Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #16
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Honestly at that price, I think the Acratech is over priced, and it is a generic plate at that. You can buy a dedicated RRS L plate for less than US$150 a piece.
But that is the point. "Dedicated" in this case may not be desireable. I have the RRS L-plate and it sits in a box in storage because it is too dedicated.

07-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #17
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
See. if you do film darkroom, you must be careful about searching on 'Enlarger.'
I get enough of that in my spam folder.

By the way, I still have an old Bessler 23c - the blue version.
07-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
While it's the most expensive of the universal l-brackets, I've got my eye on this one:
Universal “L” Bracket*::*Photographic Accessories*::*Acratech
It looks like the easiest to use out of all of them and I figure that with it being universal, I won't need to buy another one,
The bulk of some of these makes me wonder if a camera rotator might be an easier solution?

Thank you
Russell
07-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
For anybody who is interested in the Acratech Universal L-bracket, I just got a reply to an email I sent them about availability.

According to Scott at Acratech:
QuoteQuote:
It looks like we should have them done within the next 2 weeks.
HTH,
Heather

07-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
I get enough of that in my spam folder.

By the way, I still have an old Bessler 23c - the blue version.

Classic. I have the 23CII, (Black, but one of a vintage that has the raised script on the bellhousing: it's nice that it looks classy, since my office doubles as the print darkroom. Lucked right into that on arrival here in town, actually: wasn't as lucky with what I'd thought would be my wet-side darkroom space. But, yeah, there was a funny moment while I was shopping. Sweetie's relatives were over, and there I was, simply ignoring everything that was not darkroom equipment, (but staring pretty intently at what was.) Sweetie's like, 'Err, what are you looking at?')

Anyway, I was wondering, actually, if Jem's setup is really as stable as can be when the camera is vertical. Does look a bit hang-ey.

I like the practicality of it, since for occasions when I get set up a little studio-like, it seems it'd be great for swapping digital and film cameras on and off, without buying too much custom stuff. I think I could just add some pinsto a regular plate and have something very nice for my old Mamiya. Fairly standard ones for the other film cameras, something for the K20, and be all good to go.
07-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #21

But that is the point. "Dedicated" in this case may not be desireable. I have the RRS L-plate and it sits in a box in storage because it is too dedicated.
That's interesting. I leave the RRS bracket permanently attached to the camera. The bracket doesn't add enough weight or bulk to be a nuisance, and by leaving it attached to the camera it makes using the tripod so much more convenient.

I use it with the Acratech ball head for work where precision framing is less critical ...

>>>>>>>>>

... and with a Manfrotto 410 geared head for pano and where more precision is needed. The geared head makes precise leveling in two planes so much easier.

Last edited by ChrisN; 07-18-2009 at 06:14 PM.
07-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't know what you mean by desirable but the whole point of a dedicated L-plate or camera plate is so that there are end protrusions or sculptured to match the base of a particular camera body. This is important to prevent the camera body twisting or moving under load, especially in a vertical orientation. Having a universal L-plate which has nothing to prevent the camera shifting when tightened is pretty much a waste of time and money imo. I use the RRS L-plate and it works securely and perfectly.

07-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just found a video that demonstrates how the Acratech Universal L-bracket is supposed to work. While a little bit bulkier than a dedicated bracket, it doesn't look too bad.

YouTube - Acratech L bracket

Heather
07-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I just found a video that demonstrates how the Acratech Universal L-bracket is supposed to work. While a little bit bulkier than a dedicated bracket, it doesn't look too bad.
Pretty interesting. I wish I had of know about this when I bought my bracket.

Thank you
Russell
07-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

This kind of L-brackets only work on Arcatech or similar right ?
(I have manfrotto tripod and head)
07-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

YouTube - Acratech L bracket
I just watched the video and the guy in it was just so enthusiastic and animated
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
From what I can tell from the video, yes, the L-brackets are only for systems with the Arca-swiss dovetail clamp design.
07-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If your Manfrotto head has the RC2 connection, then take a look at the Junior Elbow Bracket, which I believe does the same as the Arca Swiss-compatible L-brackets.

HTH,
Heather
07-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have 488 RC2 head
07-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have 488 RC2 head
It should work then. I looked at the customer reviews at B&H and one person commented that s/he'd used the elbow bracket with the 486RC2 head and your head has the same type of QR plate.

HTH,
Heather
07-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It should work then. I looked at the customer reviews at B&H and one person commented that s/he'd used the elbow bracket with the 486RC2 head and your head has the same type of QR plate.

HTH,
Heather
Thanks Heather