Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hsu1 Quote
Which Benro tripod do you use? I'm thinking about buying a tripod and these seem terrific value.
I use a Benro A127n6 (also known as the A157 I think) with KB-0 ballhead. It's an aluminium 3-section one.

QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
Thanks, we learn something new every day, did not realize I could disasemble my Benro for cleaning or maintenece.

Appreciated, Wal'
No worries. Have a look at these links for more information:

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

07-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say that if you have to go cheap, the flip lock kinds are more likely to be reliable, if they have big enough clamps to them. If you get something reasonably-nice, reliability probably isn't so big a deal. Flippy ones can be faster with practice, but can be bulkier, heavier, and get caught on things. (Twist ones have the advantage that you never have to reach from an odd angle to adjust them, though) Past a point of quality, it's all down to preference, though.

It's kind of like with heads: a cheap ballhead is a *real* pain, (at least if you expect it to stay put when you aren't holding the camera) but when you start getting into nice things, you're fine either way.
07-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think I like the flip ones better. I now have one that has screws and one screw will not stay tight, and lets one leg shift up or down...usually down, when I need to be focusing rather than trying to retighten that leg.

And I agree about ballheads..........had one of these, now it's on the shelf.
07-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
VAV

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
I just checked both - they will screw off (and back on) so they technically are not operator error proof. In all honesty, it never occurred to me to even try screwing them off. I am a bit surprised that it would break your tripod.
Jem - thanks for verifying and for your above note - I went back and pulled out another section of the tripod just to see how it was assembled. I was then able to put back both sections properly and the tripod is now as good as new

07-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
Jem - thanks for verifying and for your above note - I went back and pulled out another section of the tripod just to see how it was assembled. I was then able to put back both sections properly and the tripod is now as good as new
Terrific! Glad I could help!

Best,
John
07-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #21
VAV

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'd say that if you have to go cheap, the flip lock kinds are more likely to be reliable, if they have big enough clamps to them. If you get something reasonably-nice, reliability probably isn't so big a deal. Flippy ones can be faster with practice, but can be bulkier, heavier, and get caught on things. (Twist ones have the advantage that you never have to reach from an odd angle to adjust them, though) Past a point of quality, it's all down to preference, though.

It's kind of like with heads: a cheap ballhead is a *real* pain, (at least if you expect it to stay put when you aren't holding the camera) but when you start getting into nice things, you're fine either way.
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I think I like the flip ones better. I now have one that has screws and one screw will not stay tight, and lets one leg shift up or down...usually down, when I need to be focusing rather than trying to retighten that leg.

I was looking for an excuse to buy a new tripod but I managed to reassemble my existing tripod and maybe putting off the tripod purchase.

For those interested in a flip lock tripod, Giottos has a new line of tripods with flip locks (MTL series) Confused had an excellent review of a similar (but twist lock) Giottos tripod that I was also looking at but was put off by the twist locks - see this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/29879-giottos-mtl9351b-...commended.html That same model is now available in carbon fiber legs and flip locks (Giottos MTL 8350B)
07-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

Hrm, that's potentially fix-able, though, the tripod leg, though that's the common problem with cheaper twisty ones. Sometimes it's just that there's too much lubrication in there, and that can be cleared up by cleaning. If you can disassemble it like Jem described, all may not be lost. If it is, though, potentially you could just duct-tape, (edit: I can't believe I forgot our old friend gaffer tape ) epoxy, or superglue those joints to a useful position and have a less-portable but probably steadier.

Occasionally a slippy ball-head can be shimmed, as well. The problem with the cheap ones is that they often have poor machining or inferior materials, though.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 07-10-2009 at 09:35 AM.