Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
m42 to K adapters - what's best *after* Pentax?

Hi, folks:

I was able to land a genuine Pentax M42 to Screwmount adapter on Ebay for just about what Pentax wanted if they had it in stock. Now, I'd like to get a spare to have as a backup without going through another Ebay sniping match. Since the OEM part seems to have dried up in the retail channels, I'm forced to consider an after market piece.

I have read the horror stories on the forum about using the "wrong" after market adapter... has anyone used the one listed below?

General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter

I've seen the same one listed with a couple of other Ebayers that swear they won't impact infinity... they are inscribed with "M42 PENTAX K/M JAPAN" and they sometimes include a removal tool. Can anyone "bless" this particular adapter? Does anyone know of another, better proven product?

Thanks in advance for your opinons...

germar

05-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I use one of the models off eBay that swears it won't impact infinity.....and guess what.....it doesn't impact infinity. All you have to be careful of is that there is no flange. It should sit down inside the lens mount, fluch with the face of the camera, much as a manhole cover sits in a manhole.
05-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #3
Forum Member

I have one like the General brand at B&H and they do not affect the infinity focus as it does sit down into the mount like the Pentax one.

Two things to note,

1. The ones that affect infinity focus have a flange that reaches out to the lens lock pin - at least twice as wide as the Pentax/General flange.

2. Be prepared for a hard time getting it to release the first time with the two pronged key this type use - I broke out in a cold sweat when I could not get the dam thing out of my lovely new K10D . Have a good fiddle with the mount and key OFF the camera and remember that you actually have to part withdraw the key to clear the camera bayonet flange as you rotate the adaptor with the key.

Rod
05-09-2007, 03:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RodConn Quote
2. Be prepared for a hard time getting it to release the first time with the two pronged key this type use - I broke out in a cold sweat when I could not get the dam thing out of my lovely new K10D . Have a good fiddle with the mount and key OFF the camera and remember that you actually have to part withdraw the key to clear the camera bayonet flange as you rotate the adaptor with the key.

Rod
That happened to me as well. It was damn hard to take the thing off, but eventually it came out. After a couple more uses, the little flexible metal tab broke on mine. It still works though.

05-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

i've got a Kalt from B&H and it works fine. i've also got 2 pentax adapters and all i use to get them off is a fingernail. all focus to infinity.
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have several adaptors from Hong Kong. One is useless as it has the wide flange. The other is OK.
I also have the Pentax K adaptor from Pentax and it is very good and well worth the money.
I purchased it from Pentax Canada in Mississauga.
You should specify a KA or KAF adaptor for the ultimate if you can find one.

Mickey
05-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

i've never heard of a M42-KA or a KFA adapter. how could it work. maybe you're thinking of tamron's adaptall mounts.

05-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The BH "General Brand" = "Bower"

As a follow up to my original start to the thread, I did get one of the "General Brand" adapters from BH Photo. It is labeled "Bower" as a brand name and comes in a small gray box.

As all of you say, it goes on okay but is a bear to get off. I too had the issue of not being able to unscrew it completely with the provided key until I lifted the tool out of the cutout slightly so I could clear the flange. I wonder why they couldn't come up with a tool free adapter like Pentax did!

But infinity focus works fine and I'd even say this aftermarket piece seems even more sturdy than the Pentax part. I wish the darn thing wasn't so hard to get off ... lose the provided removal key and it's going to take some time to put your k mount lenses back to work.

Thanks for all the information, folks!

germar
05-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

So I'm a little confused. If I want a screw mount adapater that is easy to get off, which brand should I get? Pentax? Are there others?

I baby my camera and would probably cry if I couldn't get my adapter off easily.
05-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
r So I'm a little confused. If I want a screw mount adapater that is easy to get off, which brand should I get? Pentax? Are there others?
Me too!

I just picked up a 85MM 1.9 lens from Ebay and now need an adapter.

I'm not really understanding the difference between the ones that have infinity focusing problems and those that don't?
05-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume that the ones that don't focus to infinity are thicker and have an extra wide "plate" (the flange) along one face.

The ones that do focus to infinity look very similar to the Pentax adapter, which is just a small ring metal ring.

I grabbed two images off eBay. The first image on the left shows a regular third-party adapter. The top image shows the adapter with the removal tool. The bottom image shows the back of the adapter. I actually don't own the second type on the right, but I assume that's the flange kind of adapter that everyone says to avoid.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G2  Photo 
05-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
So I'm a little confused. If I want a screw mount adapater that is easy to get off, which brand should I get? Pentax? Are there others?

I baby my camera and would probably cry if I couldn't get my adapter off easily.
The genuine Pentax part comes off very easily.... either a ball point pen or a finger nail can be used to release a small latch and the adapter will turn with fingertip pressure.

The "Bower" or "General brand" as pictured above requires a tool to release from the lens mount, it's just too tight to turn by hand. It is easy to get off with the provided key once you get the hang of it. As I said before, the Bower brand is very sturdy once in place and you could hang a really heavy lens off of it with full confidence.

Both adapters seem well manufactured.

If you've got a huge collection of screw mounts and you're going to leave the adapter in place for the entire day, going with the Bower is fine and will save you some money. It's about 15 bucks plus shipping.

If you are going to be swapping out the adapter often and want something you can remove without tools, then find a Pentax. Problem is that you can't find them in stores and even Pentax is out of stock. Plan on getting in a bidding war on e-bay if you have to have one.
05-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Thanks for all the information.
05-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Roy,

Try: Other brands with K-mount

and Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ans http://wwwbdimitrov.de/kmp/

Whew! I sure hope I got those right. It's hard with 2 fingers.

Mickey
06-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #15

I got a Kalt from B&H as well...it focuses to infinity. I simply removed the screw and tab from the adapter to keep it from getting stuck.