Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Using the search function for "Circular polarizer"

I found no posts.

So, even if this may have been discussed sometime ago, there are lots of new folks with opnions.

My question is.

How many of you regularly use circular polarizers when shooting outdoors?

I you do not use one at all....... Why?

Then, please, somebody "splain" to me why digital cameras require circular polarizer filters when film cameras did not?????

05-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do and I don't. Cir-pols are very good at darkening skies, controlling reflections and specular highlights, allowing one to see through windows from the sunny/bright side and into water. This may also enhance some color.

The divide is not film and digital. It something called split prism or beam splitting. This device is found in auto-focus systems and auto exposure systems and uses a semi-reflective surface, and/or a prism to catch some light from the lens and redirect it onto a sensor. The process has the same filtration effect as a polarizer. Two polarizers acting together create a very non-linear darkening effect. This causes auto focus to fail and auto-exposure to meter incorrectly.

The circular polarizer contains a regular polarizer facing the scene and a 1/4 wave plate facing the sensor/film. The polarized light is re-scrambled (not perfect, but sufficient) by the 1/4 wave plate and this allows the auto-devices to function properly.
05-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never have tried a polarizing filter, mainly due to haveing so many other things to learn that polarizing is way down on the list.

Some day.
05-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I found no posts.

I use a polarizer quite often, whenever I want to control reflections and/or glare on shiny surfaces such as windows, vehicles, glassware, water, and so on. By reducing glare and refections, it can allow photographs of mannequins in store windows, photographs of items just under the surface of the water in lakes & ponds, or photographs of vehicle occupants through the windshield. A polarizer can enhance a morning or afternoon sky (richer blue or colors), enhance colors in masonry and stonework (ruins & castles), reduce glare on water (richer blues & greens in oceans and lakes), reduce reflections on vehicles (richer paint colors), and more. Ultimately, since it is so very useful, a polarizer should be considered a must have item in any photography kit.

By the way, a polarizer can also work indoors, when dealing with shiny objects similar to those described in the previous paragraph. However, the effect is not quite as pronounced since walls, ceilings, and floors often reduce the linear aspects of light. Artificial interior lighting also has poor linear characteristics. However, studio photographers occasionally use polarizers with their controlled studio lighting (filters on both the camera and lights).

QuoteQuote:
Then, please, somebody "splain" to me why digital cameras require circular polarizer filters when film cameras did not?????
Actually, most film cameras built in the last fifteen to twenty years also require a circular polarizer. It has to do with the metering and focusing systems used in modern cameras, both film and digital. A linear polarizer can be used, but it may cause focusing and metering errors in some situations. To eliminate any possibility of these errors, manufacturers very often recommend a circular polarizer instead.

stewart

05-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
I found no posts.

So, even if this may have been discussed sometime ago, there are lots of new folks with opnions.

My question is.

I you do not use one at all....... Why?

hi, I put it on and off as needed. I use them more for knock out reflections than I do for skies but I do use it for some of them too it mostly just depends on whether I want the polarised look or not.

There is some degradation in image quality and not all polarisers are made equal. I used a couple of cheapies and found it knocked image quality badly. I was then told the pecking order is B+W -> Hoya / Kenko professional series (I think its called) -> Other Hoya / Kenko -> Others.

I don't know how correct this is and I dont know about others such as Lee (if they make one) but I was B+W stand on their own. As such I went and bought B+W from www.hvStar.com (MaxSaver, BestEastern, hkDirect, hvPhoto) (trades on ebay as besteastern) who are the cheapest I could find anywhere.

phil
05-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use one reuglarly, mainly for the nice sky colours, but a bit to cut reflections and bit to work as an almost ND filter. I have a linear polariser which has worked on my autofocus Nikon and my autofocus Pentax. Mine's a Marumi, probably a cheapie but seems okay.
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #7

I use one regularly, especially at the beach to reduce the glare off of the water...

05-02-2007, 03:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ive got a kind of cheap circ polariser, but im really saving for a set of ND filters and a holder system for them.

I prefer the effect that a ND or GND filter can give over a polariser.
05-02-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't use it to darken skies, but I do use it from time to time for controlling reflections...

I do also have grad NDs which I use from time to time..