Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recently found two stuck pins on my grip as well. Was able to use a needle to round out the edges around the stuck pins and both popped back up--apparently they hadn't slipped the springs, both function fine now. I did have to get pretty rough about opening the holes with the needle, but I figured there was little or no risk because without the pins the grip is useless anyway. Now my grip is stowed with the little plastic pin cover in place! (the grip is packaged with the plastic pin cover in place...I found my cover in the original box where I had left it with the original packing materials).

07-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Jodokast96.

From past experiences, I'm now well aware of the woes that are inherent to this kind of op.s, believe me. That's why I always ask for instructions from people like you, before performing such an operation. I'm convinced, that it's not that hard and I'm willing to go ahead one of this days; I'm just waiting for the "peace of mind" that such procedures require and, like you said, for the free time it requires (definitely, don't want to do this in a hurry).

Of course, if you decide to fix yours and take some pics on your doings, I (and the other members suffering from the same problem, I dare to say), will be thankful if you could post them.

Thanks again.
07-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Was able to use a needle to round out the edges around the stuck pins and both popped back up.
Thanks Ron; I've tried that approach; no luck; the pins are stucked for good; they must be out of the springs or bended and jammed on the rigs.

BTW, my (used) grip didn't come with a cap but I've managed to make a new one from two RGB cable caps, joined together with some glue tape; curiously, the DIY cap fits perfectly on the coupling device.
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Thanks Ron; I've tried that approach; no luck; the pins are stucked for good; they must be out of the springs or bended and jammed on the rigs.

BTW, my (used) grip didn't come with a cap but I've managed to make a new one from two RGB cable caps, joined together with some glue tape; curiously, the DIY cap fits perfectly on the coupling device.
Hrm. That could be useful. Because of stories like this, I'm very very careful about handling the grip when I recharge batteries: I like to keep the original cap right where the chargers are, but it could also be nice to have one to take with me if for whatever reason I want to lighten my load.

07-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Forum Member

I'm sorry I haven't returned to this thread since my initial reply. I've even been wondering if anyone posted something very useful that I might use to make a 2nd attempt; seems that's happened! I couldn't tell that the pin box itself was just glued shut (if I read that correctly), so now I have a little more hope.

If I can find my screwdriver set, I might have a go at it tonight. I will take pictures. Don't expect good ones, though.

later-in-the-night edit: not happening tonight. possibly tomorrow if I get out of jury duty early enough.

Last edited by xixco; 07-19-2009 at 08:18 PM.
07-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xixco Quote
...not happening tonight. possibly tomorrow if I get out of jury duty early enough.
Thanks for your reply.

Please, take your time, don't go in a hurry; as for the photos, they would be very welcome, good and bad ones. Wish you good luck.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Re-reading the thread, I noticed that you have failed with two small screws, also referred by pierrotlefou, on his 07-10-2009, 07:19 PM message, as difficult to reach and to screw on, after been taken out. His advising the use of a magnetized screw driver to insert them on place; also, a small drop of contact glue on the head of the screw may help positioning it. The use of a precision tweezer may come in handy too, on this kind of stuff.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-20-2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Adding some P. S.
07-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm. That could be useful.
Just a note if you are interested on making the cap.

I've only found one cap type that fits exactly on the grip CD and they came with computer stuff, but I don't remember exactly from where; my best guess is that they belonged to a RGB cable, but I'm not sure. These are perfect rectangles (I've other caps that are not; rather, they are slanted so one side of the cap fits but the other don't).

If you could find two rectangular caps identical to the ones I've used, with a knife and a small file it's very easy to make a perfect spare cap for your grip. Just cut one side of the cap from the inside, remove any imperfections, left behind by the knife, with the file and join the two caps with duct tape - better not use any kind of glue! (they will stick together quite well with tape).

Of course, all this (little) work is justifiable for me because I can't find the original cap on sale around here and it would be somewhat ridiculous ordering it from abroad.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-20-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: verbal correction
07-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Re-reading the thread, I noticed that you have failed with two small screws, also referred by pierrotlefou, on his 07-10-2009, 07:19 PM message, as difficult to reach and to screw on, after been taken out. His advising the use of a magnetized screw driver to insert them on place; also, a small drop of contact glue on the head of the screw may help positioning it. The use of a precision tweezer may come in handy too, on this kind of stuff.
not happening tonight, either... jaja

I'm honestly not too concerned about the 2 screws, as the entire assembly seems to hold together quite well even without their being in place. Definitely some small, precision instruments would help in replacing them, though.
08-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #24
Forum Member

Pics!

Never mind I'm more tired than tired right now, I made myself do this for all our benefit. Once again, sorry for the delay!

How bad my pins are:

With the top metal plate off:

After removing the 8 screws on the bottom, you have this:

I hope nobody minds, but I'm going to make these last 2 large.

The pin housing:

Upside-down to show the bit holding the pins in place:

^mine looks like that because right before taking the picture I tried to pry it off with my fingernail

I might need to add 1 or 2 more to this, because it just hit me that I know that housing is part of the plastic piece on which it sits, going towards the dial-side, but maybe not everyone else gets that. Also, I want to show the electronic piece (I don't know the correct term) that's preventing me from taking the part with the housing completely off.

Anyway, this is as far as I can get, although I managed to snap off one of my pins some time ago trying to straighten it, so I might as well just start tearing this thing apart as it's useless as-is.

more-pics edit:
Trying to show here that the pin housing and the flat piece it sits on is is all one piece:

The orange thing my finger's pointing at, that is what prevents me from taking that top part (housing/flat piece) off:

Now if that's just glue holding that orange piece on, then I'll be more than happy to tear it off. What kind to I use to put it back in place, though?

2nd edit:
I completely forgot about the silver screws. I don't know where they go, and didn't see their holes while taking it apart this time. Sorry!

Last edited by xixco; 08-29-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: add more pics
08-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Certain parts are just adhesive holding the flexible wire trace, but other parts are soldered in place. You've inspired me; I'm taking mine apart now as well and will post any thing not yet covered.
08-30-2009, 05:55 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Ok, here goes:

To keep things straight, I kept the screws, etc. removed from each step seperate so I knew what went with what and so they wouldn't end up lost since everything is quite small. I used a coaster, but any small container would work.

Step 1.
Remove the 11 screws holding the top plate, and remove the top plate.

Note the four o-rings. They may or may not stay in place, so be careful not to lose them. You can try to remove them, but if they don't come easily, I'd suggest leaving them be so that you don't damage them.

Step 2.
Flip the grip over and remove the 8 bottom screws. The two outer pieces will now slide apart from the guts.

Step 3.
Remove the 5 screws holding the silver plate in place, and then remove the plate.

Step 4.
Remove these 6 screws. Now this is where you want to be careful, as everything is now being held together by soldered wire connections. If you yank them, you had better be able to use a soldering iron.

Gently lift the upper assembly and remove the grip attachment screw.

Step 5.
The orange wire trace here is just stuck on with adhesive. It can be pulled free from the lower assembly and give you a little more play between the upper and lower assemblies still connected by the soldered wires.

Step 6.
Now you have a choice of how to proceed. If you can access them easily enough, you can remove the screws holding the electrical contacts in place. This will allow you a bit more freedom for handling pieces in the following steps with out fear of breaking the connections. But you do not have to do this. Everything else can still be done with them connected. I've done this without removing them twice in the past (the second time requiring use of a soldering iron DOH!), but this time I'm removing them. Choose whichever you are most comfortable with. *EDIT* Reattaching the contacts on reassembly was not easy. Was a real bear trying to hold everything in position while getting the screw in place. Not sure that I'd go that route in the future.

If you remove them, there is a small piece under the contact with the black wire which isolates it from the connector the grey wire is attached to. Don't lose it.

Also, these two pins will fall out if you on you if you just flip the piece over, so be sure to catch them.

Step 7.
Removing these two screws will give you access to the wire trace that covers the springs.

Again, there are two pins the will pop out, so be sure to catch them.

Step 9.
The cover over the springs is held in place by adhesive. Care needs to be taken not to bend or break it. Also, the springs may launch when removing it. I'm not going any further with mine, as it is currently fine and don't want to press my luck, but once you have access to the springs, you may need to bend them back into shape. Once you have the springs and/or pins straightened, and you are replacing the wire trace cover, the adhesive probably won't have enough strength to keep things in place completely (and is most likely the original cause of the springs becoming dislodged in the first place). I used some of the sticky adhesive found in office supply stores to keep things in place. So far, it's worked, but if you have any alternative ideas I'm open to them. All that's left is to put everything back together.

As an aside, one other little issue I had with the grip was that the OFF/ON/Preview switch was very stiff and would stick from time to time. To fix this, I slightly loosened the 3 screws from inside that hold it in place following Step 2. If you loosen it too much, there is a small BB that will fall out. This BB keeps the switch locked it in the ON and OFF positions. A slight bit of dielectric grease may also work here, but I didn't have any handy. Sorry, no pics of this, as my batteries died.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 11-22-2009 at 01:27 PM.
08-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #27
Forum Member

good call with the arrows --- I was so tired, I didn't even think to do that.
Question: is it necessary to remove the metal plate on the bottom??
08-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

This'd be a good thread to mark. Really potentially-useful photos. Nice job.
08-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xixco Quote
good call with the arrows --- I was so tired, I didn't even think to do that.
Question: is it necessary to remove the metal plate on the bottom??
Actually, you may not have to, but now I'm really not too sure.
12-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #30

Hi,

I have the same problem with two pins. I've seen that in the total amount of pins, four are without springs and the others are with springs.
I have a problem with two pins. If I understand well, the problem comes from the piece that support all the pins (through the spring or not).
Does the "glue" solution work well? What kind of glue I should use? Is there any other solution?

Regards.

Malsi

"I used some of the sticky adhesive found in office supply stores to keep things in place. So far, it's worked, but if you have any alternative ideas I'm open to them. All that's left is to put everything back together."