Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I should point out, btw, that cybersync receivers do not have a hotshoe to connect to the flash. They connect via supplied cables. If you get a flash that doesn't have a pc connection (the sb-24 does have one) then you would need to get a hotshoe adaptor, which can generally be purchased for under $20. FlashZebra.com is a good source for hotshoe adaptors and other strobist accessories.

06-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
While we're talking flashes...

I'm looking at the strobist kits on Mpex and thinking about getting the kit that includes everything BUT the flash - so instead of getting the Lumopro LP120, I'd head on over to Amazon and pick up the $89 Vivitar 285hv instead to save money. (the lumopro 120 is about $129) But then I was wondering if I would miss the swivel feature on the lumopro flash. If I am always using the flash off-camera, does the swivel feature matter? I'm just thinking that the umbrella adapter would swivel, right? Or does it depend on what umbrella adapter I get?

Sorry for all the questions about little stuff like this - it's just hard to shop when you can't hold and see and touch the product, KWIM?
06-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is good stuff

QuoteOriginally posted by kewpie-o Quote
Sorry for all the questions about little stuff like this - it's just hard to shop when you can't hold and see and touch the product, KWIM?

Don't appologize, I was in the same boat six months ago. What I ended up with is, the 285hv, FGZ 360 (I don't like using the flash mounted but sometimes it just makes sense), two light stands, two umbrellas 1 Shoot thru and 1 reflector, I bought the cybersync CSRB 2 transmitter and 4 recievers, I also needed the hot shoe adapters for both flashes Purchased from flashzebra.com.

I built some flash modifiers, Both were very cheap to build.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/54114-diy-flash-grid.html

DIY Flash Bouncer

It took me about three months to put this together, I started with about the same budget as you, I'm about $800 in to it now.

The key is to buy what you need now, this will be easy to expand your set up as time goes on.

Now I just need to put all this gear to some good use.

Good luck on what ever you decide.

John
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kewpie-o Quote
If I am always using the flash off-camera, does the swivel feature matter?
I think swivel is most useful for on-camera bouncing options. If you never use the flash on-camera, I don't think you'll miss it. My sb-24 swivels but I never use the swivel because the flash is always off-camera, and I can position the light wherever I want without swiveling.

But that is just my experience, others may disagree.

06-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i plan on getting this kit in september

Strobist Starving Student SX4 Lighting Kit

for me, i'm ordering a some ctr-301's tonight instead of the cactus triggers and won a viv 285 earlier. Add another 285 by september and when that beautiful financial aid gets disbursed i'll get the stands/umbrellas. Any other light modifyers can be made DIY very cheap and honestly, I think its more fun. I made so much crap just using my bosses little achiever flash!

swivel is not neccessary if you're going to be using the flash on a light stand. Its extremely useful, almost required, to use on-body.

I wouldn't fret not having P-ttl, a good flash with good controls you can get the exposures you want fairly quickly!
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much, everyone, for your valuable input!

I have changed my mind so much in this process of trying to decide where to start with lighting, that there's no reason to believe that I'll actually follow through with this idea, but here's my tentative plan....uh...I think:

Lay down a big wad of cash for the AF540 and that's ALL I buy for now. Then later down the road, as I can afford it, I will add a stand and umbrella...and then maybe another cheaper flash/umbrella and triggers....and then eventually an alienbees strobe. (I'm envisioning using the strobe on one side, a flash on the other and maybe one above for hair or as a background light?)

The reason I'm thinking of buying the big expensive flash right now is because I think I'll have a lot of instances when I'll wish I had an flash on my camera. (I've been doing lots of baby dedication shoots and other events at church and I would eventually...talking way in the future here... like to do weddings) That said, I can see myself wanting to get into the whole off-camera flash thing very soon as well.

Before I order the AF540, please someone tell me if I am doing the right thing. Will I be happy with the AF540 if I want to use it as an off-camera flash? Will it be okay to use it in conjunction with a less expensive flash like the 285hv or sb-24?
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I think that will depend on your current equipment and plans for the future.

The four types of receivers are the CSR, the CSRB, the CSR+, and the CSRB+.

The CSR is AC powered, probably best suited for in-studio use with studio strobes. It has the advantage of never having batteries die in the middle of a shoot.

The CSRB is battery powered, ideal for use with shoemount flashes. (But will also work with studio strobes). It has the advantage of portability-no electrical outlet needed.

The + versions are designed for the Cyber Commander product, which I think is not on the market yet. But they will also work (as radio only triggers) with just the CST transmitter.

For me, the CSRB was the best choice, as I have no plans for upgrading to the Cyber Commander, currently only have shoemount flashes, and value portability. And if I ever do get a studio strobe, the CSRB will continue to function just fine.

I wouldn't spend the extra money on the + version unless I knew for certain I was going to purchase the Cyber Commander.
I would also like to say thanks for explaining me the difference between them. I think I will give this wireless trigger a try instead of the cactus trigger.

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2]LumoPro LP120 flash - $129.95 x2
Thank you
Russell
Russell,
have you tried the LumoPro LP120 flash yourself? I was thinking about getting that one as well but I don't know enough info about it. I know that it was designed with the strobist idea in mind but the product is still pretty new. I was thinking of getting that one for might save some money and get the vivitar 285hv.

kewpie-o,
Sorry if it seems like I am high jacking the thread. This thread that you started received some great information from the people who replied. So instead of making my own thread, I just added to yours because I am in the same shoe as you.
I've been doing a lot of research on this subject as well. If it helps you, I plan to get the kit similar to what jmbradd posted http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,12835.html
That kit gets you started with everything you need except the flash itself. But instead of the white only umbrella, I want to get the "convertible" version where you can turn the white umbrella into a black umbrella by adding a cover.
As far as flash goes, I plan to get a pair of the vivitar 285hv or the LumoPro LP120 flash. The nikon SB 24,25, and 26 are also very popular as well.

If you have some spare time on your hand check out this site. It has many info on what you need and don't need and lots of tips and tricks about strobe photography
http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Last edited by SuperAkuma; 07-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.
07-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I would also like to say thanks for explaining me the difference between them. I think I will give this wireless trigger a try instead of the cactus trigger.
You're welcome.

Having used the cactus triggers prior to purchasing the cybersyncs, I can tell you you'll be much happier with the cybersyncs.

Regarding the Lumopro flash, I can't speak to the quality of the flash, but looking at the specs, I'd say it is ideal for strobist work. Looks like it has both a pc and a miniphone connection (miniphone is better) so you won't need a hotshoe adaptor with the cybersync receiver, manual power down to 1/32, and a built-in optical slave.

Last edited by MPrince; 07-02-2009 at 02:59 AM.
07-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't consider it a hijack - hey, if we both learn about our off-camera flash options here and it helps us buy the gear we'll be happy with, that's awesome!

I still haven't bought anything. I do think I'm going to probably go with the 540fgz or something similar (so torn about whether to buy it or the sigma 530 super) for now because I think I need an on-camera flash more right now than anything and then add stands/umbrellas and more flashes later.

Wondering how that works - if I add some different flashes later, and wanted to use the 540 off camera on a stand then I would need to get the hot shoe adapter for the 540fgz so I could use cybersyncs or skyports or whatever for all the flashes. At that point, the wireless feature of the 540 would be useless, huh?