Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The perfect bag? No such thing....but...

Just trialed various Domke, Crumpler, National Geographic, Tamrac, Kata, Thinktank, Billingham and Lowepro bags (dont say I'm not thorough) and ended up with yet another Lowepro bag - the stealth reporter D400AW. Holds two K10 bodies (long and short zoom lenses on) plus a lod of primes or another zoom, epson P2000, spare battery, cleaning kit, etc.
All the rest I could not get on with.
Domke - lovely quality (US version of Billingham) but the inserts are a pain. You need to buy a whole load of them to reconfigure your bag. Partitions (as in Tamrac and Lowepro) are a lot more versatile.
Billingham - as Domke but the straps are a right pain - non-removable and have to be threaded through the mounting loops to do them up. Nah!
Crumpler - nice big bags but by the time you sort through all the padding the internal dimensions are tiny compared to the outside. Silly names as well.
Tamrac - similar to Lowepro but never seem to have a bag that exactly fits what I need.
Kata - trendy - but small internal dimensions (again) and rather pricey.
National Geographic - who designed these? So may compartments but none of them big enough.
Thinktank - innovative but very pricey. Nothing big enough internally for my needs though some versatile kit for travellers.
So back to Lowepro again. Dont know why but with a bit of frigging about with internal partitions, they always seem to end up being a perfect fit.
So now I have no less than 7 lowepro bags (4 shoulder, 1 sling, 1 backpack and 1 zoom case) 1 crumpler (laptop + camera rucksack) 1 tamrac (mini backpack) and 1 Domke backpack.
Plan to whittle this down to 1 zoom case, 1 backpack and 1 shoulder bag. The rest to go on ebay.
So you think I have CBA (Camera Bags Anonymous)? Talking to a very helpful salesman in Jacobs today, he relayed a story about a photojournalist who wanted to "trade in" some old bags. 21 of them to be precise. And he had several more at home!

05-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still searching...

I'm with you - still searching - and trying to find space for the bags I thought were great...

Right now I'm favouring my Tamrac Tele Zoom lens bag (Pro Digital Zoom 7 or 9) and then I attach a lens case to either side - selected in size for each photoshoot to fit the two extra lenses I limit myself to bring.

When I carry more I go for a belt with lens cases attached, and a tele zoom bag. I know, it looks weird, but at least my back doesn't hurt, and I can get to the gear!

These outfits can also hold my 645 equipment, when I do film. Very handy.
05-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
CDP
Forum Member

Steve,

I've had my K100D a couple of weeks now and a bag is high on my wishlist. I'm looking at the Lowepro SlingShot 100. Do you have that one and if so what do you think about it?
05-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by CDP Quote
Steve,

I've had my K100D a couple of weeks now and a bag is high on my wishlist. I'm looking at the Lowepro SlingShot 100. Do you have that one and if so what do you think about it?
I have the Slingshot 200, and it is great... depending on the level of LBA, I would think it would work fine for many. I like the fact that it will take up to a 300mm tele in height, 4 other misc lenses, the camera K10D and still have space for the flash and misc stuff.

On the back it is comfortable, and a quick flip and the bag is on your waist for easy access without removal and the need for a place to put the bag while changing lenses.

Phil

05-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I've about given up on finding a bag that suits my needs (although I do live out in the sticks, so shopping ain't easy). I need minimal volume with maximum protection. IOW, a padded/armoured bag just big enough to hold one body with zoom mounted, a longer zoom, and the 540FGZ. A bit of extra room for a spare battery, charger and necessary cables, etc. Something that will secure to a rear rack on a mountain bike, stow tightly in a pack on a ten day backpacking trip, etc. Waterproofing I can deal with by sticking it in a small dry bag.

There's quite a bunch of guys these days building custom tactical gear for guys going over to play in the dustbin. Old parachute riggers putting their sewing talents to good use and whatnot. I'm thinking I need to bring my gear to one of them and have them build me a custom bag with stiff plastic outer walls and foam padding inside that. Welded zippers would make it virtually waterproof without even the dry bag. But what a pain that will be...
05-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Start a new company

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
I've about given up on finding a bag that suits my needs (although I do live out in the sticks, so shopping ain't easy). I need minimal volume with maximum protection. IOW, a padded/armoured bag just big enough to hold one body with zoom mounted, a longer zoom, and the 540FGZ. A bit of extra room for a spare battery, charger and necessary cables, etc. Something that will secure to a rear rack on a mountain bike, stow tightly in a pack on a ten day backpacking trip, etc. Waterproofing I can deal with by sticking it in a small dry bag.

There's quite a bunch of guys these days building custom tactical gear for guys going over to play in the dustbin. Old parachute riggers putting their sewing talents to good use and whatnot. I'm thinking I need to bring my gear to one of them and have them build me a custom bag with stiff plastic outer walls and foam padding inside that. Welded zippers would make it virtually waterproof without even the dry bag. But what a pain that will be...
I cant believe half the people who design photo bags actually use them!
However you would be impressed by the level of protection on some of them like the Crumpler and KATA bags!
05-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good idea

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I'm with you - still searching - and trying to find space for the bags I thought were great...

Right now I'm favouring my Tamrac Tele Zoom lens bag (Pro Digital Zoom 7 or 9) and then I attach a lens case to either side - selected in size for each photoshoot to fit the two extra lenses I limit myself to bring.

When I carry more I go for a belt with lens cases attached, and a tele zoom bag. I know, it looks weird, but at least my back doesn't hurt, and I can get to the gear!

These outfits can also hold my 645 equipment, when I do film. Very handy.
Adding pouches and lens bags to an existing bag is a great idea - and adding them to a belt keeps the weight off your back too. There are enough loops on the Lowepro to make me wonder if I could not rig up a shoulder harness and carry it like a backpack some of the time..... hmmm.

05-04-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a store, maybe in NYC, where every camera bag produced were available? All it would take is a plane trip...

I suffer for CBA as well. The C can stand for 'camera', 'computer', or 'camping'. Just a casual glance around my office, I see over a dozen bags for computer, camera, computer/camera, hiking, hiking/camera, etc. I wonder if I'd be better off with a camera phone with internet access....
05-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love my Domkes. The inserts are one of the biggest selling features for me. Nothing wiggles from one compartment to another because of all the ticky tacky velcro pieces. Have a large Tamrac that works that way. Drives me nuts. Once I set a bag up it pretty much stays that way. If I need something else I grab a different bag. Also love the fact that Domke has large compartments. The Little Bit Bigger Bag even holds the Pentax A400 horizontally in the back pocket. 1 K10D, 1 DS, and 6 lenses + A400 and fgz540 flash is easy as pie. Domke also has rings for the back pack harness. Have 5 Domke, 3 Tamrac, Olympus, and Pentax bags.
thanks
barondla
05-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But was your search thorough enough Steve?
did you check out Delsey? Delsey Camera Bags
I have had one of these for several years and a couple of overseas trips and its going strong.
Cheers
Grant
05-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote

Have you tried the Lowepro Dryzone Rover? It's waterproof. The camera compartments are well padded. Not too big, not too small, just right. I've got the Rover AW II, which isn't waterproof and I must admit it is my most used camera bag.
05-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Have you tried the Lowepro Dryzone Rover? It's waterproof. The camera compartments are well padded. Not too big, not too small, just right.
Too big for my purposes - particularly when I more often than not already have a pack on. I need something just big enough for a K10 w/17-70 attached, one other zoom, and a flash. Spare battery and a few small other items tucked into whatever nooks and crannies are left over.
05-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Ditto Delsey Gopix.....perfect holds everything configures easily Ideal.
05-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
DAP

Yeah - finding the perfect bag is a royal PITA. That is why when you find a bag that works for you - make sure you buy a spare. I can remember searching forever and finally stumbling across the Tenba metro press pak - awesome bag (like a more modern, and durable domke), unfortunately no more than 6 months after I puchased it, it was stolen (luckily I was only carrying my beater equipment in it at the time - no expensive stuff). As luck would have it, when I tried to order another one of the old Metro Press bags I discovered that they had been replaced by the newer digital (ie. larger and more padding) versions. Oh well - back to the hunt. BTW if anybody has an old metro press pak P839 that they are willing to get rid of let me know.
05-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ralphl Quote
Ditto Delsey Gopix.....perfect holds everything configures easily Ideal.
That Delsey 75 looks worth taking a second boo. One of the bigger wedge shaped designs was more what I was thinking of, however.