Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

"Opinions and Comments" motor drives

I'm looking to buy a motor drive for my "Super Program". From looking around at different sites including this as well as Pentaximaging etc. I am thinking the "Motor Drive A System", it seems to be a more robust, fast system than the ME II which is listed in the camera manual as an optional winding system. Does anyone here have any experience, preferences, warnings etc.

05-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #2

I have an 'A' drive for my Super Programs and borrowed a friends ME II system for my second Super Program once. I have never had a problem with my A drive, nor did I with the other drive that one time, but I did/do prefer the A drive. It certainly is not as sleek as todays offerings for grips but it does the job, and like todays grips it does give you something to hold onto. I wouldn't consider the ME II if I were looking to buy one.
05-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

I just got done purchasing an "A" drive system, new (in the box, original styrofoam, manuals etc) but never used.
05-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #4

Well that must be an old piece of new gear you got there. If you can put your Super Program to regular use you won't regret getting the drive. I sure put my to good use when it was on my primary camera, and even after it became my secondary, and distant secondary system. But deep down, I had Nikon envy at their frame rate, but there was also no way I could afford a comparable Nikon system to what I had put into my Pentax system.

05-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I received my in the box, in the bag (with original silica gel packet) A drive system via prority mail. It still has the product registration card in the box (I wonder if I should fill it out and send it in!). I loaded it up (8AA cells) and attached it to my camera, and it works like a champ. I haven't shot in the "H" or "L" (high, low frame rates = 3.5 or 2 frames/sec.) modes yet only "S" (single shot), but I can already see the advantage. I never held the camera to my eye when advancing the film, but I can now snap a shot, and start focusing for the next immediately. Great for taking birds etc. when you always need to be ready to snap a picture. I know I've only touched the surface, I'll be going through film at a faster rate than before I guess, but if it means getting the picture that used to get away, it is worth it.
05-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #6

Most of the time I left mine on H (when turned on) and for single shots I just released the trigger pressure after the shutter fired.