Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #1

Wireless Trigger Problems

G'day folks.

I bought a set of the CTR-301 triggers a couple of weeks ago, and was thrilled with them originally, they had an awesome range, never had a missfire, worked perfectly.
My problem occured a couple of days ago, when they suddenly stopped working. In wireless mode, even just using the test button on the transmitter and looking at the little red LED on the receiver i can only get it to work from a distance of bout 3 cms, or an inch. Anything further away from that and I get no response.
Needless to say my flash doesn't work with them either anymore, it's not just the LED mucking up. The optical side still does work, not that i can take any photos using it yet, as i don't know how to sync it properly with the whole preflash thing on the k20d.
So from the obvious physical signs, the transmitter's light flashing and the optical side working, i can't find any major problems. I then took both completely apart, couldn't see any loose connections etc, nothing looked awry. Oh and i've replaced both batteries too, so that can't be the issue.

So can anyone shed any light on my situation at all? I would rather fix them if i can, i don't particularly want to pay for the shipping to send them back if i can avoid it hah. I've searched around but haven't really come up with any similar situations...

06-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, that seems to be one of the risks of buying the cheaper radio triggers. They're just not known for reliability.

When I read your second sentence, my first thought was "change the batteries" but you already did that. You might want to make sure that the channels on the trigger and receiver are set the same, you might have accidentally changed one.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest, other than biting the bullet and buying a set of Cybersyncs, which is what I did even though my Cactus V2s were working just fine after 12-18 months of use.

Edit: Oops, I see you're in Australia, don't know if Cybersyncs are available to you. There's a Korean company that makes radio triggers which from what I've heard are pretty good. That might be an option. Here's a link to their website: http://g9chon.com/

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited by MPrince; 06-21-2009 at 03:16 AM.
06-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by remoteman Quote
G'day folks.

I bought a set of the CTR-301 triggers a couple of weeks ago, and was thrilled with them originally, they had an awesome range, never had a missfire, worked perfectly.
My problem occured a couple of days ago, when they suddenly stopped working. In wireless mode, even just using the test button on the transmitter and looking at the little red LED on the receiver i can only get it to work from a distance of bout 3 cms, or an inch. Anything further away from that and I get no response.
Needless to say my flash doesn't work with them either anymore, it's not just the LED mucking up. The optical side still does work, not that i can take any photos using it yet, as i don't know how to sync it properly with the whole preflash thing on the k20d.
So from the obvious physical signs, the transmitter's light flashing and the optical side working, i can't find any major problems. I then took both completely apart, couldn't see any loose connections etc, nothing looked awry. Oh and i've replaced both batteries too, so that can't be the issue.

So can anyone shed any light on my situation at all? I would rather fix them if i can, i don't particularly want to pay for the shipping to send them back if i can avoid it hah. I've searched around but haven't really come up with any similar situations...
Remoteman,

I looked into all the china made units and decided to spend the extra $ and get Cybesync - I have never looked back, they function EVERY time.

If there if anything in the world I hate is when something does not work, these WORK.

Not a direct answer to your question, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

BTW, I have done what you have done many times in the past and decided it was not worth it. Photography is challenging enough without having to be Mr. Fix it every time you go out to shoot.

wll
06-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys. And yeah MPrince, i checked that, and switched them all around to see if other channels work - no result lol. Looks like i'm going to have to try and get a refund. I'll look into the cybersyncs too, lots of people rave about them here i've noticed.

EDIT: Awww, cybersyncs don't have hotshoe recievers? I really liked that about these ones... I think the design is great, pitty the electronics are such rubbish.

06-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
EDIT: Awww, cybersyncs don't have hotshoe recievers? I really liked that about these ones... I think the design is great, pitty the electronics are such rubbish.

You could look at flashwave 2.

DAZ
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #6

You say you replaced the both batteries?
Is this the batteries in the recievers? Or did you replace all three batteries including the transmitter?
06-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
G'day folks.

Do you have more than one receiver? If you do, then since ALL of them stopped working, I'd say the transmitter might need a battery. I don't think I'd put too much stock in the LED as an indicator that the battery is up to transmitting.

06-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a read of this thread. These units are great at a reasonable price and I've fired (no kidding) the sets I have more than 10,000 times without 1 single issue.

Flashwaves