Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF200FG good for strobes?

I used to use AF360's as strobes, then sold them, now I am thinking of serisouly building another small studio setup, are the AF200's good enough or should I wrangle up another posse of AF360's?

07-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I would save up for an AF360.

- AF200 does not have variable output. It's either P-TTL/TTL or full manual output.

- AF200 can't be used as a wireless master nor slave (I know you didn't ask, but I think this is a severe limitation).
07-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll add more to SOldbear's answer.

When you said AF200 I am assuming that you mean the AF200FG . The AF200FG won't be good for strobe. For strobe, you want something with full manual control even if it is just 4 level like 1/2-1/8 power.

If you want a cheap option, the Pentax AF200T
Thanks Mike Cash for letting me know about this. At first I didn't think it was worth because of the lack of power but for about $20 its not that bad.
It has the same power as the newer AF200FG GN 66 at ISO 100/ft but it has 4 levels of manual control.

If you want something more powerful Nikon SB 24/25/26/28 are very popular units for strobiest because of there power, manual control and cable connections right on the flash itself.
07-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
If you want a cheap option, the Pentax AF200T
Thanks Mike Cash for letting me know about this. At first I didn't think it was worth because of the lack of power but for about $20 its not that bad.
You're very welcome.

For the ease and range of adjustments, the compact size, low price, flexibility, and Pentax dedicated compatibility they're just damned hard to beat. Definitely great for folks who are on a tight budget or who want to experiment with flash and not lay out big bucks up front before they know if that sort of shooting will appeal to them or not.

And at that price, one doesn't mind letting them lie about the place for extended periods between uses. Lay out big bucks for a flash unit you seldom use and the natural temptation is to sell it and apply the money toward something that gets used more often.