Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up an early birthday present for myself...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Kirk Enterprises BH-3 Ball Head - Free Shipping - eBay (item 170357471431 end time Jul-12-09 17:56:44 PDT)

I was going to wait until at least next month to get my new ballhead, but I simply couldn't pass up this deal; with the Bing 8% cashback, my final price will be $165.59.

With the savings over the price of a new BH-3, I can afford to pick up a custom QR plate for the K20 instead of simply going with the universal plate that comes with the new ones.

Now it's time for me to put the old ballhead up for sale in the Marketplace.

Heather

07-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice job on pulling the plug ! I know you researched and looked for a long time. Enjoy !! And Happy (early) Birthday!
07-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! It's similar in size to the cheaper one I use. Rather like it.
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally got both it and the QR plate today and I mounted everything onto the tripod.

Droop problem solved!

Heather

(Now I just need to figure out what's wrong with the DS I used to take it--never mind the streaky pic.)

Attached Images

07-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
jem

Nice looking ballhead!

So how do you like the Kirk?
07-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Nice looking ballhead!

So how do you like the Kirk?
It's most definitely head and shoulders above the BM486RC2 that I had been using. I'll be taking it mounted to the monopod out tomorrow for the local Kelby Photowalk, so I'll get a better idea of how it works out in the field.

Heather
07-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats on a great find !

You inspired me to go ebay searching again, and look what I found, brand new Markins Emille being sold for $197 shipping included. The Markins web site list it for $269 plus shipping.

Here is the link.

Does anybody think this is not legit?

07-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Congrats on a great find !

You inspired me to go ebay searching again, and look what I found, brand new Markins Emille being sold for $197 shipping included. The Markins web site list it for $269 plus shipping.

Here is the link.

Does anybody think this is not legit?
As far as I know, they are legit... But, according to the Markins website FAQ, eBay ball-heads are not under warrantee through Markins. So probably gray-market...
07-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Song,
You might want to pay attention to this thread and see what happens before you hit the BIN button:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/66274-goint-take-plunge-ebay-q3.html

On the Kirk ballheads, Kirk does have a presence on Fleabay where they sell off new ballheads with small cosmetic flaws at a little bit of a discount over perfect ones. The price + shipping isn't a whole lot less than a perfect new one, but if you throw in the 8% Bing eBay discount, you'll be saving $20, making your grand total with shipping $240, as opposed to $265 + shipping. Here's a current listing for one, if you're interested:
KIRK ENTERPRISE BH-3 BALL HEAD - eBay (item 380139331667 end time Aug-13-09 06:25:00 PDT)

Also, it would be worth it to keep an eye out for used heads, regardless of which brand you're interested in. In my case, the seller had simply moved up to the BH-1 head and didn't have any further use for the BH-3, so I got a great deal. Again, if the seller offers the BIN option, you should be able to get the 8% Bing cashback deal.

Heather
07-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
On the Kirk ballheads, Kirk does have a presence on Fleabay where they sell off new ballheads with small cosmetic flaws at a little bit of a discount over perfect ones. The price + shipping isn't a whole lot less than a perfect new one, but if you throw in the 8% Bing eBay discount, you'll be saving $20, making your grand total with shipping $240, as opposed to $265 + shipping. Here's a current listing for one, if you're interested:
KIRK ENTERPRISE BH-3 BALL HEAD - eBay (item 380139331667 end time Aug-13-09 06:25:00 PDT)
Yes, any Kirk item on eBay available through eBay user 'kirkphoto333' is Jeffery Kirk of Kirk Enterprises. Sone nice deals too! I've bought at least a half-dosen of their quick release mounts & plates and have been tempted by the ball-head you just bought. Looking forward to your review!
07-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks Heather. The Bing discount only applies to BIN?
07-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Thanks Heather. The Bing discount only applies to BIN?
I'm afraid so. The way I see it, if the BIN price is a fair price to begin with and it's something that I really want, I don't have a problem using BIN to go ahead and get it, rather than risking the possibility of getting outbid at the last minute. The Bing cashback is just icing on top of the cake.

Heather
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Congrats! Good find and great head I am sure!