Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting take on a Weatherproof Sling bag

I am thinking of ordering one of these

Amazon.com: MADE Products CA-2001-BLK Seattle Sling Waterproof Bag (Black): Camera & Photo

The reviews are mixed and, if course one can always use just an environment proof big inner bag, but the sling style is very attractive...plus the whole thing is just $48 shipped via Amazon Prime. I have been hunting a sling bag that has a better shoulder strap than the Lowepro Slingshot (100, 200, 300), this bag's shoulder strap looks much better. But cannot say for certain until I get one.

I like it because it not only lets on carry a tripod, it also eliminates the need to set your bag down if the area is wet and/or dusty/sandy...

One of the reviewers does a nice job with a video review...the interior is small, but using a different or custom insert could easily address that issue. Another reviewer really did test out the waterproofing using a garden hose to a swimming pool...the results were great.

Anyway, just thought it might be of interest even is used as a much lower cost alternative to the actual Lowepro Slingshot...plus it's weather proofed.

06-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think a bag such as this one needs to be tried before purchasing, to see how confortable it is for you. The tripod ahcnors look very nice, but the bag looks kinda bulky for the amount of stuff it carries. Just my opinion.
06-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think in the event of a water landing it can be used as a flotation device.

As for bulky that is a completely subjective thing. The reviewer who posted the video review did shot the padded inset is pretty thick and even mentioned maybe swapping it out. He was kind of a candy arse in terms of removing the waterproof bag and insert though. Probably an aPpLe uSEr... ;D

I liked the idea that it has a way to carry a tripod. Did you notice that the way it mounts it's not in the horizontal position while the pack is on your back? That is a feature I look for in all my packs. I am forever getting a tripod snagged on things when it's below or on top of the bag horizontally when wearing the bag in my back.

For me, I am a large framed guy so the pack is not bulky looking to me at all...if I wanted a ruck sack I would grab one. I think what makes it look big is the actual waterproof inner bag. It's amazing how bulky those are, and when combined with a very overly thick insert it's a bit of a miss on the design. Probably why it's only $48ish on Amazon right now. I bet just buying a waterproof liner bag like that of the same size will likely cost near $40-$50 anyway. For the bag's price I would be willing to mod the insert vs. dropping $150-$200ish. Plus for me the Lowepro Slingshot does not work fit wise...the strap is way too narrow across the shoulder.

I am likely going to grab one because I need a smaller bag anyway. I doubt I would lose on the deal if I hate it. Well, not a lot anyway.

Good point though about the physical dimensions to gear ratio...not idea for a lot of people.
07-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have also seen this one..it was kinda bulky and not comfortable that's why I didn't pay any attention to it.

07-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Gerry!! I almost ordered last night as it dropped to $43, but got to thinking about what bdery wrote and just held off because I looked at the member photos posted and the thing is really thick on your back...from looking it might extend 3"-6" more that my NattyG large backpack.

Also, seeing the strap on a larger guy like in the user photo's, it does not look as wide as in the product shots. You comments about the actual comfort are helpful. What about it was not comfy? Was it the shoulder strap or was the pack itself not able to be carried in a good position?

I really wish the strap on the Slingshot was just 2"-3" wider where it rests on the top of the shoulder...that would distribute the pressure better for me....but it's not so that's pointless to ponder I suppose.

I think for now, I will probably not buy one...at this microsecond anyway! hehehe...