Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Confused Richard - (sound like me most of the time) - Go into a pharmacy (chemists over there I think) and you should find them. They are medical equipment for those with canes. Claire had both knees replaced and found the multi prong versions just would not hold as well as the single vicious versions. Claire got hers in the local pharmacy here in our town of under 4,000 inhabitants.

07-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Lowell, Wildlifephotog,

Thanks for the additional suggestions, i'm going to hold off, for now, on the dog corkscrew, but i've added 3 tent stakes to my camera bag, and some line to hang the heavier bag below the tripod - Lowell should be happy
of course, it's not my back that is carrying all the weight although If I take anything close to my full kit out in a photo backpack, I am looking at more tha 30 pounds.
QuoteQuote:

I'm shooting with the DA 300 which i'm discovering is an excellent landscape FL. thanks for the suggestion on lens vibration, not sure I need it yet, but more info.
I started looking into the long lens support to dampen out vibration on my celestron C90 (1000mm F11) telescope the additional length makes it really sensitive. If you want a test of vibration, while looking through the viewfinder, give the camera body a slight tap, nothing too hard of course, no worse than tapping someone on their shoulder to get thier arttention. See what vibration or shake you can observe through the viewfinder
QuoteQuote:
My wife says the photo is an 8 out of 10 and to print it already Any detail i need is there so i'm happy.

Phil
If your wife is happy, you should be too
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi again Albert

Just found these two links for anyone else interested:

Ice Pick for Canes and Crutches - MAF703610001

Aids for Daily Living - Adaptive Abilities

Best regards
Richard
Attached Images

Last edited by Confused; 07-13-2009 at 05:30 PM.
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoa, that looks deadly...

07-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi again Albert

Just found these two links for anyone else interested:

Ice Pick for Canes and Crutches - MAF703610001

Aids for Daily Living - Adaptive Abilities

Best regards
Richard
I can just imagine getting this through airport security
07-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ooh, now *those* look like handy spikes. Not much call for that sort of thing, where I am now, but I can recall a couple of instances....
07-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can just imagine getting this through airport security
They look deadly, but they are "medical equipment". I have no idea how they would be treated, but suspect that her titanium knees will set off the beepers long before the spikes will.

07-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
They look deadly, but they are "medical equipment". I have no idea how they would be treated, but suspect that her titanium knees will set off the beepers long before the spikes will.
One could check them in baggage, or disassemble them and remove them for the flight.

More importantly, do any of you actually think they would be useful. My thoughts are:

a. easier cleaning mud out of these things than the traditional retractable spike feet. When you get mud clogged up in the old kind, almost have to disassemble them to clean. These, a hosing off would do the trick.

b. much bigger spike, better holding in things like loose sand, etc.

c. i've got 3 genuine Manfrotto feet headed my way for about 30 plus dollars or these 3 swing up spikes for 27. looks like better functionality.

Phil
07-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
More importantly, do any of you actually think they would be useful.
I mostly use a strap to carry my tripod. I can see myself being poked with the spike extended or folded when the tripod is slung over my shoulder. That would be my only concern.

Thank you
Russell
07-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, i got the Manfrotto spiked feet.

Very well built, the threaded spike is stainless steel, about 3/8" inch in diameter, extends out from clamp, through the threaded round disc and about 1/2" from the lower face of the disc. Sharp point and would probably have max penetration into ground of about 3/8" due to leg angle.

The 3 feet and the screwdriver that comes with it is not light, about the weight of a lens. If i was going walking with it, probably leave the spikes at home, but out of a car, they are fine.

One plus of the feet, is that they raise the height of the tripod almost 2 inches, which i need. The shoulder of the tripod also provides a catch for ones shoe to drive the leg end into the ground.

Only problem, was i ordered the wrong part number, will have to send them back in exchange for the right part number. The right part number for me is 190spk2. The 190 should reflect the tripod number, whoops, i didn't know that.
07-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Hi Phil

I think these might have been the items you were after ?

MANFROTTO MN190SPK2 Spike Adaptors Steel CODE: 170823
Price: £24.99 *(including VAT at 15%)

Apparently the official specs say that these feet are designed to fit 19mm diameter leg sections, so these would probably fit the 18mm diam leg sections of my Giottos MTL 9351 tripod if I wound a tiny amount of black gaffa tape around them etc. BTW I phoned Giottos to see whether they'd produced a similar type of accessory yet, but unfortunately it would appear not thus far !

Best regards
Richard
Attached Images

07-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

my Giottos MTL 9351 tripod if I wound a tiny amount of black gaffa tape around them etc. BTW I phoned Giottos to see whether they'd produced a similar type of accessory yet, but unfortunately it would appear not thus far !
I think you are after the FP 1021.

07-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Hi Russell-Evans

Thanks for the useful info.....it just seems slightly odd that the U.K. distributors apparently don't seem to be aware about the existence of this particular accessory, although to be fair it says suitable for MT series versions but not MTL models !
Natually I haven't the faintest idea whether there is a concealed/hidden thread built into the base of each leg, but I'm obviously very reluctant to remove one of the existing rubber feet in order to find out, just in case I can't fix it back on again properly ! In any case, there would always be the remote possibility of the protective rubber foot getting knocked-off and lost by accident, which is why I still happen to prefer the Manfrotto solution.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 07-17-2009 at 04:05 PM.
07-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

although to be fair it says suitable for MT series versions but not MTL models !
Natually I haven't the faintest idea whether there is a concealed/hidden thread built into the base of each leg, but I'm obviously very reluctant to remove one of the existing rubber feet in order to find out, just in case I can't fix it back on again properly ! In any case, there would always be the remote possibility of the protective rubber foot getting knocked-off and lost by accident, which is why I still happen to prefer the Manfrotto solution.

If you look at the rubber foot replacements, FP1025, FP 1026, FT1027, you will note that it says replacements for MT/MTL/MG/MGL tripod series. From this I would gather that the tripods in those series would have replaceable feet. The documentation for the tripod would probably have exact information though.

The photo below seems to suggest the the original rubber feet are rubber caps over the screw mounts, bottom middle.

I would be afraid of losing the rubber boots too. The price here in the US isn't overly expensive, so I probably would buy a spare just to keep around. You can always switch back to the original rubber feet as well. My Induro comes with the like spikes but not the boot. They provide a tool bag with the spikes and you swap the rubber feet in and out with the spikes. I wouldn't mind the convenience of the booted spike, through.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-18-2009 at 02:02 AM.
07-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote

The photo below seems to suggest the the original rubber feet are rubber caps over the screw mounts, bottom middle.
That is the way the feet on my MT 9360 are made. They are a bit tough to pull off and I am concerned that with wear, they might start falling off!

Steve