Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #1

Pentax O-ME53 viewfinder magnification

hi,

i'm looking at picking up one of those magnifying eyecups Pentax O-ME53 for my *istDL. i'd assume this will also be compatible with the K-7 (going to pick one up hopefully very soon)?

i've read on this forum about vignetting/cut-off status display for wearers of glasses but i'm still wondering if any parts of the actual viewfinder image will be cut off when using this eyecup (not wearing glasses).
i'm mainly after having the viewfinder as clear and big as possible and finally getting some breathing space between my nose/cheek and the LCD screen.

cheers,
thomas

07-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
wll
Veteran Member

I have these on ALL my Pentax cameras. Yes you must be a bit into the viewfinder to view the hole image, but it is not bad. For me the extra magnification is worth it.

wll
07-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasp Quote
i'm still wondering if any parts of the actual viewfinder image will be cut off when using this eyecup (not wearing glasses).
In my case I can see the entire image (coming through the lens) and partly the status display below it. Just have to look a bit down if I want to see the status display clearly and sharp. I like the extra magnification and could hardly live without it now.
07-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it will serve you well too. You're obviously after what it will provide...

07-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i'm looking at picking up one of those magnifying eyecups Pentax O-ME53 for my *istDL. i'd assume this will also be compatible with the K-7 (going to pick one up hopefully very soon)?
Yes, it's been confirmed that it's compatible.

i've read on this forum about vignetting/cut-off status display for wearers of glasses but i'm still wondering if any parts of the actual viewfinder image will be cut off when using this eyecup (not wearing glasses).
i'm mainly after having the viewfinder as clear and big as possible and finally getting some breathing space between my nose/cheek and the LCD screen.
If you don't put the eyecup very tightly to your eye, you can't see the corners of the image nor the viewfinder status bar. I still think it's worth it, though.
07-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just got mine finally after it was backordered along with a split screen for 6 weeks.

Long story. However, yes, you must put your eye close to the cup to get the entire view.
07-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It is a bit thick however so you do get a little more space for your nose despite having to glue your eye to the viewfinder.

07-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
In my case I can see the entire image (coming through the lens) and partly the status display below it. Just have to look a bit down if I want to see the status display clearly and sharp. I like the extra magnification and could hardly live without it now.
Yup, same here.
07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for your input everyone! i've ordered the part now, can't wait to give it a try.
07-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #10

You'll love it...spoiled, even. Had it on every Pentax I've owned, refuse to use one without it. When using my friend's 5D, its viewfinder felt small in comparison.

Sure, you have press your glasses up to it nice and snug to see the status display and the entire viewfinder, but you should be doing that anyway to block out stray light. It's NEVER been an issue for me.

It's really a sin that it doesn't come with or on the camera.

Last edited by TysonG; 07-10-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Fixed typos.
07-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

another happy user here.
I bought my primarily to help my MF with SMC400 but I have to say, tha OME53 is great with any lens. It works great, though as others said, you have to press your eye right into it to be able to see all image and status bar.
On the other side, I wasn't able to MF 31ltd @ f1.8 without it properly. Success rat maybe 2 in 10. With OME53 it jumps to 8/9 in 10.
I love it...

I hope you'll enjoy it too.

BR
Peter
07-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very happy with my OME53 on my K20D. My eyeglass correction is so large, that without the OME53 I can't really see enough detail to properly compose many shots or manually focus any. Or visually confirm the AF for that matter. With the replacement eyecup I cant see all of the corners of the frame AND the readout at one time. But it is a trade-off I am very happy with.
07-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #13

Another O-ME53 user on K200D and K-7 - highly recommended
07-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
It is a bit thick however so you do get a little more space for your nose despite having to glue your eye to the viewfinder.
This is a nice thing to know.