Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Domke Bug Bag 30

Does anyone here have the Domke Bug Bag 30 or know of somebody who has?
I recently ordered a Bug Bag 30 from B&H and was disappointed when the bag arrived as it looked like it had been scavenged.
Scavenged, because the strap seemed to have been replaced by a narrow one (one more suited for a camera than a bag this size) and it was also missing the modi-vers (the inserts to make dividers for the compartments).
Anyway, if any one of you bought the same before (Adorama did a closeout sale of this), did it come with a wide strap (as it says on the tag that came with the bag itself..thermoplastic, etc) and the modi-vers?
"Coz I returned the bag to B&H and they are now telling me that it really didn't come with any of these?
The info tag that is still attached to the bag (brand new) say it comes with modi-vers, the strap and a vinyl filter case.
Is B&H trying to pull a fast one on me?

06-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. Well, B&H has long had a sterling reputation, I suspect someone's simply mistaken about one thing or another. Could what you saw on the tag have been like suggested optional accessories? Domke makes all kinds of different things like that.

Don't suppose you grabbed any shots of what you ended up receiving for reference? I'm not familiar with that line of bags, myself.
06-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I already returned the bag once I received it, so no pictures.
I found one picture that was from a closeout of this item at Adorama and it did come with the wide strap and modi-vers or compartment dividers.
The guy that bought it was actually very happy with the purchase.
Sad to say, I wasn't the same.
The one that B&H had shipped me and are actually telling me now is, that is how they got it from their supplier.
They told me that all their stocks are like that..so if you guys ever are tempted to buy the Domke Bug Bag 30 at B&H, be forewarnd now that what you will get is a bag with a very narrow (fit for a camera and not a bag) strap and an empty bag.
They are selling kata modi-vers though, that will set you back another $20-30 (just for the modi-vers).
The bag would be useless without the dividers not unless you buy the dividers separate or you make yourself one for the bag.
I wouldn't recommend this bag if it is in this "stripped" (scavenged) condition.
Do not buy this bag from B&H.
06-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
AGW
Inactive Account

You must have put the fear of God in them. I just went to take a look at that bag and you cant even pull up their Domke shoulder bags LOL

Al

06-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just looked again today in their site and they must have pulled it out.
It was still available and in-stock when I posted the problem here.
They are still selling the modi-vers though, that I suspect might have actually come from these bags that they said it didn't come with the accesories listed on the bag tag itself!
06-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally got the replacement but to my disappointment, it NOW didn't even come with the narrow shoulder strap.
No shoulder strap altogether!
I was actually much better off with the first copy.
It's just that I BOUGHT the modi-vers for this one.
I give-up!
I won't even tell them this time of the error of their ways.
There really is just no use talking to people who dont' check the product first before they ship them.
My loss and B&H's gain.
I just guess, this might be my last order from them.
I just have to look somewhere else for my photography supply needs.
I guess that is the end of that.
07-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
they have people posting at Photo.Net so may get in touch with their higher ups there.

07-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
they have people posting at Photo.Net so may get in touch with their higher ups there.

Actually, they've got a rep that comes through here from time to time, haven't seen him in a couple of weeks.

I don't think there's anything sketchy about them no longer being listed if they just found out their whole stock is incomplete. If they don't have the parts to send you, they don't have the parts to send you. Maybe they're backordered? Did they tell you what they were doing?
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would no longer complain to B&H as it has been a futile attempt.
As I said, the 2nd bag they sent me was worse then the first as the first had somekind of a narrow shoulder strap from domke and this 2nd one (exchange item) didn't...and to think I complained to them about the narrow strap and how this was not the strap for it.
B&H must've figured that if there was "no strap", then I won't have anything to complain about.
And I already told B&H in my emails and calls to check first before shipping out the item.
I guess, they didn't check again as this 2nd one was missing more parts (minus narrow shoulder strap this time).
The modi-vers, they had, but it was for sale, when it actually should have came with the bag.
They told me, they didn't have the modi-vers, but when I checked their "used department", they had it and I had to buy it to avail of it.
I just give up.
I know they might make mistakes as they are also human, but to do it twice and not check what you are actually shipping before you ship it out (twice) is NEGLECT and not an honest mistake.

The listed price for the bag was $19.
With parts it should have come with but I bought instead (modi-vers)..around $8.
For return shipment to them for the exchange ($12).
..and I am still missing the shoulder strap rendering the bag a bit "useless" that I still have to buy a strap for (maybe another $10).
My total would be $49 plus the trouble.
I would have been better off if I just bought the Norazza Ape Case 1200 (more spacious too) which I really wanted in the first place!