Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Field Accessories section?
yes, as a matter of fact there has been some discussion about this very strap over the last week:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/66884-anti-theft-neck-straps.html

I have had it for several years, and it has held up great. It stays out of the way, slides easily across clothing and the shoulder pad is sufficient (and stays in place well, as previously noted). I can carry around the k20d/grip and 50-135 all day no problem. in fact, i find it strong enough to actually rest my hand over on top of the grip - i wear this combo with the grip facing out, sort of upside down if that makes sense - the strap is that long (that is a heavy camera/lens combo!).

Although the connectors are not wired, i have never had them come remotely loose, and they can easily be concealed by the neoprene covers mentioned earlier. all in all, a great strap. I too stumbled upon it looking for a strap to wear bandolier style, and for that you wont find much better, especially considering the price.

07-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

the last strap i bought was the OP tech pro loop strap
looked great and read some good reviews on it, but when i got it
- I dont trust the look of the quick connectors, has an inferior look to it
- the loop end, though its very easy to hook up onto camera lugs, is very thin and looks like it wont take too much to snap it
- at full adjustment, it is still very short
- the neck pad area is the biggest and bulkiest thing i have ever seen
- actually the only good thing i could have found with this system, was the strap area, it has a bungie cord feeling, which would have served very well for shock absorbtion
- the bad part is that it took almost 3 months to reach me after i ordered it, by that time the return policy was way over, so now it is in a draw some where around this house , with all the other BS acessories that i have obtained over the years
but then again say what, i do for some reason, still like this strap, not for the anti theft design. ( there is no such thing ) but for the added reinforced wire in it , i will tend to believe with this design, i would have a better piece of mind that my camera is that more less likely to hit the floor from a defect in a strap.
i have read a review where this guy said he did not like this strap cause a part of the stiching was coming undone. i mean really , get serious, has this guy ever heard of needle and thread
and for my 2 cents, the real snatch and grab thieves are the big manufactures like, Pentax, Nikon, Canon etc. who deliberately bring out fine expensive cameras and then box them with the cheepest, and most uncomfortable straps, and to top it off they deliberately print they logo on the side with thread that is visable up to 1/2 a mile away in dense fog, to now make you a target, thereby getting mugged, and now have to go and purchase the camera all over again

AND THATS THE UGLY TRUTH

Dave

Last edited by dafiryde; 07-27-2009 at 10:00 PM.
07-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, well, you know you can get more conventional connectors for those Optech straps? (I haven't had any worried about the snaps holding, but I don't particularly care for the loop idea, myself, preferring the regular sort, at least if there are slots. I don't think I've heard of the loops ever breaking, though. The conventional flat kinds of connectors are actually quite long, as well: I've had to trim mine, and I wear my cameras relatively low compared to some.)
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am thinking of buying a new strap for myself. I really like to wear a strap over my shoulder across my neck kind of like the Rapid R strap. But the Rapid R strap is quite expensive since you have to buy all these upgrade accessories for it to replace its flaws.
YouTube - BlackRapid Rapid R-Strap

I am looking at the CarrySafe 100 that the OP just bought, I am really liking this strap and think I could use it for shoulder-carrying. Anybody else have any suggestions?

EDIT: This one doesn't look too bad either and it's fairly cheap. Anybody ever tried this? http://www.amazon.com/37012-Strap-Camera-Equipment-Black/dp/B00007E816/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

07-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LeDave,
I just got a Seatbelt Camera Strap from Photojojo and it's great for across the shoulder carry. Easy to adjust strap that can go as long or short as you want. I did a mini-review of it in this thread.
07-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
LeDave,
I just got a Seatbelt Camera Strap from Photojojo and it's great for across the shoulder carry. Easy to adjust strap that can go as long or short as you want. I did a mini-review of it in this thread.
That junk only adjusts to 40" that's at least 20" short of what we're talking about.
07-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I am thinking of buying a new strap for myself. I really like to wear a strap over my shoulder across my neck kind of like the Rapid R strap. But the Rapid R strap is quite expensive since you have to buy all these upgrade accessories for it to replace its flaws.
YouTube - BlackRapid Rapid R-Strap

I am looking at the CarrySafe 100 that the OP just bought, I am really liking this strap and think I could use it for shoulder-carrying. Anybody else have any suggestions?

EDIT: This one doesn't look too bad either and it's fairly cheap. Anybody ever tried this? Amazon.com: OP/TECH 37012 Pro Loop Strap for Camera Equipment (Black): Electronics
There are very few choices for an across the body strap. The upstrap is GREAT. I'm giving the OP's strap a chance too as it is even longer.

07-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
I use an Up strap myself. A stolen camera can be replaced; a broken neck or getting dragged along the pavement by a slash-proof wire-embedded camera strap is not such a good outcome.
WTF? It's a highly improbable outcome since there is no way that the spring clips would hold out, unless you are 8 yrs old....

live in fear of the unknown and miss out on life...

I jut got mine today, it's is exactly what I was looking for with one exception, I wish the strap was wider, it is about 3/4-1" wide. I would prefer a 2-3 inch width for comfort around my chest, not a deal breaker though.

I really like how the shoulder pad stays in place when I swing the camera into a shooting position from around my back. It will provide secure and comfortable stowage and them swing right into position without having to futz with the shoulder pad.

Thanks Lavascript for the great recommendation!
08-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
WTF? It's a highly improbable outcome since there is no way that the spring clips would hold out, unless you are 8 yrs old....

live in fear of the unknown and miss out on life...

I jut got mine today, it's is exactly what I was looking for with one exception, I wish the strap was wider, it is about 3/4-1" wide. I would prefer a 2-3 inch width for comfort around my chest, not a deal breaker though.

I really like how the shoulder pad stays in place when I swing the camera into a shooting position from around my back. It will provide secure and comfortable stowage and them swing right into position without having to futz with the shoulder pad.

Thanks Lavascript for the great recommendation!
Sounds like you are enjoying this strap as much as I have for the last few years. I think it is great, retains its shape without getting in your way and doesnt easily catch on your clothes. I love carrying my camera bandolier style, and think this is at the top, if not the best options out there.
08-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm well I decided I should get a Pacsafe 100, thanks MacGirl for the recommendation but that style isn't my taste.
08-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #26
Forum Member

I recieved mine today and I'm disapointed. It's not even close to as long as the upstrap, despite being advertised as longer. It is made of cheap plastics and other than the main, wire-reinforced strap, it's rather un-astonishing. I'll stick to my upstrap.
08-03-2009, 09:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TWoK Quote
I recieved mine today and I'm disapointed. It's not even close to as long as the upstrap, despite being advertised as longer. It is made of cheap plastics and other than the main, wire-reinforced strap, it's rather un-astonishing. I'll stick to my upstrap.
Really? I am a big guy, and can wear this strap across my chest bandolier style no problem - with the strap at full length, the camera would sit on my hip. just how long does it need to be?

They can't be too cheap if mine has held up (still looks new) for 2 years +. I'm sure the upstrap is nice too, different strokes for different folks!
08-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TWoK Quote
are you sure you got a pac safe Carry Safe 100 camera strap

Dave
08-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Really? I am a big guy, and can wear this strap across my chest bandolier style no problem - with the strap at full length, the camera would sit on my hip. just how long does it need to be?

They can't be too cheap if mine has held up (still looks new) for 2 years +. I'm sure the upstrap is nice too, different strokes for different folks!
I mean the upstrap is significantly longer. I am 6'5" and I want my camera around my hip. While I can where this strap bandoleer style, it is not as long.
08-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
are you sure you got a pac safe Carry Safe 100 camera strap

Dave
Yes, I am very sure.