Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #1

Cheap battery/ grip clone for k20d?

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a k20d now that prices dropped.

Unfortunately, that used up most of my camera budget

I'd like to get a backup battery, and was told there were several off-brand batteries that were cheaper, but still quite good. (I don't want to buy the Hong Kong special on Fleabay). Any recommendations?

Less urgent, I'd like to get a grip. The d-bg2 would be nice, but again, budget. Are there any clones that you've used that seem to do the job well enough? I can save up for a d-bg2, but if there's something akin to it that does the job for less cash, I don't NEED the official Pentax part (forgive me Pentax, for I have sinned...etc)

06-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a thread somewhere on the forum where we covered the pros/cons of the clone grip market. I don't have a link to it, sorry. But the bottom line was the clones in question are missing a couple of buttons/wheels and although look the same from a distance you need to count the buttons or at least make sure the ones you need are present. We have slightly used pentax grips come to the forum Marketplace pretty often also. If you look back through the SOLD listings you can see what they run.

You might try adorama.com for your clone battery if you don't want to ebay/amazon it. $16.95, free shipping.
06-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

One thing to bear in mind is that right *now,* isn't a bad time to get hold of the genuine article. A certain number of people will be upgrading from their K10 and K20d's with the new model out, and when Ritz and Wolf camera closed hundreds of shops, they pretty much dumped a lot of dBG2s and other stuff on the market at fire-sale prices, so you should be able to get hold of one for quite a good price with a bit of looking.

Oh, also the clone batteries that you can get at Adorama and elsewhere are OK. I think they run down noticeably quicker than the Pentax, but it's not like they're an unfair deal. The brand is 'Power2000' if you see them elsewhere, ...I suspect they're what the other major photo outlets sell, as well.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-21-2009 at 10:42 AM.
06-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually like Imtheguy says most are lacking a feature or two, but the one from LinkDelight had all the functions of the original, except the weather sealing. Thing is that on eBay there is only about a $40-50 difference between it and the genuine Pentax, if you are patient. I would try saving the additional green and get the genuine.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 06-21-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: corrected a feature
06-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
Great, thanks, I appreciate the advice. Guess I'll get the extra battery and then wait on the grip.
06-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

But if you don;t plan on using the camera in the rain or getting it a little wet, then these gips might still be a good option.
All depends on how fast you want it.
Original grips go for $80 upwards used.
06-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
But if you don;t plan on using the camera in the rain or getting it a little wet, then these gips might still be a good option.
Everything you say is true. Its just a matter of choice. For $10, I would have gone with a clone grip but for $90 for a brand new one shipped (our Marketplace), I prefered to stick with Pentax if for no other reason much easier to resell with that nice Pentax box to show.

Hey, if it rains, just take the freakin non-sealed clone grip off. Problem solved.

06-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Everything you say is true. Its just a matter of choice. For $10, I would have gone with a clone grip but for $90 for a brand new one shipped (our Marketplace), I prefered to stick with Pentax if for no other reason much easier to resell with that nice Pentax box to show.

Hey, if it rains, just take the freakin non-sealed clone grip off. Problem solved.
Misleading, you find one for $90 then imply that all are $90. Most even the ones on eBay that start at about $80 end up at $100 plus some with shipping some without.

Then you say it's easier to resell a Pentax, while true if it is in near pristine shape, you generally lose a substantial percentage if not. If you are saying all your gear is pristine, all I have to say to you is, "It's a tool not a jewel!"

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL:
But if you don't plan on using the camera in the rain or getting it a little wet, then these grips might still be a good option.
Again, do a search on completed listings only not just an item search and you will see that over the last month most grips have gone for $100 or more if you include shipping.

With regard to LinkDelight, I have purchased other items from them in the past and been very satisfied with the items I have received. If I needed a third grip I would consider this one as I do not need weather-sealing on more than two cameras.
06-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Again, do a search on completed listings only not just an item search and you will see that over the last month most grips have gone for $100 or more if you include shipping.
That is why I said $80 above.
Most of the original grips that sold here in the marketplace when Ritz closed was an average of about $80-90.
You can check this out yourself and browse the "sold" items on the marketplace.
The ones on ebay generally (for all items) sell for much higher than what are offered here in the marketplace.
06-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Most of the original grips that sold here in the marketplace when Ritz closed was an average of about $80-90.
The ones on ebay generally (for all items) sell for much higher than what are offered here in the marketplace.
Gerry, here is the issue, you saw two grips for under $100 in the SOLD listing so you say they average that low. Truth be told, if you had followed your own advice to look in the SOLD section you will see that just on the first two pages alone there were 21 D-BG2 grips sold at an average price of $109.62 assuming all were sold without shipping (just so you don't have to look, they were not). Four of those included a battery 3 of those batteries were not Genuine Pentax. Of those 21 only two were under $100. If you include those sold worldwide the price goes up to $116.62 at current exchange rates. Difference is that a higher percentage of EU sales include some sort of battery.

The main reason I went backed and checked is that you refuted what I said and suggested I check it out myself. I did exactly that.
06-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

The reason I picked $90 as a point of discussion is because thats what I paid for my NIB grip two weeks ago, with a new remote included. I could have avoided shipping by waiting two weeks (family express delivery!) but paid the $8 to have it NOW. I would not have bought one for $120. Just my price point.

List price, even in the Marketplace does not always reflect selling price. Thats between buyer and seller only. I thought the point is preference. Pay more for Pentax or less for clone. Pretty simple. Most folks would pay a litle more for Pentax versus clone, even in the used market.
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I got a battery for a Minolta that works in my K10D from Ebay for about $7. Works just as well as the Pentax battery that came with the camera.
06-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
I got a battery for a Minolta that works in my K10D from Ebay for about $7. Works just as well as the Pentax battery that came with the camera.
Cosmo let's not pollute this thread with Battery talk. There are already threads about most of the Chinese clone batteries. I also did a test of several of these batteries and plan on doing a follow up shortly.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/44194-cheap-mad...rth-price.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/44863-chinese-k...round-2-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/46273-chinese-k...round-3-a.html
06-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
Forum Member

I wouldn't dare put a knock-off battery in a $700+ camera. Yes, I have two originals, and for $40 each, it's well worth the peace of mind knowing they are genuine. Although the Energizer might be a decent replacement

Amazon.com: Energizer Lithium Ion Digital Cameras Battery For Pentax K20d: Electronics
06-24-2009, 04:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aweir Quote
I wouldn't dare put a knock-off battery in a $700+ camera. Yes, I have two originals, and for $40 each, it's well worth the peace of mind knowing they are genuine. Although the Energizer might be a decent replacement

Amazon.com: Energizer Lithium Ion Digital Cameras Battery For Pentax K20d: Electronics
And where do you suppose the Energizer is made?