Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I can confirm this will work - I've used them together with a number of cameras, including a K10D with and without grip

07-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #32
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
While it's the most expensive of the universal l-brackets, I've got my eye on this one:
Universal “L” Bracket*::*Photographic Accessories*::*Acratech
It looks like the easiest to use out of all of them and I figure that with it being universal, I won't need to buy another one, so it would be worth the money to me.

Since Acratech says that it's a preorder, I may see about emailing them and asking them when it will actually be available.

Heather
Heather: The Acratech looks nice. But from the photo, it looks like it would require a dedicated (or universal) camera plate to lock into the L brackets clamp. That runs an additional 30-60 USD for any new upgrade in camera body.
07-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #33
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
That's interesting. I leave the RRS bracket permanently attached to the camera. The bracket doesn't add enough weight or bulk to be a nuisance, and by leaving it attached to the camera it makes using the tripod so much more convenient.
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I don't know what you mean by desirable but the whole point of a dedicated L-plate or camera plate is so that there are end protrusions or sculptured to match the base of a particular camera body. This is important to prevent the camera body twisting or moving under load, especially in a vertical orientation. Having a universal L-plate which has nothing to prevent the camera shifting when tightened is pretty much a waste of time and money imo. I use the RRS L-plate and it works securely and perfectly.
That is where we will have to disagree. As I mentioned, I have an RRS L-bracket and I simply did not like the feel of it permanently mounted to my camera despite the utility of having an instant portrait mount for my tripods. And when I added the battery grip, the RRS L-bracket really became a hindrance since it is “too dedicated” to work with the grip. Anyway, I replaced it with the universal L-plate which is just as sturdy as the RRS bracket - and no it doesn't shift or twist on the camera. It may not look as sexy but I care a lot more about functionality than looks. And for me it functions so much better in that it does everything the dedicated bracket did plus it works with any of my cameras and it is only on my cameras when I need it to be – 5 seconds on – 5 seconds off. Anyway, your mileage does vary from mine – I’ll stick with my way.

Last edited by jem; 07-26-2009 at 05:35 PM.
07-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Heather: The Acratech looks nice. But from the photo, it looks like it would require a dedicated (or universal) camera plate to lock into the L brackets clamp. That runs an additional 30-60 USD for any new upgrade in camera body.
You are correct--if you've got more than 1 camera, then each would need it's own QR plate, either dedicated or universal. Still, if you've got a tendency to hang on to bodies, as opposed to automatically selling them when you buy a newer one, it's still cheaper to simply go out and buy a new QR plate than a whole new L-bracket. This could also be a better solution if you've got gear in more than one type of mount (ie--Canikon and Pentax or DSLR and medium format) and you want to be able to use 1 L-bracket for everything. In most cases, you're shooting with only one body at a time, so there's no need to keep L-brackets on all of your bodies. Even if you do take more than one body out on a shoot, unless you're really in a hurry, it's not that big of a deal to switch the L-bracket over to another body.

Just my 2¢...

Heather

08-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I don't know what you mean by desirable but the whole point of a dedicated L-plate or camera plate is so that there are end protrusions or sculptured to match the base of a particular camera body. This is important to prevent the camera body twisting or moving under load, especially in a vertical orientation. Having a universal L-plate which has nothing to prevent the camera shifting when tightened is pretty much a waste of time and money imo. I use the RRS L-plate and it works securely and perfectly.
The universal L-Brackets are generally designed to work with a dedicated camera plate (just a bottom plate, not an L Bracket) and these have the appropriate anti-twisting flange. The combination works perfectly; I use an older RRS universal plate design with the standard camera plates.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
You are correct--if you've got more than 1 camera, then each would need it's own QR plate, either dedicated or universal. Still, if you've got a tendency to hang on to bodies, as opposed to automatically selling them when you buy a newer one, it's still cheaper to simply go out and buy a new QR plate than a whole new L-bracket. This could also be a better solution if you've got gear in more than one type of mount (ie--Canikon and Pentax or DSLR and medium format) and you want to be able to use 1 L-bracket for everything. In most cases, you're shooting with only one body at a time, so there's no need to keep L-brackets on all of your bodies. Even if you do take more than one body out on a shoot, unless you're really in a hurry, it's not that big of a deal to switch the L-bracket over to another body.

Just my 2¢...

Heather
I think this may be why RRS discontinued the universal L bracket that I have (which sucks, since I too prefer it to dedicated clamps; hope I don't break or lose mine!) - they figured out how much more $$ they could make from selling dedicated L Brackets for every new camera lol. Of course, maybe the demand for the universal plate dropped when they started coming out with the fancier dedicated L Brackets, who knows...
08-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

The issue with a universal L bracket that attaches with a QR clamp is what do you do with it when it is off the camera? It seems like a pretty awkward piece of metal to store in a camera bag.

Looking around the RSS site I noticed the CRD-Rail: Vertical rail w/ on-end clamp at $140,

and the MPR-192: 192mm Multi-purpose rail at $75.

Throw in a QR clamp and you would have a universal L-Bracket that can be broken apart for easier storage. Something like this.

Thank you
Russell
08-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
The issue with a universal L bracket that attaches with a QR clamp is what do you do with it when it is off the camera? It seems like a pretty awkward piece of metal to store in a camera bag.

Looking around the RSS site I noticed the CRD-Rail: Vertical rail w/ on-end clamp at $140,

and the MPR-192: 192mm Multi-purpose rail at $75.

Throw in a QR clamp and you would have a universal L-Bracket that can be broken apart for easier storage. Something like this.

Thank you
Russell
This setup is gonna cost a bomb and it isnt as elegant looking as the Arcatech Universal L imho.

08-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
This setup is gonna cost a bomb and it isnt as elegant looking as the Arcatech Universal L imho.
$140, $75 and $50 for a Kirk 1.75 inch QR clamp, for a total of $265, isn't too far off the $229.95 of the Arcatech. You could probably lower the cost by going with a KIRK ENTERPRISES 6" mounting plate for $40, or maybe an 8" mount plate at $54 instead of the $75 multi-purpose rail. That puts the cost in the ball park.

I agree it isn't as elegant, but it will be much easier to transport and the parts could be used apart to offer some other uses. It could work as a limited macro slide, or to correct parallax error for panoramas. You could use the QR clamp on a monopod or table top tripod when not in use for the L-bracket. You could also use the mount plate on a long lens when not needed for use in the L-Bracket. Using a Lego approach instead of a dedicated tool, could actually save you money.

Thank you
Russell
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
$140, $75 and $50 for a Kirk 1.75 inch QR clamp, for a total of $265, isn't too far off the $229.95 of the Arcatech. You could probably lower the cost by going with a KIRK ENTERPRISES 6" mounting plate for $40, or maybe an 8" mount plate at $54 instead of the $75 multi-purpose rail. That puts the cost in the ball park.

I agree it isn't as elegant, but it will be much easier to transport and the parts could be used apart to offer some other uses. It could work as a limited macro slide, or to correct parallax error for panoramas. You could use the QR clamp on a monopod or table top tripod when not in use for the L-bracket. You could also use the mount plate on a long lens when not needed for use in the L-Bracket. Using a Lego approach instead of a dedicated tool, could actually save you money.

Thank you
Russell
Nice breakdown of the cost - I was wrong on my part. But just wondering, will the clamp on the L-joint compromise rigidity?
08-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
Nice breakdown of the cost - I was wrong on my part. But just wondering, will the clamp on the L-joint compromise rigidity?

It is part of RSS camera rotation monstrosity. I wouldn't think RSS would under engineer the part.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-14-2009 at 01:35 PM.
08-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, this is a very interesting and helpful thread. I picked up a Acratech GP ball head after a lot of research - in particular due to its being able to be used as a panning head. I overspent a bit, so as to not need a leveling head to set the ball head on, so overall I saved. So, now for the last month or so, I have been looking for and considering an L bracket that would not break the bank and be as functional, without a lot of disassemble and reassembly of parts. With the Acratech ball head I am limited to the "Acra" mounting (which I knew, and was one of the selecting features, since they were widely supported).

I like the Acratech but as pointed out before, it uses a second mounting plate (that appears to come with the unit). I stretched on the head because of the added functionality, but I am currently thinking that as much as I like Acratech, the price is beyond the budget. Their design essentially reuses their available parts, which adds to both the price and weight.

Again I like the RRS, the price certainly is better than the Acratech plate, and it does not require using a second plate for the camera mount. It should work with the Acratech head. The L bracket essentially replaces the mounting plate attached to the camera, so that part could go to my backup camera.

The Kirk L plate is a tad less than the one from RRS, but I am left wondering if I need a spacer that is an option to allow the release cable to be used. If so the price goes up even more than the RRS plate, and the RRS plate appears to be both cheaper and more functional.

Of the folks who are using the RRS or Kirk plates, are there any restrictions on threading the wired release cable (in particular on the K20)? How necessary is the spacer for the Kirk plate?

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=BK20D-L&eq=BK20DL-001&Tp=
Kirk Enterprises : L-bracket for the Pentax K20D.
Pentax Cable Switch CS-205 - camera remote control Remote Control reviews - CNET Reviews

I am still sorting through the rest of the suggestions here - decisions, decisions, decisions.....

Last edited by interested_observer; 08-19-2009 at 07:20 AM.
08-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The Kirk L plate is a tad less than the one from RRS, but I am left wondering if I need a spacer that is an option to allow the release cable to be used.
I have the Kirk. There is enough plate to allow for a cable release, but not for the USB connection for tethered shooting, by offsetting the plate in the QR mount enough to let the cable through. Its a kluge, but it works.

There is also enough metal in the L-bracket that a bit could be removed with a rat tail file to allow the release cable to be out of the way so that the entire plate could be used.

If I had it to do over, I would spend the money on the RRS L-bracket. My thought at the time was that I would be unlikely to have an Allen wrench to adjust the L-bracket on the camera, and that the sliding mount would be less secure than the Kirk's mount hole.

The one thing you are missing in your analysis is that a lot of the reason for going with the universal is for compatibility with the grip and possibly future body purchases as we now know Pentax is moving beyond the K10/20D body style.

If I had it to do over again, I would look a lot closer at the universal options that are now available. The RRS flash bracket for the L-bracket is a pretty nice idea, so maybe I wouldn't be quite so sure.

Thank you
Russell
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #43

How about the RRS Universal?

Bringing a somewhat older thread back to life here . . . but it's new to me!

Unless I missed it no-one mentioned the RRS Universal plate MC-L:

Really Right Stuff - MC-L: Universal L Plate

It seems to have the advantage of not requiring a camera specific plate in addition to the L bracket which would make it less expensive and more universal than the Kirk approach.

Note too the the RRS has the ridge at the back. That makes more sense to me as camera bodies are more likely to be straight on that edge than the subtle curves designed into the fronts.

Also, the Kirk has a single parallel channel and the RRS has multiple perpendicular ones which would probably be more secure.

Anyone using the RRS care to comment on it?

TIA!/Scottax1

Last edited by scottax1; 04-07-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: #$%^ spelling
03-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again, keeping this thread alive....

Acratech told me via email a month or so ago that they also had an extended univesal L-bracket, big enough for a camera+grip. They said that they would have it up on their website once priced, but since then nothing has happened and I have heard nothing from them. No doubt, though, that it would cost more than the $230 for the non-extended bracket.

in the meanwhile, I've come across a Mestos universal L-bracket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270535680624&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anybody know anything about what appears to be a Korean brand?? It costs just slightly less than a comparable Kirk.

Last edited by sholtzma; 03-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
03-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went ahead and got the Mestos universal L-bracket. Looks good so far. I'll put it through its paces, take some photos, and give an informal review later....