Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pano/macro heads - from parts

I'll not go into WHY you might want/need to use an adjustable "focusing rack" (there's plenty of expert discussion on the net), but here's pictures of three useful racks I assembled from cannibalized bellows racks.

A combination bellows and focusing rack may only require that you remove the unnecessary bellows parts. Some brands, e.g., an older Minolta slide copier/bellows set which has the bellows on the upper rails and the tripod mount in an adjustable slide on the bottom double rails with a camera mount fixed to the rear end of the lower rails just requires removing the top bellows rail.

Other brands, a Vivitar set on single rails for instance, required sawing (yes, a hack saw) the bellows supports off the movable tripod- and fixed camera-supports to eliminate the bellows hardware. This type typically has L-shaped support rails as well as the round slide rods as seen in the picture.

Not wanting to waste parts, I converted the spare bellows rail components into a shorter (and much more convenient) focusing rail. This involved removing the bellows and supports (hack saw again), reversing the left-right position of the focusing rail rods, inverting the focusing block to match the left-right re-position, and drilling and tapping a new mount socket (1/4 x 20 thread). The wounds have been cosmetically cleaned up with files, sand paper and flat black enamel.

Since the length of the focusing rails is much longer than I find useful (they're actually designed to accommodate max bellows extension), I took this opportunity to reduce the rods to half the original length. This make a much more compact device with no reduction in utility for my needs.

A portrait orientation L-bracket was designed to fit only the K200's dimensions for simplicity.

One nice thing about these accessories is you can cobble them together from older, non-Pentax components available at bargain prices. Total cost: about $45 and there's still one more set of parts for a fourth unit if I fabricate end blocks for the rods.

A Quantaray/SunPac mini-tripod as shown has worked well with these rails for table-top close-ups as well as field use when combined with other natural supports.

Directions for finding the "entrance pupil" of a lens for panoramic setups with this sort of adjustable rail are also readily available on the web. Since ulta-long lenses aren't often used for pans, the short rail is quite satisfactory for this purpose with only 2-1/4 inch adjustment available. A micro bubble level attached to the rails is also useful but not shown here.

H2

Coupl'a questions arose:

- as to whether the rails were 'bass-ackwards' on the fourth pix. Yes, and no, The camera/lens can face either way and still use the movement to adjust the focus. Whatever is most convenient (and stable).

- Search the web for tutorials on how to find and set the "entrance pupil" to compensate for parallax for panoramic shots.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 06-25-2009 at 09:22 AM.
06-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well done! I am inspired to do something like this.
10-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A while back I won a bid on Ebay for what was to be a Pentax bellows setup in exceptional condition; turned to a piece of crap! Anyways...I was thinking on converting it into a slider rail and your input has set me in the right direction. Thank You for your idea

Jack Z.