Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

K7+Sandisk extreme III 30mb/s

Will it take advantage of the 30mb/sec?

I'm in the process of buying 3 Sandisk but so far I picked only the 20mb/sec
just because I don't want to spend more if I don't have to.

I've read somewhere only the D90 does benefit.

06-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it is unlikely the camera will max out the write speed of the card, few even get close. But the read speed of your card reader can easily reach the theoretical max. Still 20MB/s is plenty fast unless you are talking about 80GB of files or whatever...

Whatever you decide do research on counterfeit Sandisk cards or just buy for a solid retailer.

If dealing with an unknown vendor, especially on eBay, the odds are pretty high the cards are not genuine...it is rampant around the web anymore, even from sellers in the US.

A good place to check out a potential vendor is:

Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping

BTW, I doubt even the D90 will write files out at the 16-17MB/s the card can deliver let alone the 24-26MB/s or so the 30MB/s cards will deliver. Info on these cards can be really hard to come by because there are a lot of factors involved.

Just buy the cards which fit your budget and sticking with Sandisk is a solid choice but also consider the Kingston Class-6 cards as well...one test over on Tom's Hardware Reviews showed the Kingston 4gb Class-4 cards delivered better write speed than the spec or the the Class-6 cards in the test.

For a device with a supposed standard, there is a lack of well defined behavior between cards of the same class.

Have fun?
06-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
For a device with a supposed standard, there is a lack of well defined behavior between cards of the same class.
Class 6 means minimum 6MB/s sustained write speed. So, noth 6MB/s and 30MB/s cards are fulfilling class 6 requirements

BTW, K20D is also able to write data to card at 16-17MB/s. BTW, I have no idea why, but so far Lexar cards outperformed the same specced Sandisk cards in all my Pentax DSLRS (*ist DS, K10D, K20D). Lexar Platinum outperformed Sandisk Ultra II (tested in *ist DS, K10D), Lexar Prefessional outperforms Sandisk Extreme III (30MB/s edition) (tested in K10D, K20D).
06-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Class 6 means minimum 6MB/s sustained write speed. So, noth 6MB/s and 30MB/s cards are fulfilling class 6 requirements
Yeah, I am aware of that. My comment was maybe unclear...I was trying to explain that there is HUGE variation in what a "class 6" can will deliver in terms of performance. A class-6 designation is meaningless since 6MB/s would drag a DSLR to it's knees trying to write the data out. A HUGE buffer would be needed.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, K20D is also able to write data to card at 16-17MB/s. BTW, I have no idea why, but so far Lexar cards outperformed the same specced Sandisk cards in all my Pentax DSLRS (*ist DS, K10D, K20D). Lexar Platinum outperformed Sandisk Ultra II (tested in *ist DS, K10D), Lexar Prefessional outperforms Sandisk Extreme III (30MB/s edition) (tested in K10D, K20D).
That's great to read. The other day when shopping for SDHC cards I wasn't able to figure out the search to give me any test results specific to the K20D. To be honest the SDHC only design was an issue which gave me pause while pondering the whole Canon to Pentax move. Historically, I have had far more (4/7 in just two years all Sandisk) SDHC cards fail in service than CF cards. I have been using CF cards for at 5-6yrs now and only had one card fail and that card was a counterfeit Sandisk IV card which vapor locked out of the blue. Even the knock-off CF cards are pretty durable. Still I have not used a large number of CF cards, just 6 cards in that time frame, so it's not like I use them a lot...

Good tip on the Lexar cards....have to revisit them over the Kingston.