Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
After a week in Manhattan, NY, it has become painfully obvious that slingbags, as cool and convenient as they are, are just not going to work for me and my back. I like the long slender profile of the sling and was thinking of getting aht Lowepro Flipside as a replacement, any suggestions or comments on that bag or others like it?
since my last post, i pulled out the slingshot out of storage and took a long hard look at it, watched the video on lowepro web site and it hit me. using the stabilizer strap is a must, before i shied away from the bag as i found the strap which was my biggest issue, rode my neck, and did not quite sit on my shoulder comfortablly. with the s/strap it pulls it away enough to be comfortable, and also took some of the weight off the shoulder.
i tried the tamrac velocity 8, but that one for sure has bigger issues.
the bag in no way fits likes it is advertised and in order to get it open , you practically have to undo the entire strap. did not see at first, but after getting that bag and actually using it , then looked back at their video, if you look hard enough at when the model is swinging the bag around, you can see him fighting with it, but at that point the video moves so fast, you can hardly notice it.
i like a slim design bag,
shoulder bags are great for acessability, but a total shoulder killer
backpacks - too combersome and takes too long to get to gear
hip packs look like an oversize fanny pack
hope this helps

Dave

07-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote

How can you say no to an apple and a Blackberry? +1 based on snack choices alone.
07-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
shoulder bags are great for acessability, but a total shoulder killer
Not if you travel light. Carry only the essentials.
Your photography will improve - I guarantee it!

Chris
07-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The problem with the Slingshot (I have the 200) is if you want to change the lens you have to practically take it off anyway. At that point you are really better off with a backpack. Using that side harness strap helps, but it does hurt you shoulder after awhile.

I've decided to try out the Flipside. I most shoot with fixed focal lengths and use a tripod a lot so that one likes the right one for me. You can get the 300 Flipside at Amazon for $79. It looks like it will hold a good bit of gear.

I will say this about the Kata. They do have a new sling bag called a DT 213. It doesn't hold alot of gear, but looks much more comfortable than the Slingshot. Kata has $15 rebate on it now so I think it runs about $49 at Adorama.

07-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not if you travel light. Carry only the essentials.
Your photography will improve - I guarantee it!

Chris
in my signature is all that i own . K20d, 16-50,50-135, 360flash
weight is under 10lbs
but i suffer with lower back pains if i stand too long or walk too long, so its always a fight between my shoulder and my lower back
just recently i was considering if something like the flipside or fastpack would help me out more,

Dave
07-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
Damn Brit

You know, I misread the title and was surprised at you Buddha. I also thought slingbacks probably weren't the most appropriate footwear for photography unless it was a formal function.
07-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
The problem with the Slingshot (I have the 200) is if you want to change the lens you have to practically take it off anyway. .

Rotate your dividers!

Thank you
Russell