Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anthing special I should know about Light Meters?

Just wondering - I have two cheap vintage lightmeters, one is a Sekonic Auto-Leader 38, another is Weston Mater IV. I tried fiddling with them - turn knobs here and there, point to lights - but nothing seems to be happening... The needle stays at 0, sometimes sways just a bit - but nothing major...
So forgive me for a stupid question, but is there supposed to be some sort of button to turn the thing on, or do they need some kind of batteries (I don't see a compartment..) or are they just dead?

06-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know about the Weston Master, but the Sekonic is a selenium cell lightmeter, and as such, it needs no batteries. You can get more info there:Sekonic Auto-leader L-38 light meter, exposure meter, user manual, instruction manual
06-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I read that before... I'm beginning to think they're just dead
06-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Selenium cells dy over time, so it is very possible, that your meters are dead. The Weston Master was highly regarded and is still sought after, so repair might be an option for you. There is a company in the UK, that does replace Selenium cells: MEGATRON - for measuring light

Go to the EuroMaster page and scroll down to the end. There are prices given for repair and cell replacements.

Ben

06-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'll pass on that one and just buy another *working* meter... Replacing the cell just doesn't seem to be worth it, at least for me for now.
06-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
I think I'll pass on that one and just buy another *working* meter... Replacing the cell just doesn't seem to be worth it, at least for me for now.
Light meters aren't cheap you know, it's not going to cost you to see if it can be fixed just an email or two.
07-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha! I got lucky and the next two turned out to be working! One is Weston xm1 (model 540), other is General Electric (never thought they make lightmeters!) model PR-1. I really like the GE lightmeter, it has a neato double - "trident" match-needle, which switches depending on the position of the wheel (high/low)

07-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Ha! I got lucky and the next two turned out to be working! One is Weston xm1 (model 540), other is General Electric (never thought they make lightmeters!) model PR-1. I really like the GE lightmeter, it has a neato double - "trident" match-needle, which switches depending on the position of the wheel (high/low)
A good lightmeter will be very useful for you. So, have fun and put them to good use.

Ben