Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you bring your tripod abroad?
Absolutely, my usual one 2434.29%
Yes, a lighter one 1420.00%
Yes, a very short one 710.00%
Usually no 1622.86%
Never! 912.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
My last trip I took a Gorillapod with a Vanguard ball head. I couldn't always get the exact shot I wanted but the thing is so small and can wrap around almost anything to give a stable platform. I also ended up taking shots from angles that I don't normally think of. I'm pleased with the results. Another advantage is that a couple of places I shot didn't allow tripods in, but nobody stopped me from using the Gorillapod.

I would say the same for the little 6" tripods. There is (usually) someplace to brace it against, such as a doorway, wall, post or rock.

04-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a short (40cm/16in folded) one that is very light, that I take on trips if I fly. It has a 2-way head and the tripod extends to about 150cm (5 feet).

I have owned it for over 35 years and it’s made by a company called Daiwa. It's only good for a camera and standard/wide angle lens.

Phil.
04-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Having previously taken an annoying heavy tripod on a trip I tried instead a monopod and found it also too heavy and annoying. So a few weeks back I bought a SLIK Sprint PRO II and took it on my last holiday. Never again.

From now on I will remember that Pentax rocks for its SR system and that a holiday is meant to be enjoyed. Even the extra weight of the lightest possible tripod is too much.

Professional gigs or purpose-led outings? Yes. Flights abroad? No.

And no, I did not lose a shot. Here are some from Albaicin, Granada, Spain.
Nice shots. I spent a whole day at La Alhambra and then went back at night - it was so breathtaking....

These days I'll take a light tripod if I'm traveling for an assignment - the magazine I write and shoot for always requests a couple of photos with me in them.

If I'm on vacation though, I'll usually leave the tripod behind. I try to be respectful of the travel pace of my traveling companions. I often stop to shoot shots more often that they would - to set up a tripod would be a bit much.
04-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whenever I go on vacation, I always bring with me my tripod (slik 614CF). It may be a little bit more cumbersome than not bringing one but with the tripod, at least I can take group photos easily....the benefits of bringing a tripod far outweigh the trouble associated with it IMHO.