Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,674
I am noticing something...Pentax gear is going to lighting my pack by 10lbs+

Seriously, given the size and light weight of even the biggest of the current lenses, I am starting to think I am going to be forced to buy a smaller NattyG bag and/or pack.

Of course when and if I add back my Sigma Bigmos (150-500 -- super lens) it all goes out the window but all in all the gear, especially the Limiteds look much lighter...or am I hallucinating from my LBA?

Then again one could simply buy more lenses to make up the difference. Works for me and I would not need another bag/pack.

06-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,738
Save the cost of the pack. The money would be much better spent on lenses and other goodies.
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,674
Original Poster
yeah, but...ummm...I have a HUGE pack...last year I scored a brand new NG Large backpack for just $125. And I mean it's HUGE...the bit of Pentax gear I will have with me most days is gonna look like a BB in a boxcar on the edge of a razor blade on a 4-lane highway...sorry the last part is probably only funny to me hehehe, as a kid my buddies and I had fun jumbling up comments like that on porpoise.

The danged thing is so large, I am a pretty large frame guy so it does not look silly from that perspective, but my better half, she gives me crap because of it...

Still I love the idea of using the cash for more goodies to fill the bag up with instead!!

As an aside, I really love the NattyG bags. I treat it with Nikwax a couple times a year so they not only are very water proof/repellent, it also stays a lot cleaner. Plus any excuse to get a new NG bag/pack works for me...love that hemp canvas used to make them. It will last for decades where other materials will have worn out or gotten so nasty looking it hurts to even thing of using them, long before the hemp fabric even starts to wear out. Plus as the canvas wears it starts to have that worn look and makes it look as if you "have been around".

Here is the pack I have (I have the largest one):

The National Geographic Online Store - National Geographic Explorer Backpacks

Kinda has that "on safari" feel to it...the sort of bag Indiana Jones might carry.
06-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,738
Well, I looked up your pack, and it might be a bit bigger than mine, a much older version of this one from LowePro
Lowepro - Super Trekker AW II
The normal load for my pack is the following gear:
K10D with D-BG2, M 400 + 1.7X AF mounted, up the centre channel.
In the surrounding pockets
DA 12,24, DA* !6-50, DA* 50-135, A 70-210, M 100 macro, 1.4X AF
In the large outside back pocket, MZ-S with FA 24-90 mounted and the AF 540 FGZ. and some personal things. In the small outside pocket the instruction manuals for the K10, MZ-S and AF 540 FGZ.
Scattered around where they fit are the usual cleaning equipment, polarizers, spare caps, batteries for the MZ-S and such.

06-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,241
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Then again one could simply buy more lenses to make up the difference. Works for me and I would not need another bag/pack.


You have quickly advanced to an LBA-rationalization skill level most new Pentaxians don't get to until about month 6. Good show, Breck.




.
06-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,674
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well, I looked up your pack, and it might be a bit bigger than mine, a much older version of this one from LowePro
Lowepro - Super Trekker AW II
The normal load for my pack is the following gear:
K10D with D-BG2, M 400 + 1.7X AF mounted, up the centre channel.
In the surrounding pockets
DA 12,24, DA* !6-50, DA* 50-135, A 70-210, M 100 macro, 1.4X AF
In the large outside back pocket, MZ-S with FA 24-90 mounted and the AF 540 FGZ. and some personal things. In the small outside pocket the instruction manuals for the K10, MZ-S and AF 540 FGZ.
Scattered around where they fit are the usual cleaning equipment, polarizers, spare caps, batteries for the MZ-S and such.
I think your Super Trekker is a lot bigger volume wise than my NG bag. Mine is around 19,000 cc. And the ST is around 36,000 cc. Though I have a lot more external pockets which are HUGE. The ST was on my short list but the NG bag came up and was so cheap I had to go that way. I have to say it is an amazingly comfortable bag to wear fully loaded pretty much all day. I think that is the nice part of the canvas is the evaporate cooling. Same goes for any breathable material used.

On my bag I have a cheap tri-leg aluminium folding stool on one side, my tripod or, if I am not using it, monopod on the other and if I have all three the tripod is strapped down the front but I really don't like that...I could tie the stool on the bottom horizontally but never tried it...it won't stick out much but it would a bit.

That cheap stool is really nice to have when the ground is way to close to the floor. And it weighs next to nothing and cost all of $7. At one time I could carry my 40D with Sigma 150-500 mounted and hood reversed, a Canon 70-200 f4, Sigma 10-20, Canon 55-250, Sigma 24-60 and Sigma 180mm Macro. Also shoe horned in a 430EX II, misc other odds and ends...plus I can add my 17" laptop in a special well padded compartment as well. All it needs is hot and cold running water and a pocket Van de Graaff Generator and I'd be good.

But it is the belt and straps that really are sweet. Really comfy and easy on me to wear. I would expect the LowePro to be no different, they have GREAT bags and packs.

But for now all I will have to carry is a K-7, DA* 50-150, DA 35mm Macro Limited and FA 77mm Limited...plus perhaps a flash after I recover from this week's spending spree. That is a LOT less gear. I am not sure what I will add next but I am likely to go long with the DA* 300mm before Pentax realized what a bargain it is and jacks up the price. Then I would have more gear...plus I have this awful sense just two Limit'd's will not be close to enough...and I HAVE to own a pancake if I have a Pentax, right? So the list is building...still it will be so much lighter than my old kit. I will really enjoy that I think.
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,674
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You have quickly advanced to an LBA-rationalization skill level most new Pentaxians don't get to until about month 6. Good show, Breck.
See, I am a fast "learner"....
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,738
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I think your Super Trekker is a lot bigger volume wise than my NG bag. Mine is around 19,000 cc. And the ST is around 36,000 cc. Though I have a lot more external pockets which are HUGE. The ST was on my short list but the NG bag came up and was so cheap I had to go that way. I have to say it is an amazingly comfortable bag to wear fully loaded pretty much all day. I think that is the nice part of the canvas is the evaporate cooling. Same goes for any breathable material used.

On my bag I have a cheap tri-leg aluminium folding stool on one side, my tripod or, if I am not using it, monopod on the other and if I have all three the tripod is strapped down the front but I really don't like that...I could tie the stool on the bottom horizontally but never tried it...it won't stick out much but it would a bit.

That cheap stool is really nice to have when the ground is way to close to the floor. And it weighs next to nothing and cost all of $7. At one time I could carry my 40D with Sigma 150-500 mounted and hood reversed, a Canon 70-200 f4, Sigma 10-20, Canon 55-250, Sigma 24-60 and Sigma 180mm Macro. Also shoe horned in a 430EX II, misc other odds and ends...plus I can add my 17" laptop in a special well padded compartment as well. All it needs is hot and cold running water and a pocket Van de Graaff Generator and I'd be good.

But it is the belt and straps that really are sweet. Really comfy and easy on me to wear. I would expect the LowePro to be no different, they have GREAT bags and packs.

But for now all I will have to carry is a K-7, DA* 50-150, DA 35mm Macro Limited and FA 77mm Limited...plus perhaps a flash after I recover from this week's spending spree. That is a LOT less gear. I am not sure what I will add next but I am likely to go long with the DA* 300mm before Pentax realized what a bargain it is and jacks up the price. Then I would have more gear...plus I have this awful sense just two Limit'd's will not be close to enough...and I HAVE to own a pancake if I have a Pentax, right? So the list is building...still it will be so much lighter than my old kit. I will really enjoy that I think.
Yeah, I carry a whole lot around with me when I take the full kit. I have this awful feeling that if I don't take everything with me, I'll need the one piece I leave at home.

For shorter trips, I use a LowePro Sling pack AW 100. I should really have bought the 200 or even the 300 but didn't. In that I can manage to carry the 100 macro, all three DA lenses and the K10 with grip, 77 polarizer in the front pocket, blower too. It's way to tight a fit, but I ran out of money myself.

06-23-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,674
Original Poster
I'm the same way...I never know what mood I will be in until I get wherever I am going to shoot so I lug everything...often even the laptop.

I looked at the Slingpack 200 from your recommendation...is it comfy? A while back I thought I read there was some awkwardness with the bag and getting to your gear w/o dumping it on the ground. Is it just because that person was a spaz? hehehehe...

When it comes to bags I have a prob with some and how the distribute weight on my shoulders.. I have rheumatoid disease (RA) and some bags just don't work. I might just have to drive down to Santa Barbara and head to Samy's or Calumet to see what they have in stock. We have NOTHING in my town and SB is the closest option and a 90mi round trip...sigh...

I keep looking at photo vests or light jackets and, well, I already look goofy and unless I was fishing I would just feel weird in one of them.
06-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,738
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I'm the same way...I never know what mood I will be in until I get wherever I am going to shoot so I lug everything...often even the laptop.

I looked at the Slingpack 200 from your recommendation...is it comfy? A while back I thought I read there was some awkwardness with the bag and getting to your gear w/o dumping it on the ground. Is it just because that person was a spaz? hehehehe...
I have had no troubles with dumping on the ground at all. The trick is simply to fasten the two little safety clips that prevent the large flap from opening all the way. You can then have the lens you want to use in the area furthest from the "hinge" of the flap. Only the top of the pocket will open when the bag is slung around to the front. I simply work very, very carefully when I want the lens that is under the first part of the flap, usually taking the bag off for a few minutes while I regroup the troops.
QuoteQuote:
When it comes to bags I have a prob with some and how the distribute weight on my shoulders.. I have rheumatoid disease (RA) and some bags just don't work.
All the weight goes on the right shoulder with the LowePro sling AW series. This might not be for you. Some of the weight is taken at the waist with the second strap connected, but it must be disconnected to sling the bag around to the front. I think that the below comment might be the best thing for you to do.
QuoteQuote:
I might just have to drive down to Santa Barbara and head to Samy's or Calumet to see what they have in stock. We have NOTHING in my town and SB is the closest option and a 90mi round trip...sigh...

I keep looking at photo vests or light jackets and, well, I already look goofy and unless I was fishing I would just feel weird in one of them.
I don't worry much about looking goofy (see avatar at left) and go for comfort. If people smile when they see me, I smile right back.

Good luck with your choice.
06-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I don't worry much about looking goofy (see avatar at left) and go for comfort. If people smile when they see me, I smile right back.
That is a perfect recipe for getting the best out of people as a street photographer Albert.
06-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,738
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That is a perfect recipe for getting the best out of people as a street photographer Albert.
There is that <something> about wearing a well used Tilley #3 hat. Floppy as a muppet's ears is on a good day. When it gets too grungy, (maybe once a year or so) out comes the flotation pad, into the washing machine, dry it off and put the pad back in.

For those of you who use baseball caps to keep the sun off and have to reverse them to shoot in portrait mode -- no bother with my Tilley. That brim will go anywhere it is pushed.
06-24-2009, 01:46 AM   #13
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
There is that <something> about wearing a well used Tilley #3 hat. Floppy as a muppet's ears is on a good day. When it gets too grungy, (maybe once a year or so) out comes the flotation pad, into the washing machine, dry it off and put the pad back in.

For those of you who use baseball caps to keep the sun off and have to reverse them to shoot in portrait mode -- no bother with my Tilley. That brim will go anywhere it is pushed.
I've been favouring a pith helmet lately, I'm able to squeeze the camera under the brim.
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,738
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I've been favouring a pith helmet lately, I'm able to squeeze the camera under the brim.
You are only allowed to use a pith helmet with appropriate attire. Genuine British issue shirt and shorts, proper stockings, correct boots and gaiters. We will require photographic evidence that you have complied.
06-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,674
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have had no troubles with dumping on the ground at all. The trick is simply to fasten the two little safety clips that prevent the large flap from opening all the way. You can then have the lens you want to use in the area furthest from the "hinge" of the flap. Only the top of the pocket will open when the bag is slung around to the front. I simply work very, very carefully when I want the lens that is under the first part of the flap, usually taking the bag off for a few minutes while I regroup the troops.
THANKS, excellent tip!!

QuoteQuote:
All the weight goes on the right shoulder with the LowePro sling AW series. This might not be for you. Some of the weight is taken at the waist with the second strap connected, but it must be disconnected to sling the bag around to the front. I think that the below comment might be the best thing for you to do.
I was wondering because I had read from a number of folks over the past year that the shoulder strap is really not that wide. Actually my fav bag maker, Tom Bihn, makes a smaller bag called The Buzz which might end up as my small camera bag...we have a couple of them. For now I am using a retired book pack that also has a laptop compartment. If TB would make the Buzz a tad larger it might be ideal as a small camera sling bag. The strap is a case where it actually is wider than the shot shows and it rides very well on my shoulder.

BTW, they also make THE BEST shoulder strap of any maker I ever used. It is called The Absolute Shoulder Strap. It's sort of a rubbery/gel kind of thing and is AMAZING in how to softens the weight and is shock absorbing w/o being too stretchy or "springy". Buying that strap was one of the best uses I ever made of $30...I use it on a bummer of bags and, in fact was considering it as a strap for the K-7 because it allows for clips to attach a strap. TB is also working on an insert for several bags to tote around your camera gear. He has redesigned it a few times now but wants to get it just right...anyway, I buy there because of their business practices and honesty. A company run by honest and ethical folks...who knew those places still existed here anymore?

QuoteQuote:
I don't worry much about looking goofy (see avatar at left) and go for comfort. If people smile when they see me, I smile right back.

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks and if I worried about looking goofy, I might never leave the house...while I was never that sorta person, I find I am less so as I get older...I have been looking forward to this point in life for a LOOOONG time...

The bummer part is I really do not want a true backpack because they can be a pain to take on and off...but, the NG packs are a GREAT fit and I hardly do more than sense the weight is there...but I hate to buy a new small or medium bag and not like it...though I found a seller on eBay from Canookia that has them for $99/Best Offer...I might end-up in that direction. And gear belts are bad as I once upon a time had a fracture in my lower back right were belts sit...sooo, I never wear them anymore wither...yup, falling apart one organ system at a time I suppose, at least the meds are good! hehehehe....thanks again for the useful input!!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
gear, lenses, pack, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax gear for Canon gear pingflood Sold Items 13 01-23-2009 01:56 AM
So I got some lighting gear and don't know what to do with it pingflood Photographic Technique 11 08-21-2008 04:28 PM
For Sale - Sold: Lighting gear for sale or trade jmdeegan Sold Items 3 05-12-2008 07:05 PM
Tripods, bags, lighting and other gear doggydude Photographic Technique 14 03-11-2007 06:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top