Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best Quick Release Plate for K20D

Howdy,

I recently purchased a Markins Q3, and need to pick up a quick release plate for my K20D. Markins sells their own, but the clamp is a standard Arca type, and I have the option of using a Really Right Stuff plate, or annother make.

These plates are expensive ($50 or so), so I want to give the decision the right attention. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best plate for the money?

Thanks!

07-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Spend another $70 and get an L bracket. The RRS L-bracket is prettier, but the Kirk is cheaper.

Thank you
Russell
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Spend another $70 and get an L bracket. The RRS L-bracket is prettier, but the Kirk is cheaper.

Thank you
Russell
You must have no interest in the longevity of my marriage.

Ok, I see the advantage of the two positions with the bracket. How much better is the performance than simply tilting the ball head 90 degrees (please excuse the noob question)?

Thank you for your help with this.

-David
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
Ok, I see the advantage of the two positions with the bracket. How much better is the performance than simply tilting the ball head 90 degrees (please excuse the noob question)?
For portrait shots, you will have much more flexibility in positioning with an L-bracket. Once in the drop-slot, a ball head basically has constrained tilt and panning only with the panning base of the Q3. When "upright" you can move the ball very freely and your camera is always in portrait orientation.

L-brackets are nice, but if you rarely shoot in portrait then you could skip it and not miss it much. I second the Kirk recommendation, and if you have the grip for the K20D, then you're in luck as Kirk has Arca plates (non-L bracket) for them on sale for $30.

-Mark

07-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just got the Acratech 2138 from Adorama for $39.95 shipped. Since I just got it today and my new (to me) Kirk BH-3 ballhead isn't supposed to get there tomorrow, I can't say how well it works in real life. I just mounted the plate onto my K20 and tightened it with the allen wrench that came with it, and it's a pretty solid fit. It and the new ballhead will get their first use on top of my monopod when I go out for the Kelby Photowalk on Saturday afternoon.

I've been pondering getting an L-bracket myself; here is a thread that I started on universal L-brackets: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/66603-universal-l-brackets.html

Of course, I've looked at the custom Kirk and RRS brackets as well. If you're planning on using a shutter release like I do, you'll need to find out whether or not the L-bracket will accomodate the release when you've got the camera mounted vertically. So far, the only one that I know for sure that can do it is the Kirk L-bracket, but even then, you'll need to spend $60 more to get the spacer block that will let you do this.
Kirk Enterprises : L-bracket for the Pentax K20D.

HTH,
Heather
07-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
jem

I use a Camdapter Standard Arca Neoprene adapter. I selected it because it works well with a hand-strap style grip. It is standard Arca and works with my RRS, Kirk and Wimberley QR mounts. Here are some pics with it installed.
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The Feisol QR plates seem very good, and are quite reasonably priced. They are really grabby and so far I've had no problems with the camera twisting on the plate.

07-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

I've been pondering getting an L-bracket myself; here is a thread that I started on universal L-brackets: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/66603-universal-l-brackets.html

Of course, I've looked at the custom Kirk and RRS brackets as well. If you're planning on using a shutter release like I do, you'll need to find out whether or not the L-bracket will accomodate the release when you've got the camera mounted vertically.
I'm glad you started the other thread; I had much the same question, and found the info useful.

I don't think the cable release issue will matter much to me; I have an IR release, which should be fine for the bit of macro work I would need a remote for.

I was going to opt for the plate, thinking I would save a few bucks, but while I was typing this, I discussed the issue with my spouse and she thinks the bracket is the best option (go figure; I thought she would be the stingy one).

Soooo I think I'm on my way to purchasing the Kirk bracket-- it actually weighs 4oz less than the RRS! Now I only have one more piece to go: the tripod. I have a heavy, old canon tripod that I can use around the house, but no way to I want to go hiking with it. I was sweating over spending more than $200 for the tripod, but the freakin' bracket costs $130-- guess I should readjust my expectations.

Thank you all for the advice and recommendations!

-David
07-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
If you're planning on using a shutter release like I do, you'll need to find out whether or not the L-bracket will accomodate the release when you've got the camera mounted vertically. So far, the only one that I know for sure that can do it is the Kirk L-bracket, but even then, you'll need to spend $60 more to get the spacer block that will let you do this.
The RRS K20 L bracket has the ability to use the cable release while the camera is mounted vertically. The screw that secures the camera to the bracket is on a track, and you can slide the camera over to allow space for having the door open and a remote cable on it. The bracket has two center line indicators on it - one that shows the center of the lens when the bracket is mounted normally and one that shows the center of the lens when the bracket has been moved to accommodate the cable release. I don't have a picture of the camera mounted in that configuration, but here's one showing the two center line indicators, showing how much off-set you have. There's no requirement to buy a spacer or anything else.

07-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
I use a Camdapter Standard Arca Neoprene adapter. I selected it because it works well with a hand-strap style grip. It is standard Arca and works with my RRS, Kirk and Wimberley QR mounts. Here are some pics with it installed.
Now you've done it. I'm starting to contemplate a hand strap on one of those, with a regular strap to hang the camera vertically by the other lugs.
07-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Now you've done it. I'm starting to contemplate a hand strap on one of those, with a regular strap to hang the camera vertically by the other lugs.
On eBay there are a ton of hand straps available from HK or China based sellers that go for less than US$10. Cheap and good and it works fine. I have one attached to my RRS L-plate.
07-17-2009, 05:03 AM   #12
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
On eBay there are a ton of hand straps available from HK or China based sellers that go for less than US$10. Cheap and good and it works fine. I have one attached to my RRS L-plate.
But they don't have "PENTAX" embossed in the leather...
07-17-2009, 05:05 AM   #13
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I really like the handgrip setup. The older I get, the more problems I have with my neck so anything I can get off it makes me happier.
07-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
The RRS K20 L bracket has the ability to use the cable release while the camera is mounted vertically. The screw that secures the camera to the bracket is on a track, and you can slide the camera over to allow space for having the door open and a remote cable on it. The bracket has two center line indicators on it - one that shows the center of the lens when the bracket is mounted normally and one that shows the center of the lens when the bracket has been moved to accommodate the cable release. I don't have a picture of the camera mounted in that configuration, but here's one showing the two center line indicators, showing how much off-set you have. There's no requirement to buy a spacer or anything else.

Great addition to the conversation-- now I am thinking I will go with RRS. If I'm going to dish out the funds for a bracket, I want it to cover for the potential of a cord release, too.
07-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
I really like the handgrip setup. The older I get, the more problems I have with my neck so anything I can get off it makes me happier.
Hee, the older I get, the more problems I have changing my habits.

Hand straps are one of those things I keep thinking about and putting off. I think my default plan would be to try and get both a hand strap and the regular one on there. I'm not sure how I'd go about it: maybe I could use an Optech 'loop' connector for that side of the neck strap, and squeeze it in alongside the hand strap. On a bit of reflection I figured out that using both sides of a baseplate could make it too much of a pain to slide the QR on.