Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Hi,

Does anyone has experience with anti-theft neck strap Safepac Carrysafe 100?
http://www.pac-safe.com/...www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=16

I have some other products fro Safepac and they are great.

Do you know any other manufacturers producing similar accessories?
this thread garnered much attention, but no reviews! here is mine:

I have had the strap since for a couple years now, got it around the time of my k10d. I wasnt in search of anything of an anti-theft nature, but rather, being alittle larger than average, a strap i could wear bandolier style. searched high and low, and almost settled on the upstrap system/bandolier strap.

I stumbled upon the pacsafe on, of all places, rei's website (may have read about it somewhere else, cant recall). it was in stock at the local store, and lengthens to (i think) 60 inches. not that i need ALL 60, but try and find a strap that long...get back to me here if you can find anything close (and under $20!). I had to try it out.

Being a strap that has a wire underpinning, it kind of, well, curls. The good thing is though, it doesnt retain any sort of structure or bending. I can throw it in my pack however I want, and it will stretch out just fine on next use. While the strap appears on the thin side (3/4 of an inch or so), it has a shoulder pad that stays in place very well, and camera weight hasnt bothered me with any lens combination (including my recently acquired 50-135).

While the actual straps that attach directly to the camera are only woven nylon, they have held up well and once in place have never slipped - i have never had to adjust them or tighten them. On the anti-theft side, I never bought it for that purpose. although the nylon strapping at the camera attachment points appear to be a weak point, there are two neoprene covers that slide over the bottoms and cover up the nylon portion, and sort of hide that part. The added benefit of the small neoprene covers is that the strap is more rigid and keeps it from getting in the way of your hands for the most part (though sometimes the strap itself may curl awkwardly and get in the way).

All in all, I have had it for a good two years and think it is a very nice strap. the strap itself is smooth, and makes it perfect for bandlier style wearing of the camera, as it doesnt catch on your clothing. the pacsafe strap is probably one of the few things in my kit that hasnt changed!

07-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's another approach to not having your stuff stolen.

My LX is almost that ugly. (c:
07-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

So much for the helpful forum days

Seems lately everything has turned into a joke around here. The OP asked a sincere question. I've seen two in all 13 that actually help answer the question. Off topic is fine, but take it to the off topic forum. Some of us are actually interested in learning. And no, barbed wire and C4 are not options.
07-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Don't discount the bass string. Old photojournalist's trick.

07-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Seems lately everything has turned into a joke around here. The OP asked a sincere question. I've seen two in all 13 that actually help answer the question. Off topic is fine, but take it to the off topic forum. Some of us are actually interested in learning. And no, barbed wire and C4 are not options.
If you want to bring it up in a strict sense, no one has posted with actual experience using the device in question or similar device including your post and mine. However, the link in the OP is now dead. Furthermore, if there hadn't been activity in this thread it would have sank to the bottom of the forum.

Last edited by Blue; 07-25-2009 at 02:17 PM.
07-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If you want to bring it up in a strict sense, no one has posted with actual experience using the device in question or similar device including your post and mine. However, the link it the OP is now dead. Furthermore, if there hadn't been activity in this thread it would have sank to the bottom of the forum.
i did post a review; however it is a rather obscure subject (certainly a valid question at the same time), and photographers in general seem to pipe up when the subjects of security arise. so, the off topic tangent of this thread isnt exactly unexpected either.
07-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

since you dont like the idea of using C4 to get rid of bandits, even though i think when its going off you would get two things
1- the world one be rid of one less nusence
2- a great photo opportunity
On a serious note, i dont like nor use neck straps, i use a cam adaptor hand strap, this gives me a sence of security, in that the camera wont leave my hand easily, in dropping nor being grabbed. when adjusted properly, it give the camera body a good grasp

Dave

07-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

What made you think that my last replay wasn't serious? Lighthearted perhaps, but I have tinkered with the idea of roughing up mu LX further than it is to #1, make it more theft-resistant, and #2 just because it wouldn't hurt the value much more.

It's all about options. If everyone ALWAYS answered every question within the strictest parameters of that question, we would learn far less here than we do (and life would be very very dull).
07-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
since you dont like the idea of using C4 to get rid of bandits, even though i think when its going off you would get two things
1- the world one be rid of one less nusence
2- a great photo opportunity
On a serious note, i dont like nor use neck straps, i use a cam adaptor hand strap, this gives me a sence of security, in that the camera wont leave my hand easily, in dropping nor being grabbed. when adjusted properly, it give the camera body a good grasp

Dave
I have a leather hand strap as well. to be quite honest, when my camera is around my neck, it is either in front of my face, or when not in use i typically have one hand on the grip, perhaps subconsciously giving it a rest from having to lug a 5lb camera! When shooting, I often find the camera strap off me (deliberately), as any strap feels cumbersome to me. i have to admit, after almost dropping my k20d/grip and 12-24 into a rushing river a couple of weeks ago (it took a 2 foot drop, dampened by my leg and foot, no damage! though i practically kicked it to its watery grave - were talking 20ft drop to rapids here), the camera strap has been held alittle more tightly and kept on alot more since then...
07-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I have a leather hand strap as well. to be quite honest, when my camera is around my neck, it is either in front of my face, or when not in use i typically have one hand on the grip, perhaps subconsciously giving it a rest from having to lug a 5lb camera! When shooting, I often find the camera strap off me (deliberately), as any strap feels cumbersome to me. i have to admit, after almost dropping my k20d/grip and 12-24 into a rushing river a couple of weeks ago (it took a 2 foot drop, dampened by my leg and foot, no damage! though i practically kicked it to its watery grave - were talking 20ft drop to rapids here), the camera strap has been held alittle more tightly and kept on alot more since then...
your story gives me chills on why i should start to like neck straps

Dave
07-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

your story gives me chills on why i should start to like neck straps

Dave
It primarily happened as I was switching between the k20d and the panasonic L1. I had set the L1 down and taken some wide shots on my tripod (used multi exposure to get some flowing water shots, love that feature!). I wanted to take some tele shots of the rocks/rapids at this point. I had taken the k20d off the tripod, set it down and picked up the L1. As both of the cameras had their straps on, when I was turning the K20d strap caught up in something, and the camera followed, go figure!

The camera rolled down my leg (which I stuck out, in retrospect making a kicking motion towards the river was not a good idea). Lucky again, it came to rest about a foot from the edge of the rocks (like I said, 15-20ft drop from where I was, not a huge river, but it would've been gone). The thing that came closest to being lost was the lens cap. It came to rest in some grass protruding from beyond the edge! I think time stopped for a few seconds. You have to stop and take a breath when you just about threw $1200+ into a river; that is alot of goods going to waste

So, it was the straps fault, you've no need to worry, haha.
07-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
It primarily happened as I was switching between the k20d and the panasonic L1. I had set the L1 down and taken some wide shots on my tripod (used multi exposure to get some flowing water shots, love that feature!). I wanted to take some tele shots of the rocks/rapids at this point. I had taken the k20d off the tripod, set it down and picked up the L1. As both of the cameras had their straps on, when I was turning the K20d strap caught up in something, and the camera followed, go figure!

The camera rolled down my leg (which I stuck out, in retrospect making a kicking motion towards the river was not a good idea). Lucky again, it came to rest about a foot from the edge of the rocks (like I said, 15-20ft drop from where I was, not a huge river, but it would've been gone). The thing that came closest to being lost was the lens cap. It came to rest in some grass protruding from beyond the edge! I think time stopped for a few seconds. You have to stop and take a breath when you just about threw $1200+ into a river; that is alot of goods going to waste

So, it was the straps fault, you've no need to worry, haha.
up date
just reattached the strap to the camera
but i also left on the hand strap,
i read your stories and reminised on the past near almost disasters

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; 07-26-2009 at 12:15 PM.
07-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #28

what if the thief has an anti-theft cutting knife? then i guess youre screwed....

(i hope that was helpful)
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
what if the thief has an anti-theft cutting knife? then i guess youre screwed....

(i hope that was helpful)
actually you would be screwed when the theif realises he cannot cut thru the strap and decides to cut thru you

Dave
07-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #30
Banned

actually you would be screwed when the theif realises he cannot cut thru the strap and decides to cut thru you

Dave
nobody in their right mind, even a thief is going to commit murder for a camera.