were NOT designed for serious hiking. So I decided to keep my hiking bag and add an insert to protect the camera and a few lenses. I'm still shopping for the right insert, but it seems it will probably be the Pacsafe insert (40$).

You loose the dual pockets most camera bags have, but you gain a bag that's really well suited for hiking. Much more important IMHO. My bag has side mesh pockets in which I place my tripod, and I can attach a small Lowepro P&S case to the hip strap, where I place a lens as needed for quick switching. Perfect for me.
07-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a camelbak unbottle (comes in 2 sizes). This is essentially a stand alone bottle, containing the hydration pack (70oz or 100oz sizes), and an outer backpack-like lining. It doesn't have any back straps though, it is essentially the size of the hydration bladder. The sides have strap hooks to attach to a bag, and there is a top strap with a clip for hanging.

I find it convenient to drop into whatever bag I end up taking, or put into the outer pocket on my camera bag. I am getting a kata 3n1 pack (on my doorstep at the moment!), and am going to try and rig some strapping to carry either a tripod or this pack as well.

I don't know if the bag you have has any external clips, but this may be something worth looking into as well, possibly without having to purchase another bag.
08-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a Camelbak Rim Runner as my day hike camera bag. It has a 100 oz bladder and 1590 cu in of storage space. I use lens wraps and the pouches my limiteds come with to keep them safe in the outer pouch. This pouch has an organizer i use to hold a cleaning kit, some filters, and batteries. There is also a little felt lined pouch at the top I can stow a small lens. The pouch between the bladder and the one used for lenses is reserved for food, clothing, or whatever.

The camera stays out of the bag. It goes around the neck and then is secured using a Zing Action Cover. I absolutely love this cover. It keeps the camera handy, but stops it from swinging around. It also provides protection and is the nearest thing I've seen to ye olde spotmatic leather cover.