Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Got mine :-) The only complaint would be that it doesn't seem to like Eneloops (put in a set a lithiums and these would seem to work fine). Also, I guess I'll need to locate an user guide to appreciate all the controls (having a couple of physical ones instead of a plethora of menu choices seems nice, though :-)
There Do seem to be some batteries that the AF280 does not like. I Had one and sold it to another forum member. I had charged him something like $40 for it IIRC. When I went to test it before sending it, I put my rechargeable NiMh 2500mAh batteries in and it wouldn't even power up. When I put Coppertops (Duracell) batteries in it, it worked fine. I informed the buyer of this and he took it at a reduced rate. To my knowledge, he's using the flash just fine.

01-05-2011, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine works fine with Eneloops.
01-05-2011, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The only complaint would be that it doesn't seem to like Eneloops (put in a set a lithiums and these would seem to work fine).
Head scratching....

I had 3 copies of the Pentax AF280T in the last 2 years (all sold now). For flashes, I use only Eneloops. I don't recall any problem at all.
01-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The above prompted me to recheck with Eneloops and pushing the closed battery compartment door inwards made a difference so I tried cleaning the contacts with qtips and rubbing alcohol. This apparently helped: Eneloops would seem to work fine after all. The contacts might have gotten oxidized and therefore a bit flaky, I suppose.

01-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I ordered mine today. Got it at KEH. Should be here in about three to four days. I'm going to try Energizer Ultimates to start with, then on my next payday, get Eneloops. I have a set but they are in my camera. Guess I could try them in the flash and see if they work.

Anyone know where to buy an 8 pack of AA's, Eneloops, of course.
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Anyone know where to buy an 8 pack of AA's, Eneloops, of course.
There would seem to be several 3rd party Amazon sellers for them for around $21-22 incl. shipping, which doesn't seem too bad.
01-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, but I was looking for cheaper. I can buy two four packs from Adorama for $10.49 each shipping not included. And I've never bought anything from Amazon because they use 3rd party sellers. They have the 800 in an 8 pack but I like the 2000 better.

01-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I think $10/4-pack is reasonable.

Costco.com has them for about $30/12-pack, shipping included - linky.

And I've never bought anything from Amazon because they use 3rd party sellers.
I don't have problem with buying from 3rd party sellers on Amazon. If there is any problem, Amazon is on your side. I once had a problem with a seller shipping the wrong product (it turned out to be an honest mistake), Amazon refunded my money first, then resolved the issue with the seller later.
01-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Those are AAA batteries not AA. Which my K100D uses. I can buy those on Adorama too. I can't find the package of triple A's they used to sell. But I was looking at the 800s and they are more expensive.
01-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Got confirmation that the flash will be here Monday, being a holiday here, I have my doubts. But I transgress as I wanted to ask, if there is a manual somewhere for this flash, that I can download? Edit: found the manual at Pentax's site.
But still want to know this: Also, is there a hot shoe adapter using off camera?

Last edited by photolady95; 01-14-2011 at 09:59 AM.
01-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Pentax Manuals

01-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

But still want to know this: Also, is there a hot shoe adapter using off camera?
If you don't mind setting aperture etc. on the camera a basic two lead/contact (center and body) cable should do: I tried the AF280T with my cheap radio triggers which only passes the center/body contacts closing (=FIRE!) and the the flash light sensor seemed to work just fine in green/red or at least exposure came out ok with the camera at about the same distance as the flash, whereas covering the sensor resulted in overexposure. When the flash was on the camera, the K-5 seemed to be aware of this (flash symbol in the viewfinder reflected flash's charge state, in P the aperture was automatically set for green/red assuming max. distance). The latter probably requires a the two extra contacts the AF280T has.
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photolady,

Pentax AF200T, AF280T, and AF400T can somewhat communication with the current batch of Pentax DSLRs. It's not much, but you may find it useful. Please read this post.

You can use RF remote flash trigger (e.g. Yongnuo 602).

Or you can use a flash extension cord like this one.

I have one like that myself (the flash in the photo is a 540 but AF280T will work):

If you remember, I always recommend Sunpak 4xxD series (or its European 36Dx counterpart). One of the reasons is that the dedicated extension cord and module are readily available in the used market. When you use the extension cord, the sensor is still attached to the camera's hotshoe:

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-14-2011 at 12:20 PM.
01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Jeff. I edited my post to say I found the manual at Pentax. So one problem solved.

jolepp, thanks. I shoot manual, everything, so making settings in camara aren't a problem for me.
QuoteQuote:
basic two lead/contact (center and body) cable should do
Not sure I understand what you are talking about there. Can you show me a photo of that thing?
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

SOldBear, thanks for this. I was editing while you were posting.

I need something not really super expensive.....Is there a place to buy the Yongnuo 602 that's not fleabay. I don't do eBay.