Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Auto power shut down on the AF 360FGZ

I picked up a couple of the 360 flashes at closing Ritz store, and have been working with them a little with the Cactus V2/ebay trigger/poverty wizards. The auto power down after three minutes is a big limitation in using the flashes this way. Not only does the flash power down, it also returns the flash to its default P-TTL setting.

The flash in wireless slave, which changes the auto power off setting to one hour, also disables the hot shoe from functioning. If the flash is set to wireless master or wireless controller, the hot shoe is active, but the auto power off setting is set back to 3 minutes. The only solution seems to be to fire the flashes every so often to keep them alive.

When I bought the triggers it was cheaper to buy three sets of transmitters and receivers, than to buy one transmitter and three receivers, so I have more than one transmitter to play with. The transmitters I have have a 2.5 mini plug for connecting a sync cord. In plugging in a remote shutter, same 2.5 mini plug used on the K10D/K20D, pressing the shutter button activates the transmitter and thus fires the flash. Having also bought a remote with a interval timer, I hooked it up and set the timer for 2 minutes and 59 seconds. This seems to work to keep the flashes from going into sleep mode and having to be reset. This is at the expense of battery life, of coarse.

The setup is to have one transmitter on the camera, and one transmitter sitting near by with the interval timer shutter remote connected to it. To activate and deactivate the timer transmitter, the channel switches are changed away, or to, the channel the flash receivers are using. It is a simple workaround and a little annoying, but the only thing I could come up with.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-24-2009 at 08:03 AM.
06-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #2

I use 1 trigger and 2 alienbees cybersyncs receivers with the 2 360fgz strobes. Same problem, I have to keep firing them before the battery 3minute shutoff kicks in. Manual say's nothing about disabling it, so does anyone have a workaround?
06-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
FDM

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem with the Pentax AF540FGZ. It's incredibly irritating! It makes me miss older flashes, with button-only interfaces.
About the Cactus trigger/receivers, I've been using them for a while (V2s version) and am quite happy. Some users report unreliability problems, though - misfired or missed shots.
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FDM Quote
I have the same problem with the Pentax AF540FGZ. It's incredibly irritating! It makes me miss older flashes, with button-only interfaces.
About the Cactus trigger/receivers, I've been using them for a while (V2s version) and am quite happy. Some users report unreliability problems, though - misfired or missed shots.
Shouldn't be a problem on the AF540. Page 17 of your manual tells you how to disable the auto-off feature.

06-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
FDM

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Shouldn't be a problem on the AF540. Page 17 of your manual tells you how to disable the auto-off feature.
Man, do I feel stupid now. I should RTFM more often...
Thanks for the info!