Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo Holiday Checklist

It's time for the holidays. Taking your photo gear? Of course!

To help you organise, I've written an article on what to take. And what not to take. The blog post includes lots of details, recommendations and tips, plus photos.

But here's a quick ten point checklist I hope you'll find handy.

1. Body

2. Power
a) batteries (3 sets)
b) battery charger (universal)
c) prong adapters

3. Media
a) sufficient film and/or memory cards
b) SD card pouch

4. Backup
a) portable USB hard drive
b) blank DVDs or upload site
c) card reader

5. Support
a) mini-tripod
b) full tripod
c) monopod

6. Remote
a) cabled release
b) wireless remote

7. Cleaning
a) lens pen or cloth
b) Arctic Butterfly

8. Storage
a) camera bag
b) general purpose bag with bubble wrap

9. Lighting
a) flash
b) remote triggers

10. Lenses
... a whole article in itself!

Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

06-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice list, but some of these things are a bit overkill... I never really travel with backup except if I bring a laptop for some reason. One tripod or monopod is enough. I don't have two remotes of course, it depends on how you travel. Traveling by car makes it easier, airplane makes things much more complicated ...
06-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
jem

Great article and handy list!

A couple of possible additions for your list:

For me, the clear plastic containers for AA & AAA battery storage are pretty much required when travelling by air these days. I include the plastic caps for the K10D/K20D batteries as well. My local airport sits in the middle of a military base and the security here has always been a bit anal. Had to toss a set of rechargeable AA’s once because they were "loose" in my bag.

The video adapter cable for reviewing the day's photos on the TV back at the hotel/ship is an absolute necessity for my wife when we are on vacation. I pack the power adapter for the camera as well so I don't kill my batteries during "review (and delete) time".

What is an Arctic Butterfly?

Best,
John
06-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
For me, the clear plastic containers for AA & AAA battery storage are pretty much required when travelling by air these days. I include the plastic caps for the K10D/K20D batteries as well.
Indeed so. I put everything that would otherwise be loose into plastic bags and include the battery caps, as shown in the photo. I should add this to the write-up.

The video adapter cable for reviewing the day's photos on the TV back at the hotel/ship is an absolute necessity for my wife when we are on vacation.
You know, I never thought of this? I always just use a computer, maybe because I shoot RAW. Or can the RAW images be seen on the TV screen?

What is an Arctic Butterfly?
Google is your friend! Try this review.

Thanks for the useful comments.

06-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Nice list, but some of these things are a bit overkill... I never really travel with backup except if I bring a laptop for some reason.
Well, as stated there are two of us taking pictures, so two cameras is not really overkill.

Would not bring two remotes or anything like that.
06-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
You know, I never thought of this? I always just use a computer, maybe because I shoot RAW. Or can the RAW images be seen on the TV screen?
Same here on the shooting RAW. Regardless of file format: RAW, DNG, JPG - doesn't matter. It all comes out the video port as NTSC or PAL. Got a 73" HDTV at the house. Very handy for review.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Google is your friend! Try this review.
Yes, same review I found. Interesting device. I saw several combos/bundles on the VisibleDust website. What do you use/recommend?

Again, thanks for the list & tips!
06-29-2009, 02:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting device. I saw several combos/bundles on the VisibleDust website. What do you use/recommend?
I've got the Arctic Butterfly SL700, which might be the most basic of their models but does the job. I find I need to use it more often with the K100DS but have only used it once in six months with the K20D.

I can't speak of the other items, though the one with a little light on the end sounds like a good idea.

06-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually add a couple of other essential stuff for that long trip:

Graduated filters/polarisers
Extra lens caps
Allen keys (to tighten camera/lens plates, tripod legs)
A small spirit level for panoramas
Zip lock bags
Small flashlight
Small compass
Swiss army knife/Leatherman
06-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Swiss army knife/Leatherman
I used to carry those as well - very handy. Lost two SA knives to airport security and a Leatherman out of my locked check-in over the last couple of years...
06-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Graduated filters/polarisers
Extra lens caps
Allen keys (to tighten camera/lens plates, tripod legs)
A small spirit level for panoramas
Zip lock bags
Small flashlight
Small compass
Swiss army knife
I sometimes use polarisers but never enough to justify fiddling with them on a trip. A number of the other items you mention sound good for a camping trip but I've never felt the lack of them on urban holidays.

I do have a selection of little zip-lock bags for any items that would otherwise be loose.

I have never once lost a lens cap. Whoops, shouldn't have said that!