Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Holster bag, keeping it simple

Hey all,

I have the sling bag (like it), I have the laptop/camera bag (love it). Now I need one more (this one is actually out of necessity).

I do lots of outdoor things, hiking, backpacking, horseback riding. I need a holster bag to hold just my camera (k200d) and its attached lens. I can clip it onto the saddle of the horse or onto my backpack. I'm NOT looking to carry around extra lenses/flash/etc.

Just a simple holster bag. I've looked at the Pentax one, but I worry it won't fit my 18-250 lens if that's the one I choose to bring.

Any suggestions please (leaving on a trip in a couple of weeks, and would love to have it by then--will have the opportunity to try it with the horses before that)

Thanks,
Oren

06-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long holster

I have a Tamrac that easily takes a K200 + Super Tak 300/4 at 10 1/12 in overall. It's of the usual Tamrac quality for dust and weather protection but I don't kynow how much I'd trust it exposed to trail conditions on a saddle or a rafting trip. $16 used from eBay.

I once considered using something like a 100AW Sling Bag with the extra space devoted to foam padding and plastic balloons (for flotation) and I believe it would have been a satisfactory solution. Ended up using a hard case (actually, a small plastic cooler) instead as space wasn't an issue.

H2
06-26-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check out the Think Tank Holsters:
Professional photography equipment - camera bags, camera cases - from Think Tank Photo

I have the Digital Holster 30 that I got to hold my K20D with the DA* 300/4 with the hood in the shooting position. I also keep a RRS L-bracket on the camera at all times which makes a tighter fit in the holster but it does fit. Think Tank makes some very nice stuff.
06-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the amusing idea of adding some Buffalo Bill-style fringe to whatever you get to go with a fancy Western saddle.

I presume that when you clip it to your saddle, you'll want it on the left? If so, you might want to look at one that's meant to open away from your body, so that you can get at it more easily while mounted.

I don't know how many holster bags actually do this, but someone was asking about the Lowepro Cirrus model, which is pretty simple neoprene, (Don't know how well that'd get along with horses) and comes in like two or three lengths. I was shopping for something for my sweetie to put my slightly-odd bridge camera arrangement in, and noticed a bunch of those on Ebay for really cheap two or three months ago. I'm not sure if the material's really all that suitable, but I could see some advantages there.

06-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
AGW
Inactive Account

The Tamrac 5627 will hold a gripped K200d with a 55-300 or the 16-45 both with hood attached.

For your application, it also has two belt loops on the back as well as two D rings under the loops about 3 inches down so you could lash it onto something.

there are slots on the side of the bag for extra cases if you want to ever use it for that. Under the main flap you can fit in some spare batteries and SD cards. the inside flap also has a velcro enclosed area that I stick an SD card case in and there is a zipper closed area under the very top of the bag that holds a couple of boxed filters. You can get a rocket blower in the front compartment also. The front compartment zips closed.

The bag seems pretty well padded and zippers shut but with two zippers on the closure there is a small gap that might let trail dust in, although the zipper is under the flap which also has a snap buckle closure.

It might be worth checking out.

Al
06-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
All the advice is appreciated y'all.

Thanks,
Oren
06-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 is a favorite (of mine) for hiking, but it can be a beast to carry all day. I found the Think Tank holster 30 to solve the problem. The 70-200mm with the hood attached and mounted on the K7 fits into the bag, ready to be quickly removed, ready to go. I also carry the DA40mm in the side pocket and a 1.5xTC in my pants pocket. This gives me quite a bit of flexibility. For those that go biking, this bag offers protection when carried in panniers and is still very accessible. Another lens fit combo is the DA 12-24mm at the bottom of the bag, the f*300mm mounted on the camera (no hood extended) and the DA40mm in the side pocket.

Last edited by ivoire; 07-11-2009 at 11:10 PM.