Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$50, messenger-style bag, K10D and grip, couple lenses...go

My Lowepro bag is nice for transport...not so much for walking around

I'm easy on my stuff so minimal padding is desired, this time.

Budget: $50
Needs: Must hold K10D plus grip (~5.5" tall, ~6" wide) with attached 50/1.7 lens (1.5" long) or maybe kit lens or 16-45 down the road. Must also hold the FA 80-320 (6" long, 3" diameter) OR film MX/ME-S with attached M28.

So...normal kit would be something like: K10 with 50, maybe M28 underneath, 80-320 OR 90 Macro on the side. Or...K10 with 50 next to MX with M28.

Must: Be big enough for me so it doesn't look like a purse (I'm 6'3" 165). Feel quality. Weather-proof is a huge plus.

Must not: Be a sling bag. Be square. Be "geometric" with hard tops/sides.

Contenders:
Domke | F-5XB Shoulder/Belt Bag (Brown) | 700-52W | B&H Photo (Waiting on my local place to get a price quote. They haven't carried it since 01 LOL) It's softer so it should stretch to accommodate the prism housing.

Eliminated from contention:
Lowepro Midtown 160 (Best Buy only). Terrible build quality, useless outer pockets if not dry outside. Hard bottom pad.
Tamrac Express 7. Too small width-wise due to stiff padding. Not very attractive.

Is the F-5XB my "only" choice at this price point?

06-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I dont know if this will fit your bill, but the bag I use is this: I selected a non-camera messenger bag that I like (pick anyone you like) and I purchased an insert bag on eBay (for 15$). That way I got the bag I like and it doesn't look like a camera bag. It's waterproof if you want it to be. For me it's the best solution.
06-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a Tenba insert that I use in a Timbuk2 messenger. A good place to get Timbuk2 bags is Sierra Trading Post, got two from there for half price. Adorama and B&H have the Tenba insert for $19.99 with free shipping. The insert fits a small Timbuk 2 bag but I think it would be better suited in the medium size. The Timbuk2 bags are out of your budget but they are great rugged bags and have a waterproof liner.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by MacGirl; 06-27-2009 at 01:58 PM.
06-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Temba looks exactly like what I purchased on eBay. Mine is a chinese no-name but it fits my K20D with Sigma 17-70 attached, plus a 50, my vivitar 70-210, my flash, spare battery, cabled remote, and I can add two-three small primes in addition (it gets less convenient if I do so, lenses pile up ). It's nice to know that actual brands make these inserts, I had only found Domke before reading your post.

06-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
I've got a Tenba insert that I use in a Timbuk2 messenger. A good place to get Timbuk2 bags is Sierra Trading Post, got two from there for half price. Adorama and B&H have the Tenba insert for $19.99 with free shipping. The insert fits a small Timbuk 2 bag but I think it would be better suited in the medium size. The Timbuk2 bags are out of your budget but they are great rugged bags and have a waterproof liner.

Good luck in your search!
Which size bag will the Tenba insert fit into?

I've got a Tenba insert for a messenger bag that I already have, but I'm thinking about replacing that bag because the flap doesn't secure closed well enough for my liking when I've got the camera gear in it. Those Timbuk2s look like a possible solution.

To the OP, also check Fleabay, as they've got some good deals there, as well.

Heather
06-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #6

The old timbuktu bags are great, but good luck finding one. I would suggest saving up a couple more bucks and get a chrome messenger bag or an ortleib. Both are water proof. I prefer the chrome bags myself. Great design.
06-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for advice...I'll check out ebay for inserts. As for messenger bags...where would be a good place to find those if I wanted to look and feel before buying? Kohl's is pretty sparse (if they had any, I could get them for next to nothing ), most Swiss Gear ones at like Staples/Office Depot are pretty expensive.

I guess there's an REI store in town but I've never been to it. Willie Bikes stocks Ortlieb stuff, per their website...but it's not on Willie Bikes' site...

The Chrome Corsair is too small width-wise, but I like the looks of it.

Basically...I want something that IF it's made in China, doesn't feel like it. The Lowepro at BB definitely felt that way...my expensive Lowepro does not.

Needing the grip on my camera makes bag shopping 200% more difficult than it should be

06-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Which size bag will the Tenba insert fit into?

I've got a Tenba insert for a messenger bag that I already have, but I'm thinking about replacing that bag because the flap doesn't secure closed well enough for my liking when I've got the camera gear in it. Those Timbuk2s look like a possible solution.

Heather
Heather,

The Timbuk2 "classic" messenger bag comes in XS, S, M, L, XL. The Tenba insert will fit in a size S or larger, it will not fit in an XS. I can post some photos of my insert in a small Timbuk 2 later if you would like. I'm going to be out and about for the rest of today but tomorrow I could shoot some shots for you.

-Mendi
06-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So far, here's what I've found.

Medium Timbuk2 Messenger with Tenba insert Timbuk2 Messenger Bag with Tenba Camera Insert on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Classic Messenger...thinking about Small cause the Medium is almost 19" long! And I think this fabric is bad ass Timbuk2 Bags - Classic Messenger

The inserts Tenba | Pro Digital 2.0 Photo Insert | 638-251 | B&H Photo Video

Ugh...this would be over budget...but I would LOVE to see the inserts inside a size Small bag!
06-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #10

Here's a couple of shots I snapped real quick in the closet. Let me know if you'd like different views, etc.

Empty:

With gear:

DS with 16-45+lens hood attached, Tamron 70-300 on left with reversed hood, Pentax 50 and flash with diffuser on right.

I can post more tomorrow if needed. Hope this helps!
06-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Mendi--
Thanks for the info and the pictures. I think a small Classic messenger bag will do the job for me.

Heather
06-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That looks like a perfect fit. Is there enough room for the K10/20 either in that position or shifted 90 degrees? The camera is like 6" wide and 5.5" tall with the grip and I know the dS is somewhat smaller.
06-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #13

My K20D fits either the way I have the DS or rotated 90 degrees but I don't have a battery grip to verify whether it fits with one attached or not. I'm almost certain you could make it work with the K20D placed in like the DS, but I'd like to have a grip to tell you for sure that it would. The divider set up I photographed in the standard way the insert comes, most times I just have the camera with either the 16-45 or the 28-75 lens attached and the 70-300. The open compartments usually contain lens cleaning supplies, polarizing filters and personal items like sunglasses and such. With the camera kit in the bag there isn't much room in interior pockets for bulky items, so if you want to have a water bottle or room for other "things," you might prefer the Medium, but if you just want camera stuff it is a perfect fit.

I can post photos tomorrow with the K20D in it if you'd like to see that, ryan s?
06-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just took a quick measure of the K10 plus grip and compared it to the K Mount Page. The ist dS is 125mm wide vs K10 at 141mm. BUT...the K10 is roughly 130mm tall with grip so it will fit in 90 degrees relative to the ist. That was the measurement I always dread when searching for a bag but it seems like it'll go!

I'm a "dude" so all my stuff like keys and phone go in my pockets and stay there lol. I had a bag with "personal storage" but really didn't have a use for it. I might just get a water bottle holder on a clip cause I love water, although I'm never far away from a store

I think I have all the pics I need, thank you so much...exactly what I needed!
06-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #15

You're welcome Ryan and Heather! If you can afford a good messenger bag, whether it's Timbuk2 or Crumpler or whoever, it's worth it. The good ones come with a cross strap that helps stablize and keep the bag close to your body and with heavy camera gear that really makes a difference. And the buckles combined with velcro closures make for a very secure bag too.

Ryan_s you can find Timbuk2 at REI. They don't have all the colors and designs that the website has but if you want to just check them out, I do know that the one in St. Louis has just about all the different sizes. I've seen Crumpler bags at ArtMart also. For the money I prefer Timbuk2 though, you can find them at half price and the Crumplers don't ever seem to be on sale plus I prefer the look of the Timbuk2. Just my 2 cents!