Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar DF-383 Review

Here is my review of the Vivitar DF-383 Series-1 flash. After years of shooting withe the legacy Vivitar 285HV, I decided to dable in the dedicated waters. I also wanted a flash that I could mount on the camera without the use of a bracket for bounce lighting. However, I did not have a lot of cash to plunk down on a top-of-the- line unit. The Pentax 360 is attractive with a reasonable price, but IT DON'T SWIVEL!

I purchased the Vivitar DF 383 for about $140 with shipping. The flash arrived pretty quickly and it was on to testing.

The flash comes with a nice pouch. The directions were easy to read and covered various camera manufacturers.

The flash has a problem seating in my K10D. If not pushed in foward all the way, it will fire, but not dedicated. It supports P-TTL only; it does not work dedicated on my K100DS. It also has a autofocus assist light.

The flash does not support P-TTL wireless.

The flash will fuction as a dedicated unit on my K10D with the flash head facing foward. It has an automatic zoom motor ( which is quite noisy) that covers a range from 24mm to 85mm. Once it is tilted or swiviled, the zoom mode blinks at the 50mm setting (and stays at that setting), and it fires at full power. It is like having my 285 with a swivel head. You can also adjust the zoom head manually.

It has the ability to reduce power with five different settings including 1/8 power if you choose to shoot manually.

The flash also has a built in slave mode which works quite nicely. It will sync up to 1/180 in manual mode on my CTR-301 wireless flash trigger.

With the flash head facing foward, the flash does a decent job of acuratly exposing subjects. Once you stop down the lens past f/5.6 or f/8, it starts to underexpose.

What threw me for a loop is the fact it will not work dedicated fully in bounce or swivel mode. It severely underexposes when I try to bounce the flash.

To overcome this, I use + exposure compensation for both the flash mode and camera exposure. Both settings a plused all the way up. The manual white balance does not work when the flash is in P-TTL mode so watch for those colored walls if you bounce.

The flash has a guide # of 148 which should suite the needs of most photographers.

Overall, I am dissapointed with the lack of ability to give great dedicated results when the flash head is turned away from the default forward position. However, it great as a manual flash with the added ability to swivel.

The flash also comes with a built in difusser and a bounce card.

Full settings with flash head foward.
Name:  Wireless Flash 043.jpg
Views: 8312
Size:  32.7 KB
No settings in bounce mode.
Name:  Wireless Flash 044.jpg
Views: 7639
Size:  18.9 KB
No settings in swivel mode.
Name:  Wireless Flash 051.jpg
Views: 7816
Size:  30.5 KB
Autofocus assist light.
Name:  Wireless Flash 052.jpg
Views: 7665
Size:  35.6 KB
Diffuser and bounce card.
Name:  Wireless Flash 054.jpg
Views: 10526
Size:  26.1 KB

Last edited by res3567; 07-08-2009 at 08:08 AM.
07-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I was also curious about this flash and had been contemplating on it.
Thanks for the review.
I would assume the DF 283 to have the same characteristics?
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Thanks for the review.
I think that flash is not as powerfull. I will research it tonite and get back with you.
07-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Is this the same as the Vivitar DF 4000MZ P-TTL Flash?
Would the DF 383 just be its generic name?
They look the same..not unless Vivitar came out with something newer.

07-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the review.
Is this the same as the Vivitar DF 4000MZ P-TTL Flash?
Would the DF 383 just be its generic name?
They look the same..not unless Vivitar came out with something newer.
In the power rankings of these flashes, the 400 is at the bottom with a guide number of 131.

Next is the 283 with a guide number of 138. The 283 has no manual fuctions.

At the top is the 383 with a guide number of 148.

The 400 does not apperar to have a model for Pentax. Its made similar to the 383 with similar features except for a smaller guide number.

Check it:

Vivitar | DF400MZ Digital TTL Shoe Mount Flash | DF400MZN | B&H

Vivitar | DF 283 Series 1 Digital TTL Shoe Mount | DF-283-PEN

Last edited by res3567; 07-16-2009 at 12:56 AM.
07-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmm..just did a google and there seems to be a dicrepancy with the additional "0".
It actually is the 400 and not the 4000, but they list them at ebay as the 4000.
Thanks for the info.
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm..just did a google and there seems to be a dicrepancy with the additional "0".
It actually is the 400 and not the 4000, but they list them at ebay as the 4000.
Thanks for the info.
Anything I can do to help, Gerry!

Thanks for your positive support!

07-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I was wrong about the compatability of the flash and the K100DS. It DOES work DEDICATED.

The problem was I did not have the flash pushed into the hotshoe all the way.

I am sorry for the mistake!

I also said it does not work fully dedicated/ TTL in bounce and swivel mode; it will change the shutter speed and the autofocus assist lamp lights up. It also locks the shutter speed below 1/180 even if camera and flash are in full manual mode together.

It just locks the zoom into the 50mm position and it will not display the camera settings.

Also I said the manual WB will not work with the flash, I had my K10D set to change WB to flash mode in the custom menu.

The flash still underexposes if you bounce or swivel it in TTL mode, just not as much. FEC and EV compesation helps with this problem.

I was so excited about this flash,I became careless and did a moderate job of butchering parts of this review.

This is a great flash for those on a budget.

Last edited by res3567; 07-28-2009 at 10:50 PM.
07-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #9

Hi i have this flash but it stopped firing after i used it for 2 days =/
I can hear it charge up but when i try 2 fire it, by connected to my K-7's hotshoe or just by pressing the test button all that happens is the Auto Ok light, lights up. Ive tried all the different modes and nothings happening.
Was just wondering if u had any sort of problem like this with your flash
07-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
UPDATE!

I was wrong about the compatability of the flash and the K100DS. It DOES work DEDICATED.
Yes, I was kinda surprised 'coz it did say that it works P-TTL on pentax DSLR's and is fully dedicated.
I'm glad you finally got it to work!
That's good news for those reading this post.
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
Hi i have this flash but it stopped firing after i used it for 2 days =/
I can hear it charge up but when i try 2 fire it, by connected to my K-7's hotshoe or just by pressing the test button all that happens is the Auto Ok light, lights up. Ive tried all the different modes and nothings happening.
Was just wondering if u had any sort of problem like this with your flash
The only problem I had with the flash was I did not have it pushed in all the way into the hotshoe.

It would fire but not work dedicated with my K100DS.

It would work dedicated on my K10D but sparatically.

When I finally figured out what the problem was, I reattached it to my K100DS and now it works fine.

Your problem seems to be internal with the flash. The capacitor charges up, but will not discharge the flash.

The flash has warranty information; use it. Send it back for repair or replacement.

I am sorry to hear that.
07-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
The only problem I had with the flash was I did not have it pushed in all the way into the hotshoe.

It would fire but not work dedicated with my K100DS.

It would work dedicated on my K10D but sparatically.

When I finally figured out what the problem was, I reattached it to my K100DS and now it works fine.

Your problem seems to be internal with the flash. The capacitor charges up, but will not discharge the flash.

The flash has warranty information; use it. Send it back for repair or replacement.

I am sorry to hear that.
Hi Rez3567
Will the Vivitar work with a K200D

Rick
07-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drogheda99 Quote
Hi Rez3567
Will the Vivitar work with a K200D

Rick
Hi and welcome to the forum! Yes the flash is compatable with the K200D which is an excellent camera.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask!
07-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #14

hmmm,
well ive emailed vivitar about the problem about 3 times in the last week now and no reply =/
think i should risk just sending the flash back to the address in the manual and hope for the best?
not sure if the warranty covers me in Australia either =(
07-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
hmmm,
well ive emailed vivitar about the problem about 3 times in the last week now and no reply =/
think i should risk just sending the flash back to the address in the manual and hope for the best?
not sure if the warranty covers me in Australia either =(
That is kinda risky and I wouldn't recommend it.
I too asked Vivitar about the warranty on the 285HV as a seller on ebay was advertising it new with 2 year warranty.
I was never doubtful about the "new", it was the warranty I was worried about and sure enough, they passed the bucket and told me that it was the manufacturer's warranty.
When I tried to email Vivitar too..no replies.
It's a good thing my flash still works.
I guess I'll cross the bridge when I get there about the warranty issue but I would definitely not send in an item without their awknowledgement.