Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Taping 2 AA batteries together.

Is there a convenient way of joining (like taping) two AA batteries together so that they can be swapped in pairs.
By looking into k200d's battery compartment you can see that simple tape wont do because of protrusions between each cell.

Maybe there are some thin cartridges/frames that can hold two AA's?
I'm asking such weird question because it feels very unsafe to fiddle with 4 batteries somewhere out.
Even if i try to release empty ones in my bag and insert fresh ones while keeping camera in bag, several times i've dropped batteries, dented them or almost lost some when they were about to roll of something like a bridge.

Keeping them in pairs would prevent them from rolling if dropped and make it easier for faster swap.

Thank you!

06-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Good idea! A loop of tape at one end works just fine for the K100D!

Iowa Dave
06-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
It's made like that, by the way, so you can fit in CRV-3 batteries. But as I understand it, none of the rechargeable CRV-3s out there work (wrong voltage).
06-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are some voltage stabilized options for rechargeable lithium's. But all I've seen are off brand and when you're talking lithium it has to be high quality so it won't get caught up in flames or explode on random occasion possibly destroying your camera.
Unless there are some genuine, known brand (sanyo, sony etc) LiIon's with high current rating and matching charger (note that charging current control is critical for LiIons), the AA's are good enough.

newarts Idea of taping only the end of AA's seems very good, only the protrusion in k200d is full length. Now i'm thinking of soldering a copper clip around the ends or thicker foil directly to the ends, since they are connected anyway and this would provide better current flow. In addition i could apply some glue between the cells to secure them together even better.
Only this would be too much of a modification to split the batteries quickly enough for use somewhere else.

In the mean while have a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpANRFrI4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ0SNESIkWk
And LiIon's are not that far from LiPo's, wich can burst even when charged @ 0.11C instead of specified 0.1C. (C- capacity e.g. for 2200 mAh Icharge@0.1C=220mA).

06-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I'd try a line of hot melt glue.

Iowa Dave
06-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Whatever you do, don't forget to make it reversible so you can still recharge them!

Personally, in four years of AA use with Pentax DSLR's, I've never found it to be a problem.
06-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There are some voltage stabilized options for rechargeable lithium's. But all I've seen are off brand and when you're talking lithium it has to be high quality so it won't get caught up in flames or explode on random occasion possibly destroying your camera.
Unless there are some genuine, known brand (sanyo, sony etc) LiIon's with high current rating and matching charger (note that charging current control is critical for LiIons), the AA's are good enough.

newarts Idea of taping only the end of AA's seems very good, only the protrusion in k200d is full length. Now i'm thinking of soldering a copper clip around the ends or thicker foil directly to the ends, since they are connected anyway and this would provide better current flow. In addition i could apply some glue between the cells to secure them together even better.
Only this would be too much of a modification to split the batteries quickly enough for use somewhere else.
Why don't you buy rechargeables with the already applied solder flag? That way, soldering them together in pairs is much easier (and the battery doesn't get too hot while soldering).
For recharging you would then need (after soldering anyway) a charger for battery packs.

Ben

06-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Is there a convenient way of joining (like taping) two AA batteries together so that they can be swapped in pairs.
By looking into k200d's battery compartment you can see that simple tape wont do because of protrusions between each cell.

I'm asking such weird question because it feels very unsafe to fiddle with 4 batteries somewhere out.
Even if i try to release empty ones in my bag and insert fresh ones while keeping camera in bag, several times i've dropped batteries, dented them or almost lost some when they were about to roll of something like a bridge.

Keeping them in pairs would prevent them from rolling if dropped and make it easier for faster swap.

Thank you!
I don't really see the big problem with changing the batteries in the field on my K200D. I don't change them in pairs though, I change them all at once. I keep the strap around my neck, open the battery compartment with one hand, and let the 4 batteries fall into the other hand.

Then, I put the used/discharged batteries into a battery case. Like the ones they sell at Thomas Distributing.

And finally, I get another case of 4 fresh batteries from the bag, turn the camera around, and insert them in.
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just carry the BG-3 grip, plus extra batteries in the plastic packaging I bought them in (keeps them from rolling around and also keeps them dry & dirt free).
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting.. plastic packaging. Now i tought of thermal shrink tubes. If only i could get some thinner ones.

madbrain stuff happens but yes, it aint that bad that im dropping them all the time, only few times . I was just curious, because it seemed to be one of the things i could change easily.
12-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #11

Unless there are some genuine, known brand (sanyo, sony etc) LiIon's with high current rating and matching charger (note that charging current control is critical for LiIons), the AA's are good enough......
I have to say I soon tired of AA's short lifespan, so I use the CR-V3 Li-ion batteries, with appropriate charger, (despite the warning in the K100D super manual) and they last a hell of a lot longer. I acknowledge the possible risk of battery fire, but I resent the fact that Pentax has not made an appropriate Li-Ion battery/charger option available.
Perhaps Pentax photography is an 'Extreme Sport' after all !
12-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tasybear Quote
I have to say I soon tired of AA's short lifespan, so I use the CR-V3 Li-ion batteries, with appropriate charger, (despite the warning in the K100D super manual) and they last a hell of a lot longer. I acknowledge the possible risk of battery fire, but I resent the fact that Pentax has not made an appropriate Li-Ion battery/charger option available.
Perhaps Pentax photography is an 'Extreme Sport' after all !
I guess, Pentax sticks with AAs in the entry-level modells, because most people will only make a handful shots at the typical peak photography times (vacations, family snaps,festivities) and don't use the camera at all during the most part of the year. Obviously that ignores the small number of dedicated photographers, who use these cameras much more.

Ben
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Whatever you do, don't forget to make it reversible so you can still recharge them!

Personally, in four years of AA use with Pentax DSLR's, I've never found it to be a problem.
I thought it was a great idea until I read this