Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
Ha! I think I posted in that thread you are refering to and I remember checking out the Crumpler strap. I'm pretty sure it's very comfy, but it looks very bulky to me. I need to find it and try it and fall in love with it.

I wish straps weren't quick-release. I'm having a time finding ones that aren't. I'm always going against the tide I guess.
try the pacstrap 200:

PacSafe Carrysafe 200 Secure Shoulder Strap at REI.com

07-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
T I was almost ready to just order it online but further searching lead me to Photojojo and the reclaimed seat beat strap. Souldier/Photojojo I was so smitten with these I had to order one up and I'm awaiting it's arrival. It was wider than I initially was looking for and isn't padded, but the fact that it didn't have quick release attachments was a plus and it came in all those nice pretty colors....! I am concerned about the metal buckles but I'll see how it goes...just have to keep that fact in mind when folding the strap in the camera bag. The quick adjustability of the strap is something I'm excited about too. I'll post an update once I received the strap and have used it for a few days for those who may be interested.
Fun! I'll be curious to see how that turns out to be.
07-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #18

Original Poster
Just an update and my review of the Souldier Seatbelt Camera Strap:

I did receive my Souldier 2" seatbelt strap and I have to say this is one finely crafted strap! It's got strong but not too bulky metal buckles. They aren't so heavy that if you accidentally struck your camera with one while putting it in your bag, you would do damage. I was timid about them before the purchase but they seem to be fine and the rounded edges are pretty smooth. I noticed one rough edge but I filed it down so it couldn't leave any scratches on the camera body or LCD. The nylon webbing used is stiff and strong feeling with the ends cut on an angle to make it easy to thread into the strap lugs. I had a hard time threading an old Domke strap into the lug on the shutter release side of my K20D, but with the angle cut end on this strap it was a breeze. Something little but it made an impression on me as to how much easier it was. That lug strap is a bear since it's recessed into the edge of the camera! I was also glad that this strap wasn't quick-release, but I do kind of wish it had a swivel incorporated in there somehow.

As for comfort and wearability, the strap is too wide for me to wear as a traditional "neck" strap but I usually like wearing my strap across one shoulder or wrapped around my wrist, taking that into consideration the strap is very comfortable for across the shoulder wear. Anymore I find that I don't even have the need to wrap it around my wrist, I'd just as soon throw the strap over my head and shoulder and go. The wider strap does distribute the weight more evenly that the 1" strap and doesn't cut into my neck like before with the Domke. And wearing across the shoulder is nice due to the fact that the seatbelt webbing doesn't cling. It slides the camera up and I'm ready to shoot! When putting the camera into my bag the strap does take up more space but it lies pretty flat when folded upon itself so it's not like I can't close the bag. I'm also finding that the way the Black Rapid R-strap secures the camera would be nice, so the lens faces downward instead of out, having the camera dangle from the tripod socket seems iffy to me. I kind of wish camera makers would start incorporating an alternative lug option at the bottom of the camera for those that would like to have the camera carried facing downward. I don't know if that would be a secure enough option, from and engineering standpoint but it sure is more comfortable to carry a camera that way and it would be easy to check out the LCD too.

Adjust-ability is another plus for this strap. The buckles are very easy to slide into the length you like, up to 42" long, and they stay put, despite the fact that the strap itself is slick and the metal is smooth.

Stitching is strong and neat. I didn't know what to expect of a hand-made strap but it looks and feels built to last. The nylon strap ends are finished off nicely with no snags or rough burnt parts.

Overall I'm very happy with this strap for now. After a couple weeks use it's been very comfortable and a pleasure to use. Oh, and I didn't go for a bright color, instead I played it safe with silver. I should've gone for the 2 for $35 deal and gotten a bright teal one for fun.

Last edited by MacGirl; 08-01-2009 at 06:55 AM.
07-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Tyson G - Thanks for the R-Strap suggestion, I've undoubtedly discovered it through my searching and that type of strap just doesn't appeal to me. I like carrying across the shoulder but I'm looking for a more versatile "traditional" strap that I can use around the neck, across the shoulder, looped around the wrist or looped "rifle-style" around the tricep.

The Kirk security strap is a variation that might do some of the above, with the wrist loop not possible.

I love this idea.

Thank you
Russell

07-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #20

Original Poster
That Kirk Strap is not cheap though.
07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That Kirk Strap is not cheap though.
The Rstrap is $54, the Kirk $79, so it is expensive, but it might be cheaper in the whole scheme of things if it replaces the need to buy a QR clamp for your monopod, Ultrapod, or ...

Thank you
Russell
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #22

Original Poster
^^Valid info Russell. Hopefully someone researching straps can gain some ideas here.